[Solved] Kodi Can't Connect To Unprotected Shares
Edit: looks like my issue was that I had a user "bran" setup with smbpasswd and that was causing the issues. Still very odd that this only affected one device when about 5 different devices were all connected via SMB.

I despise Samba/SMB/CIFS (and Windows for that matter).... I have all of my multimedia on my NAS which runs Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, shared out via Samba. I was previously using a Windows box in my bedroom to access my multimedia and my Nvidia Shield TV out in my livingroom, served from my NAS, which was running FreeBSD at the time and everything worked well. Samba sharing without authentication works fine on my Windows 10 Desktop, Arch Linux and Android, and within Kodi on my Shield, but in my bedroom Kodi refuses to connect to the shares citing authentication failures (Windows still asks for authentication to the share for some reason, both W10 PCs have the same username, even after authenticating in Windows Kodi still doesn't work)! The workgroup doesn't even show up in Kodi when I choose the SMB option, yet no issue in Kodi on Android! I'm attempting to sync my 2 libraries using an SQL database BTW.

Here's a section of the debug log from that PC (Full Log)
Code:
13:03:31 T:5448   ERROR: XFILE::CWin32SMBDirectory::ConnectAndAuthenticate: Username/password combination was not accepted by "\\NAS\Movies" when trying to connect without username and without password
13:03:31 T:5448   DEBUG: CTextureCacheJob::GetImageHash - unable to stat url smb://NAS/Movies/Secret in Their Eyes (2015)/Secret in Their Eyes1080p-poster.jpg
13:03:33 T:5508   ERROR: XFILE::CWin32SMBDirectory::ConnectAndAuthenticate: Username/password combination was not accepted by "\\NAS\Movies" when trying to connect without username and without password
13:03:33 T:5508   DEBUG: CTextureCacheJob::GetImageHash - unable to stat url smb://NAS/Movies/Good Dinosaur, The (2015)/The Good Dinosaur720p-poster.jpg

Here's my /etc/samba/smb.conf
Code:
#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
   dns proxy = no
   security = user
   writeable = yes
   only guest = yes
   msdfs root = no
   log level = 2
   debug timestamp = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d  # Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace
   server role = standalone server
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   usershare allow guests = yes
   load printers = No
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /dev/null
   disable spoolss = Yes

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[TV]
   comment = TV Shows
   browseable = yes
   path = /mnt/storage/multimedia/tv
   guest ok = yes
   public = yes
   create mask = 0777
   writeable = Yes

[Movies]
   comment = Movies
   browseable = yes
   path = /mnt/storage/multimedia/movies
   guest ok = yes
   public = yes
   create mask = 0777
   writeable = Yes

And here's what /var/log/samba/[host IP] shows
Code:
[2016/02/25 02:20:18.099164,  2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:288(auth_check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [bran] -> [bran] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Why the hell is Windows trying to authenticate to a guest only share?!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] Kodi Can't Connect To Unprotected Shares0