stream or run XB games from network server
has anyone tried (or succeeded in) streaming or running xb games from network server?

i'd like to do it within the evox.ini file, but if i have to use xbmc that's not a huge issue.

thanks,

rob
err to play games over your network you need to have networking running (from bios / app ).. when you load the game the abilitys of xbmc or evox for that matter will no longer be available, thus noway to play game over the network.

sorry dude

komp
i suppose this *could* be supported by a future bios, at the expense of decent network gaming.  still the only system that would work now that i can think of would be a program that 'buffers' the game from the network.  as in it deletes any game you had selected previously then copies the current game to the xbox.  this would only require one game to be stored localy at any one time.  of course this just saves people with small hdds ftping in every time they want to swap games.  of course how much of a pain in the arse a system like this would be depends on the speed of your network.

still for a lot of us this would take ages, and if anybody did program an app. like this i hope they would have the sense of humour to display a c64 style loading screen while you wait for the game to download for half an hour (or wayyy more for wireless b) just like the 'good ol days'.

it looks like a bigger hdd or dvd burner for you. as the option i have stated is, quite frankly, silly!

ttfn
although while i'm kicking around pointless ideas.  theoreticaly how much bandwidth would be needed to decently stream a game, if such a thing were possible?

ttfn
the bios would need to support this. probably easiest way would be to have a bios with a built-in smb client, so some smb share shows up on xbox as a drive. need a pretty big bios to do this, though, as libsmb is over 2 megs. and you'd have to customize the bios to have your smb settings in it. if that was done though, shoudn't be too difficult. wouldn't need to buffer the whole game, the xbox would just see that network drive as if it were a local harddrive.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
(nmrs @ april 09 2004,17:24 Wrote:the bios would need to support this. probably easiest way would be to have a bios with a built-in smb client, so some smb share shows up on xbox as a drive. need a pretty big bios to do this, though, as libsmb is over 2 megs. and you'd have to customize the bios to have your smb settings in it. if that was done though, shoudn't be too difficult. wouldn't need to buffer the whole game, the xbox would just see that network drive as if it were a local harddrive.
hey doing it like this would really eleiminate any issues with the xbox 2 drive type (ram type of basis i think it may be Huh) as always "neccessity is the mother of invention"

lets see...

peace out
duh, completely forgot that once the game loads network connectivity is gone.

i do like the idea of a temporary load, but your right, even at 100mbps / full duplex it would take a 4gb game about 20 minutes to load.

my idea was to create a boot dvd with the network pointers to my server, pick the game, and play away. i'm now up to about 120 titles and i didn't want to burn and physically store those dvd's.

=====

so, any ideas about a usb hard drive, possibley connected through one of the controllers memory ports, or off the xb itself?

rob
i'm pretty sure that the usb hd to xbox thing has been asked and the answer was an empahtic no- plus i don't think its usb2 so i doubt 11mb/s is enough bandwidth for an xbox game
ok, i think it is clear that starting an app from a smb share enver will be possible with any xbox app. so i move this to the "xbox general" forum.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
stream or run XB games from network server0