[split;OT rant] WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / Android Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2016-02-27, 07:32)ChristianTroy Wrote: yes: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/62c0...d4443df3bc

if you take a look at the commit list of the re-branded WeTek Media Player you will see there are another bunch of commits, one that for me is crucial the way I use my device... being able to have it suspend while Kodi is playing something -> https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/co...1561b87ee4

Thanks I had thought so but i just wanted to confirm that Big Grin.

So then what is wrxtasy all bent out of shape about? Hes giving u guys at Wetek a bad name with his silly posts.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
I honestly don't see all this fuss... this thing generated by a wrong interpretation of open source.
At the current state, unless people wants to use bleeding edge software, if you wanna make use of HD audio on a S905 or S812/S805 device you have the option to use WeTek Media Player that is complying to XBMC foundation rules.
There is stuff that is scheduled for 17.x but since master branch is a fast evolving tree where things can break, it's better having a stable build that can backport some of the future features.
For example on Kodi 16.x on S905 running 3.14 kernel the resolutions will be messed up because Amlogic changed the name of some of them (1080p became 1080p60hz, 4k became 2160p, etc) and the patch submitted by codesnake is also scheduled for 17.x and already present in master -> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/92f3...be8bd400b8
@dukester,
These are not silly statements, quite the opposite in fact. You guys need to understand the GPL re-distribution rules before you even start throwing around statements such as comparing VidOn to WeTek. The two companies are so far apart regarding GPL re-distribution compliance that it is stupid to even make a comparison.

My post previous post outlines what is entirely legally possible within the GPL rules if WeTek was even considering shutting up shop and concentrating on their own AML Hardware platforms, to the detriment of all other AML Hardware.
They will not adopt that model of course and they are a company that is both very open and compliant in regards to licensing and code re-distribution, to benefit everyone. Smile

(2016-02-27, 07:57)wrxtasy Wrote: @dukester,
These are not silly statements, quite the opposite in fact. You guys need to understand the GPL re-distribution rules before you even start throwing around statements such as comparing VidOn to WeTek. The two companies are so far apart regarding GPL re-distribution compliance that it is stupid to even make a comparison.

My post previous post outlines what is entirely legally possible within the GPL rules if WeTek was even considering shutting up shop and concentrating on their own AML Hardware platforms, to the detriment of all other AML Hardware.
They will not adopt that model of course and they are a company that is both very open and compliant in regards to licensing and code re-distribution, to benefit everyone. Smile

Your making some assumption that i dont understand the GPL and that i have some problem with Wetek Media Player, but thats not it at all, the problem i have is we had this same conversation a week ago about how your misleading people by making it sound like HD audio support in Kodi (for amlogic) was implemented and written by Wetek and if it wasnt for Wetek no amlogic device would have hd audio support, when in fact the truth is a Kodi dev started HD audio support for amlogic hardware, then it was also worked on and finished pretty much by another Kodi dev and kinda tested with some Wetek input. Then Wetek used that code and released it with kodi 16 (branded as wetek media player as per a request or the rules or whatever or to avoid confusion iirc) which is great as it gives us a stable platform for HD audio until kodi 17 is released.. But when you make silly posts like you did "if you were in charge" you make it sound like you think Wetek should stoop down to Mini X (and basically vidon) levels because you seem to think that without Wetek amlogic devices are useless. Also, the open source, everyone benefits stuff you talk about day in and day out doesnt apply today i take it eh. And honestly your brazen posts in this thread have kept me from buying a Wetek device, and i know Wetek or yourself probably could care less but its the truth, i feel better about chinese crap supported devices because they dont have fanboys spouting negativity about other devices 24/7 Big Grin
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
I again don't get all this discussion. Wetek does everything to help us developers to bring kodi in general and of course also their own product (it is a company that can only do what it does, when it can sell some units) as far as it can go.

The most important part for me is:
- Everything kodi related is opensource, everyone can find it and download it, patch it, use it
- They actively contribute to kodi, see the commits done by codesnake to kodi's master

One cannot expect more. And to those that think, that wetek HAS TO provide android roms for other brands ... that is just ridicioulus. I have never seen Lenovo writing a driver for Hewlett Packard ...

Edit: Damn, just 1 minute after posting - I was spammed with: But this and that company does this and that ... I don't care. I like what wetek does in the above concrete cases without blaming others that might do some things worse and other stuff better.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yes totally agree with all that fritsch has said.

As I've said before Open Source is a collaborative effort, everyone pitches in and for AML and the some of the patches (especially a bunch of Kernel fixes) that get redistributed via Github codesnake is the bloke.

The fact that Dukester is here in a WeTek thread, complaining about a bunch of us stating the bleeding obvious shows that he too cares about the direction the AML platform is heading and who might be contributing to Kodi's master code. Wink

(2016-02-27, 08:45)fritsch Wrote: I again don't get all this discussion. Wetek does everything to help us developers to bring kodi in general and of course also their own product (it is a company that can only do what it does, when it can sell some units) as far as it can go.

