• 4(current)
Kodi 4K support broken on Shield TV Marshmallow
I read somewhere that AFTV doesn't enable third party apps to use 4k.
(2016-03-01, 06:41)RVD26 Wrote: I did the test video and the purple text is illegible.
My TV is 4K, my AVR is 4k and 2.2 compliant and I have the 2nd gen AFTV.
Videos via Amazon show as UHD.
I already have media codec surface selected.
Any suggestions on what is going wrong?

There is nothing wrong.

To get 4K from the 2nd gen AFTV your app needs to be approved by Amazon and outside of Amazons own content then only approved app is Netflix. See http://www.aftvnews.com/4k-video-output-...evelopers/
(2016-03-01, 10:46)jjd-uk Wrote: There is nothing wrong.

Oups. thanks JJ, hadn't notice it was about AFTV2. Exactly what you say...
(2016-03-01, 11:31)Koying Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 10:46)jjd-uk Wrote: There is nothing wrong.

Oups. thanks JJ, hadn't notice it was about AFTV2. Exactly what you say...

Glad I didn't buy one then, looks like the Shield is the better device for 4K users
Hello, so is there a ticket for this bug? Is it being fixed? I have the same problem.

Thank you all.
(2016-03-21, 22:11)danniiblack Wrote: Hello, so is there a ticket for this bug? Is it being fixed? I have the same problem.

I don't know. Did you open a ticket at Amazon to allow 4K to 3rd party apps?
@Koying

Hopefully you're safe and far away from the terror attacks there.
I was worried about you today too Koying
Shocked, but I'm well...
(2016-03-23, 11:02)Koying Wrote: Shocked, but I'm well...
For now...
(2016-03-21, 22:38)Koying Wrote: I don't know. Did you open a ticket at Amazon to allow 4K to 3rd party apps?
Plex now supports limited 4K streaming on Amazon Fire TV2.
Exclamation 
Hello, new to the forum, new to the nvidia shield And new to kodi so Bear with me:-)

I'm having the exact same problem as everybody else I cannot for the life of me get a 4K video file to output 4k resolution ? The file played fine but only in 1080p? Is this a bug?? Playing the 4K video and pressing L1 on the controller confirms that output resolution is 1080p, selecting original just makes the picture zoomed in slightly, any help would be great thanks
Same issue with an nVidia Shield 500GB running Shield Android TV version 3.1 (Build MRA58K, 6.0 Marshmallow) and Kodi 16.1-RC2 (Git: 2016-03-28).

4K Video in Kodi is scaled down to 1080p and then scaled up to 4K for my screen Undecided
Kodi r16 code moved to using hw display surfaces for video output, and as such the main UI is back in 1080P (vs forced 4K in r15). The video surface is sized to match the video, all handled in hw -- no need for Kodi to use OpenGL to separately scale and blend layers, hw does it all. Happens that r16 and OTA3 were conincident

I believe Koying has confirmed at multiple times that the onscreen information is incorrect for platforms using hw surfaces, it just mirrors the UI resolution.

Also read the entire thread. There have been other threads and responses and stickies on this topic. Smile
Hi

Just did the test with Kodi and my Shield.

I can't read the text when I play the file in Kodi on my shield, it's also the same on MXPlayer on the shield. My tv displays 4K res and is set to 4K60, surface set to ON.

When I play the file on my TV on the built in media player, I can read it.Sad

Pictures attached.

I'm feeling a bit duped Confused

Regards

watch gallery
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 4K support broken on Shield TV Marshmallow2