Req Digital Analog TV
Hi, I'm just asking a question here. For a while, I've had these "DTV" Converter Boxes laying around from the big switch from Analog to Digital Television broadcasts, and since my new(now "kinda old") TV has one built in These 2 have just been sitting. I've seen some photos/videos of Kodi/OSMC connected to a cable line and being able to watch TV in their home media centres. I'm wondering if the Kodi software can allow for one of those DTV boxes instead of Cable TV, for emergency and other purposes like camping/etc. Any advice is appreciated! Smile
The converter boxes were provided to convert analog to digital for over the air television. At least in the US, you still use the same coaxial connector and cable for digital TV. Depending on how old the TV is, it may already have a ATSC tuner to pick up digital over the air television. Most consumer TVs less than 6 years have this.

To answer your main question. You can use a USB or network tuner and playback over the air digital television with Kodi. You can not use your analog to digital boxes alone to achieve this as they likely have a coaxial in and coaxial out connection.
Thanks for the reply.

Out of my 2 they both have Coax Ant. In and TV Out, but on of them has a RCA Comp. Out(?) labeled "Video", "L"(Left), and "R"(Right). They both have a switch for switching between Ch 3 and Ch 4 additionally.
It would be easier to get a USB or network tuner and not use your analog to digital converters. Plus, using such converter would not allow you to get the channels in HD. They do have some value though, I'd suggest selling them to pay for the tuner.
Thread moved to hardware, as it is nothing specific to the Pi.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for the info. Me personally I'm not looking for HD, I can pass on SD. I'm looking into USB tuners as well though.
*bump* *Added a Duplicate Topic on the OSMC forums*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Digital Analog TV0