• 24(current)
XBMC Linux port questions and answers...
I'm probably going to "rock the boat" a bit with this post. I have a lot of respect for Team-XBMC and this post is meant as constructive criticism.

I feel we could do a LOT more to attract developers to the Linux port. At a minimum the front page of the website should have a highly visible notice saying that the Linux port is going on with links to the most relevant resources to support said developers.

We should support our users to make it easy to spread the word of XBMC and how frakkin cool it is. I think under the contribute section there should be a heading "Marketing resources" with something like the following:

Banners and buttons
Booklet (an XBMC-in-a-nutshell PDF)
Logos
How does XBMC compare to...?
Presentations
Reviews
Transcripts of Interviews with Team-XBMC
Posters/wallpapers
XBMC t-shirts and other merchandise
Information for the press

I'm doing what I can by spreading the word. Recently, I got a talented C++ colleague round my place to show him XBMC, what it's about and what it can do. His forum nickname is "mangobrain" and he kicked off this thread: (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=27509).

There must be SOMETHING that non-C++ developers can do at this stage to help? Me personally - my background is website backend development, my skill set is Perl, PHP and the general "LAMP" stack. I am also MySQL professionally certified and have designed and optimized databases for the last 10 years. I know XBMC uses SQLite, maybe there is something I can do to optimize the database/table design, normalize stuff, fix slow queries (if any), suggest indexes etc.

Let me say again, I have the utmost respect for Team-XBMC and I'm sure pike, yuvalt and the rest are doing the best they can while also living a life with other priorities.

Cheers,
Ice.
Here's 2 things we're currently looking for:

a Webmaster (mostly content but basic html skills wouldn't hurt)
a Vbulletin skinner to make a nice skin for this forum
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

How about you write up some of the marketing material for a start. I'm sure we'll find a space for it on the website.

And feel free to review the database code and suggest any improvements.

Basically: You know your skill set. You know what you can take on and what you can't take on. Get cracking!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I submitted a link on Digg (http://www.digg.com) to http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...rt_project I was hoping that drawing more attention to the Linux port might catch the attention of a few more people who can help the project along, hope thats OK.

The story just hit front page. I have no idea how much traffic this will send to the site, but I hope maybe it will get you guys a little more help.

The Digg story is here http://digg.com/linux_unix/XBMC_needs_yo...Linux_Port
Out of curiosity, why is that XBMC is built with only x86 processors in mind? I'm obviously thinking about the potential of this on the playstation 3. Neither Freevo or MythTV are dependent on specific architecture meaning it can be installed on a ps3. There are limitations of course due to current lockouts by Sony but from what I understand still manage to work alright with some functions
because we come from the xbox.
True. I guess when its finally released as a fuller product that people will be able to get it working on other systems.

Still think that logical step would be to port to ps3 but all in due time I guess
why? so we can have fun without a gpu?

dont give in to all the hype you CANNOT implement a gpu on a cell and expect decent performance.

at this point, ps3 is a very illogical target platform.
@andyd, you and others asking about PlayStation 3 should read this existing topic-thread dedicated for just discussions about porting XBMC to the PS3 => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=21849

That topic-thread goes in to details why XBMC has not been ported to the PS3 and why it take a long time until it will be (if ever).

...if you have any follow up questions regarding the PS3 then please post them in that topic-thread instead, thanks.
spiff Wrote:why? so we can have fun without a gpu?

dont give in to all the hype you CANNOT implement a gpu on a cell and expect decent performance.

at this point, ps3 is a very illogical target platform.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/my...ers/275682

Here is one example of someone making strides on getting better performance on the ps3. I'm not sure what others are looking for but all I'm looking to do is get the same capabilities that my xbox now has - meaning I don't really care if the system can't play hd videos as long as it can handle standard xvid files. The above goes to show that system, even though still locked down by Sony, can very well be capable of at least replicating what the xbox can do. Not perfect by any means at this point but then again we're really only the start of all this.

I'll refrain from making any more comments and default to the thread that Gamestar has pointed out.
i'm not thinking of the video operations, the cells are perfect for those.

i'm refering to the gui. we need direct3d or opengl to get decent performance there (try the current 2d renderer on a pc to get an idea...)

now let's keep it off this thread, but putting my answer there seemed silly.
i understand that a major obstacle to rapid development is the consideration for the myriad hardware available. Cant the xbmc->linux team specify the preferred mobo-gpu config so that the project can rapidly proceed along this path? There are many of us who want an HD capable XBMC in a quiet small footprint low energy box. We are willing to build it ourselves from off the shelf parts-but there are so many questionmarks that can be avoided if the devs SAY UP FRONT what they find the BEST.
There are two problems with this. Firstly, at the moment, there are no accelerated mpeg4 drivers for any of the popular graphics chipsets. So it's hard for the developers to commit themselves, because it's anyones guess which will be supported first. The second problem, is that users have their own ideas as to what sort of hardware they want. I'd be keen on a PS3 port myself, but would also like a small footprint box too.
bwanaaa Wrote:i understand that a major obstacle to rapid development is the consideration for the myriad hardware available. ......................

Try more the fact that we we asked for extra devs we got 2 that also have real lives and don't get paid to code XBMC so they do it when they want or have spare time
bwanaaa Wrote:i understand that a major obstacle to rapid development is the consideration for the myriad hardware available. Cant the xbmc->linux team specify the preferred mobo-gpu config so that the project can rapidly proceed along this path? There are many of us who want an HD capable XBMC in a quiet small footprint low energy box. We are willing to build it ourselves from off the shelf parts-but there are so many questionmarks that can be avoided if the devs SAY UP FRONT what they find the BEST.

mini-itx form factor
nvidia graphics card
enough cpu to do H264 at high bitrate (something around Intel E6600)
built in: IR, HDMI, TOSLINK, TV-Out (composite, component, svideo)
quiet

what questionmarks fo you have?
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Linux port questions and answers...7