Customising how XBMC selects a video file?
Movie Window,
Large Icon - List

When you use the "Select" button on the DVD remote on a highlighted movie thumbnail - the movie starts playing.

Can I set it up so that when I push the "Select" button on the movie thumbnail, the "Movie Info" page opens (instead of playing the movie) and the cursor jumps to the "Play" icon? (So that the next push of the "Select" button starts to movie).

Is this in an XML file that could be quickly modified?

Thx for any input
this would be a code level mod.
Pity Sad That's the way I think it should work - access the movies from the movies info page. Oh Well.
have you tried the media info view in the library?
Yes I've found that. I was thinking along the lines of making it easier for the WAF. While I can push the info button on the remote, you have to know to push it to get into the info page. A lot of systems can be surfed straight from the multi-way cursor and that would make it easier for a person not used to other systems (IMO Laugh ).

Personally, if I had a choice, I would prefer the movie info page accessed when you select the movie thumbnail, then launch the movie from the info page. Perhaps it could be a future option? I thought that was how it worked - difficult to know exactly when looking at info online. Now that I have XBMC I'm better acquainted with its action.

I appreciate your comments and taking the time to do so - regards Smile
use the media library. you then have an overview of all movies incl their thumbs. when you select one, the movie description from imdb is automatically displayed. what do you want more?
You can change your Keymap.xml so when your in the movie blade the select button will open the info section. Also you can make the play button play the movie in the same blade.
sakamoto Wrote:use the media library. you then have an overview of all movies incl their thumbs. when you select one, the movie description from imdb is automatically displayed. what do you want more?

This doesn't appear to be the case in the version loaded on my box. I seem to have a "Library Mode" fault (in movie window only). I'm about to upgrade my HD so will setup the 2.0.1. version first. See how I go...
caliliving714 Wrote:You can change your Keymap.xml so when your in the movie blade the select button will open the info section. Also you can make the play button play the movie in the same blade.

Now that's a good idea Nod . I have to learn how to do that, but I saw the XML file while playing.
KidKiwi Wrote:This doesn't appear to be the case in the version loaded on my box. I seem to have a "Library Mode" fault (in movie window only). I'm about to upgrade my HD so will setup the 2.0.1. version first. See how I go...

You need to get a newer build than 2.0.1. The new media info view was only added within the last month or so:

LaTropa64 Wrote:You need to get a newer build than 2.0.1. The new media info view was only added within the last month or so:

Thx for that. That's what I needed to see. Certainly looks different from the version on my box.

I'm still trying to figure out how to upgrade to a new version. The guy who did the mod chip used an installer that added two copies of XBMC to the Xbox's HD. I think what is happening is the bios is looking at the default xbe (E:apps), then somehow mapping out to the other version which is in Q:. Learning a little more every day. I think I'll need some help on this one, but I'll set up a new thread for it.
KidKiwi, Q: is a virtual drive which represent the root of your XBMC install. This is usually something like F:\Apps\xbmc\

If you download a new version of xbmc and ftp it to your xbox, you can launch it from within your existing XBMC to test it out. By the time you've decided that this is a version which is stable and works well for you, you'll find a way to make it the default version.

Good luck ! You'll be amazed with how many improvements have been made lately.
SandmanCL Wrote:KidKiwi, Q: is a virtual drive which represent the root of your XBMC install. This is usually something like F:\Apps\xbmc\

If you download a new version of xbmc and ftp it to your xbox, you can launch it from within your existing XBMC to test it out. By the time you've decided that this is a version which is stable and works well for you, you'll find a way to make it the default version.

Good luck ! You'll be amazed with how many improvements have been made lately.

Thx for that info. Can you please explain this "virtual" drive some more?

The way I think it works is that the bios looks in e:\apps\default.xbe at startup. The default.xbe then tells whatever to look at the copy in "Q" (which also has a "default.xbe", as that seems to be the place all the changes I make are stored. I looked at the "default.xbe" in the e:\apps\ folder with C-Xbox tool and saw that an alternate name came up that said "RemoteX". Not sure what that means.

Question: Which copy of XBMC should I replace? "Q" (virtual folder) or E:\apps\? I'd like to be able to run a stable version and switch over to the latest releases for a play.

I figured if I renamed the default.xbe file in the e:\apps dir, and then installed a replacement from the 2.0.1 version then perhaps that would start it up because the RemoteX version doesn't tell it to look in Q?

As I'm sure you're aware I'm really new to all this. Most of it is scary because I don't want to stuff-up my box, but I think I'm sorting it out slowly.

Thx for any input Smile
Start by reading this:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki

Q: is just a pointer to wherever you have XBMC's default.xbe placed. Nothing special about it. It just gives us a shortcut to save us writing the entire path (eg E:\Apps\XBMC\skin becomes Q:\skin)

There's plenty of info on the wiki on how to install + upgrade. There's also a readme that comes with the T3CH build you're likely to download.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Start by reading this:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki

Q: is just a pointer to wherever you have XBMC's default.xbe placed. Nothing special about it. It just gives us a shortcut to save us writing the entire path (eg E:\Apps\XBMC\skin becomes Q:\skin)

There's plenty of info on the wiki on how to install + upgrade. There's also a readme that comes with the T3CH build you're likely to download.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thx Jonathan for the reply. Yep...I been pouring over the Wiki. There really is a lot of great info there, but not always fully comprehensible for someone as fresh as me Big Grin. I've been reading about shortcuts, but I still can't quite figure this "Q" business. Of all the pics I've seen of XMBC setups (file structure) none have had a Q. I'll keep at it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Customising how XBMC selects a video file?0