Rpi2 vs Rpi3 OpenElec
Hi,

Are there any reviews comparing OpenElec on the Rpi2 and Rpi3?

I'm considering if its worth upgrading...

Thanks.
I personally think its worth an upgrade, overall its just a much smoother experience.
Yes. The GUI is noticeably more fluid on the Pi 3. If you are buying now, there's no real point in buying a 2 instead of a 3 for OpenElec duties IMHO. Also, the CPU has a bit more grunt, so HEVC decode is improved at 1080p resolutions (i.e. the 3 can play higher bitrate HEVC stuff than the 2 I believe).

However if you already have a 2 and are happy with it, I'm not sure upgrading to a 3 is necessary, though if the cost isn't a major issue (and for many the Pi 3 is still very low cost), and you like a snappier experience, then you are unlikely to be disappointed. And as the new 64bit CPU is exploited we may well see further performance improvements (once the 32bit VC4 vs 64 bit ARM issues have been solved)
I wouldn't buy a Pi3 for HEVC, unless you plan to play low to medium bitrate HEVC. You should also get a heatsink if u DO plan to use HEVC, the Flirc case is a good option. I haven't used the Pi2 though I can confirm that the Pi3 is indeed very snappy, at least using Confluence.
Well I'm convinced, I've just ordered two!

Thanks.
I think you'll enjoy the RPi 3 Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rpi2 vs Rpi3 OpenElec0