Remote control - TK617
TK617 2.4G Wireless Six Axis Gyroscope Full Keyboard Air Mouse Remote Control

This looks like a great RF remote with an air-mouse plus keyboard, and it's pretty cheap. Has anyone tried it? Seems like it got good feedback.

http://www.gearbest.com/mice-keyboards/pp_26764.html
Tried this remote for some time and put it aside again.
Even though it worked 'ok' (there's a thread in the forum with some keymaps to iron out some flaws),i found that only the colour keys and power button are programmable on the type that i used (if i remember correctly there are three types), and the keyboard on the back had to be just the right angle to function correctly. If i tilted it just a tiny bit it would become unpredictable.

I swapped it for a minix A2 lite remote that is quite similar, but proved more solid and trustworthy. I only miss the programnable power IR button...
Mine broke, but even before it broke it has some major flaws. The arrangement of the number pad was bad, because it shared a 4th column of buttons that feels the same, so you have to look down to make sure what keys you press. Likewise, playback controls lacked distinct or logical placement. The biggest flaw of mine (which might have changed in later revisions) was that the air mouse would default to on, and the select button gets taken over by this mode. Even if you press the button to turn air mouse off, if it "sleeps" for a few minutes, and you press buttons again, it defaults back to on.

I hate it :)
Thanks for the feedback
Has anyone really used a remote with airmouse/keyboard that was GREAT? I sincerely doubt these two features are as polished as traditional remote control functions. They're compromises at best, which is why no serious company has got into them yet.
Yes, I reiterate that I am very happy with my Rii i13. It has more buttons than needed for basic kodi use, although with more advanced use more buttons start to be helpful.

In fact I have almost all the front side IR buttons programed, and I use most of them regularly in Kodi, except for the numbers, although they can be useful in EPG type screens. With my EPG addon I can jump to a channel via the number buttons.

It also means that I have been able to program a few dedicated kodi buttons too, such as full screen toggle, info, home screen, etc, as well as a couple of others specific to my setup, such as switch screen, show windows 10 start menu (navigable by D pad), etc. So the extra buttons come in useful actually.

So if you want an easy solution to do away with all your remotes it fits the bill, because it can learn 8 different devices. So you can easily add Kodi, your TV, your Receiver, your DVD player, etc, and put away all the other remotes.

I did a lot of searching when I was looking for a new remote and the Rii i13 was the only one that ticked all the boxes for me and didnt have any major functionality issues.

The issue Ned spoke of seems common on a lot of these remotes. On the i13 you have 2 options, there is a physical switch to turn the mouse/keyboard mode between Off and Auto, however Auto works as it should with the mouse/keyboard switching off with inactivity and staying off until you press one of the mouse buttons again (which are only on the keyboard side).

In the case of the i13 each side of the remote is truly independent, one is IR, and one is RF.

For a simple learning remote + mouse/keyboard I am very pleased with it.

You should sincerely try something like this rather continuing to doubt Smile

I will say however that users also need to think about their devices, their setup, and their needs when deciding on a remote.

I have had Harmony remotes before, and after some pain you can end up with nice functionality, but they simply don't make a remote model with a keyboard, so that rules out that option. Plus they are also a little pricey.

My list of requirements was:

- Normal remote control form factor
- At least some IR learning, to have an economic universal remote setup
- RF fly mouse/gyro/keyboard combo, so that I had a keyboard for basic searching, and typing passwords, etc in kodi
(the gyro mouse part isn't for regular use in my case but it can be needed sometimes depending on the OS and/or device)
- Rechargeable battery
- Decent quality

For my device I needed to pair it with a FLIRC, but that will be device dependant. Having said that it has resulted in a very good setup for kodi (and I'm not reliant on whatever remote/keys/programming the device manufacturer has decided to provide for kodi either).

Here is a photo from an old thread which I thought was entertaining, the Rii i13 replaced all those remotes Rofl http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1549115 (there are a few post on that page and the next regarding the Rii i13)

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Think I'm just going to go for the Harmony 650 if i get a new remote. Anyone have experience with it? Battery life, speed, etc?
I have nothing in particular against the Harmony range, and I used to own one and was very happy (years ago) but not having a keyboard totally rules them out for me now. But they are still good remotes.

If you are no longer so worried about more buttons, why would you go for the Harmony over the Rii i13 if you only need basic use?

The advantages of the Harmony over the Rii i13 that I can think of (because I did this in my head before buying a new remote) are:

- Macro functionality, switching multiple devices at the same time
(I simplified my home setup so this is no longer so necessary for me, and the i13 covers some of it by being capable of IR learning)

- Huge online database of existing codes
(I simply learn the buttons from my device remote directly to my i13, it takes a few minutes)

- Screen
(no argument there, its the best/only way to easily make some custom buttons/labels)

Disadvantages:

- No keyboard or gyro mouse
- Complex programming via the internet
- Quite a bit bigger
- No rechargeable battery

The above pretty much applies to all the Harmony range except more expensive models have a rechargeable battery.

Personally, if I go back to a more complex setup in my home, and or I want to have more home automation (lights, blinds, a/c, etc) then I will add a Harmony Hub setup, so that it may perform these complex IR, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth tasks, but I will still use the Rii i13 for normal Kodi navigation, etc, unless Harmony brings out a similar remote/keyboard combination in the future.

Hope this helps Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control - TK6170