Kodi Jarvis Setup Issue
Hello all,

I am new to Kodi Forums but been using Kodi for my home system for about 8 months. So I have an issue when I play a movie from my movie list. It freezes when I start watching a movie and I cant seem to find a resolution. Below is how my Kodi Setup is configured.

1. I have Kodi 16.0 on a Laptop - this laptop is strictly using Kodi and nothing else on a Windows 8.1 OS. It is connected directly to my router via LAN connection.

2. I have my movies on an external Hard drive that is connected via USB 2.0 to my Desktop PC downstairs that is connected to my network via Wifi.

It seems that I am having either a USB issue where maybe it needs to be connected to a USB 3.0 (which I dont have one) or Wifi issues from my desktop PC to my Kodi Laptop.

I know for a fact that if I disconnect my external HD and connect straight to the Kodi Laptop, it will play the movies no problem, but I want to not go that route.

Is there a better scenario without connection the External HD to the Kodi Laptop? I am up for open discussion about it. Thank you.
USB disk have the problem, that they shutdown after a while - in addition, WiFi is no a good solution for Streaming videos...
How are the files mounted to the Kodi Laptop? SMB, Local share or how?
go to Movies - Files and check if all the Movie Folders are listed....
Maybe it just takes a while until the movie really is streaming - due to wake up PC, USB Disk, spinup Drive, read, stream.
Other Solution: try adding the USB Disk in the Router (some do support Sharing) - or buy yourself a NAS.
Or at least, buy a USB 3 Case, of PC has already USB.
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
Agree w/ A-Swiss wifi is your bottleneck
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
Its off a Network map drive. The Kodi PC has a mapped drive pointing to my external. In Kodi, I have it pointing to the mapped drive. All movies are listed and I even paused the movie just in case streaming is lagged.

My only solution without an expense of buy a USB 3.0 card is to plug the external drive directly to the Kodi PC. Oh I did forget to mention that the Kodi PC is connected to the TV via HDMI. The Wireless router and cable modem are behind the TV on the 2nd floor. External is on the first floor connected to my desktop PC.

I would test with a Patch cable but I dont have one long enough to reach the upstairs router.
Oh I also did a speedtest on my desktop PC and download/upload speeds are excellent 80 down and 5-7 up. So I don't know if Wifi is the issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Jarvis Setup Issue0