The most important part for me is:
- Everything kodi related is opensource, everyone can find it and download it, patch it, use it
- They actively contribute to kodi, see the commits done by codesnake to kodi's master

One cannot expect more. And to those that think, that wetek HAS TO provide android roms for other brands ... that is just ridicioulus. I have never seen Lenovo writing a driver for Hewlett Packard ...

Edit: Damn, just 1 minute after posting - I was spammed with: But this and that company does this and that ... I don't care. I like what wetek does in the above concrete cases without blaming others that might do some things worse and other stuff better.

I think what Wetek is doing is great, I have used an s8xx straight up Chinese device that Codesnake still releases updates for currently for over a year and it has been a great device. Whoever was comparing the Wetek media player release to what Vidon does not understand the difference clearly. BUT, Why wrxtasy needs to be on a smear campaign to promote the Core and run other devices through the mud all in the same post usually is still unclear to me and i think he brings alot of negative attention to their company on this forum. thats just me tho.
(2016-02-27, 09:16)dukester Wrote: I think what Wetek is doing is great, I have used an s8xx straight up Chinese device that Codesnake still releases updates for currently for over a year and it has been a great device. Whoever was comparing the Wetek media player release to what Vidon does not understand the difference clearly. BUT, Why wrxtasy needs to be on a smear campaign to promote the Core and run other devices through the mud all in the same post usually is still unclear to me and i think he brings alot of negative attention to their company on this forum. thats just me tho.
This is complete and utter BS! Attacking wrxtasy on this is rediculous on your part and you know it.
@dukester,

I think you should put your tinfoil hat on as there is clearly a conspiracy at work if we follow your thought process.

Smear campaign, don't made me laugh so hard that I nearly crack a rib !

Yeah like I never mention the nVIDIA Shield and all the extra features that brings to the Android Table. I virtually anointed it the Android Kodi champ over in the Pick the Right Kodi box. I've always been banging on about MINIX support too.

I would rather blatantly point out a devices flaws in gory detail than have some Newb accuse me of not giving them the full picture before purchase. Its just that some brand new devices (AML in particular), get rushed to market and have more than their average share of them bugs contained in them upon initial release than most other hardware platforms. That is simply stating known, proven facts.

(2016-02-27, 09:39)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-02-27, 09:16)dukester Wrote: I think what Wetek is doing is great, I have used an s8xx straight up Chinese device that Codesnake still releases updates for currently for over a year and it has been a great device. Whoever was comparing the Wetek media player release to what Vidon does not understand the difference clearly. BUT, Why wrxtasy needs to be on a smear campaign to promote the Core and run other devices through the mud all in the same post usually is still unclear to me and i think he brings alot of negative attention to their company on this forum. thats just me tho.
This is complete and utter BS! Attacking wrxtasy on this is rediculous on your part and you know it.

Not really, just do a forum search for amlogic and read for few minutes,or pull up that s905 thread or the mini x or the 3d thread or the pick the right box thread and i guarantee youll find multiple posts where wrxtasy runs certain amlogic devices through the mud while touting the abilities of the Wetek devices (even when they are virtually identical and supported by the same guy). Furthermore, in that same amount of time you can easily find others posts were they feel the same as me on the matter and have also called wrxtasy on it.. so it cant be COMPLETE and utter BS since its not only me thinking it. Its totally fine to have your opinions but i think if you want to be the guy in charge of the wetek thread, the pick the right box thread, and the mini x u1(despite even owning one iirc) you should at least call it as it is and not cherry pick certain features that seem to appeal to yourself or the Wetek devices (4k HEVC 10bit support is a great example of him downplaying the importance of it in a device currently),
Fucking rubbish and you know it.

From the Pick the Right Kodi Box thread...
Quote: 24p / 10-bit / HDMI 2.0 from here onwards...a peek into the future...without a Delorean !

You will need a compatible 4K HDMI 2.0 10-bit TV to take full advantage of these devices.
10-bit Video gives over 1 Billion colors vs 16,777,216 for 8-bit, see HERE for further details.
Even though these devices can decode 10-bit, video output will be 8-bit only due to lack of video player Software support (this includes Kodi)
The new AMLogic S905 has a fresh out of the wrapper, Android Lollipop SDK, new Linux Kernel and comes with upgraded 10-bit / HDMI 2.0 tech specs compared to the S812-H's.
Quote: - The nVIDIA Shield
A slick fast, 24p, Plug N Play, 10-bit HDMI 2.0 - Android Kodi media player & games machine.

If a shit buggy device gets released that is going to cause new users problems, one that comes with bullshit marketing and an outrageous list of "Pie in the Sky" unproven claims expect me to call it like it is. hdmkv would do exactly the same.

If Newbs cannot work out they actually need a 10-bit device to decode 10-bit material, then heaven help them. Its like stating you need a Netflix App to watch Netflix services. Its blindingly obvious one would think.

I think someone is getting off on your defensive reactions wrxtasy, so why bother to even further react on it...
I really can't see or find any of the accusations dukester made...

I think WeTeK is doing a real good job helping the community and that praises them!
All the support just makes me want to buy such a device, not looking to blame others about smearing...
LG 77G1 • Onkyo TX-RZ70 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i A:QI65C • 2x BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Vero V (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) • Sony UBP-X800M2 • Sony PlayStation 5
(2016-02-27, 11:58)Theetjuh Wrote: I think someone is getting off on your defensive reactions wrxtasy, so why bother to even further react on it...
I really can't see or find any of the accusations dukester made...

I think WeTeK is doing a real good job helping the community and that praises them!
All the support just makes me want to buy such a device, not looking to blame others about smearing...

im just calling it how it is, i could care less if you see what i see Wink the whole (now missing) "if i was the owner" post was exactly what im referring too. are we a bunch of teenagers or a bunch of audio and videophiles? I dont owe WeTek shit for the functionality of my devices either btw folks, and im getting tired of seeing wrxtasy telling everyone that we do, big deal. move on then if you dont agree, if you want to call what i said an attack then so be it. I really wasnt trying to derail this thread in anyway, i asked a very simple and direct question , Are Fritch' HD audio work/commits now added to the "master" branch as well as weteks player and available in kodi nightlies? I knew the answer before asking, but even when DE and CT pointed this out it seems people were under some assumption that you need a wetek media player to get HD audio support in Kodi currently. What follows in this thread seems more like an attack on me as i go back and re read. I surely didnt mention anywhere anything about having an issue with Weteks Media player, or did i question its GPL compliance, why i got "talked" down to by numerous people about GPL is kinda puzzling as i made zero mention about any of that in this thread.
(2016-02-27, 10:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Fucking rubbish and you know it.

From the Pick the Right Kodi Box thread...
Quote: 24p / 10-bit / HDMI 2.0 from here onwards...a peek into the future...without a Delorean !

You will need a compatible 4K HDMI 2.0 10-bit TV to take full advantage of these devices.
10-bit Video gives over 1 Billion colors vs 16,777,216 for 8-bit, see HERE for further details.
Even though these devices can decode 10-bit, video output will be 8-bit only due to lack of video player Software support (this includes Kodi)
The new AMLogic S905 has a fresh out of the wrapper, Android Lollipop SDK, new Linux Kernel and comes with upgraded 10-bit / HDMI 2.0 tech specs compared to the S812-H's.
Quote: - The nVIDIA Shield
A slick fast, 24p, Plug N Play, 10-bit HDMI 2.0 - Android Kodi media player & games machine.

If a shit buggy device gets released that is going to cause new users problems, one that comes with bullshit marketing and an outrageous list of "Pie in the Sky" unproven claims expect me to call it like it is. hdmkv would do exactly the same.

If Newbs cannot work out they actually need a 10-bit device to decode 10-bit material, then heaven help them. Its like stating you need a Netflix App to watch Netflix services. Its blindingly obvious one would think.

you can quote whatever, but we both know thats not what your "pick the right box thread" said about 10 bit HEVC at first, ill admit you do edit/erase inconsistencies when they are pointed out to you most of the time.

speaking of 10 bit too, Even this thread title could be semi misleading to some in regards to 4K HEVC imo, to a newb as you call new users, some might think the core covers 4K HEVC content but we know it only covers a small part of it and in fact most available 4k HEVC content currently wont play on the device(its a soc limitation, so no one is to blame about it) its just how it is, but if someone who fails to do the proper research makes a descision based on this thread title they might be disappointed, and on many occasions you fail to mention to people looking for an device that supports HD Netflix that they will only get 2ch audio (again, thats probably ok for some) but its the fact you just dont bother mentioning it but still make it sound like its making the Core a "next level" device.
That Tin Foil Hat of must be restricting your vision...

Jeez, I really wish you would do some reading before typing...

Page #1 of this thread edited 21.Feb into a more readable format:
Quote:Known issues:
VC-1, 29.970fps interlaced content (very slight juddering), a lot of media players have issues with this combo.
Sample HERE, VC-1, 23.976fps progressive plays just fine
Rare, unusual Variable Frame Rate HEVC has been known to cause playback issues
Netflix audio is 2.0 only due to some stupid Netflix restriction.
I'm not going to bother replying again. If people cannot read or even bother, to you know doing a bit of their own research instead of being spoon fed I cannot help them. There are plenty of links to off thread reviews to take a look at as well.

I will put a slash between 4K and HEVC as I see the point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split;OT rant] WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / Android Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)0