v17 More transparency in scaling options
Hi! Reading this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2294503 brought me back to regular DVDPlayer (I tend to use DSPlayer whenever possible) and I once more faced the... obfuscation? of settings there.

I think it would be nice to tidy up the scaling settings, making them more transparent toward the user with regard to when they are selected, how they are selected and when they are in effect. As things stand now, it's pretty much impossible to understand what Kodi decides to do with one's videos and based on what logic. At least when using Settings in Expert configuration some more clarity on this would help greatly, IMO.

Thanks for reading.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Am I the only one thinking the current set up is confusing?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Not the only one I'm afraid.
I myself had this question, and also the different types of render methods available and what each do?

All searched info resulted in something to do with algorithms used, which is still confusing.
Would be nice to have a more detailed explanation.
The main things unclear are:

1) What are the HQ scalers enabled in Settings/Video/Acceleration/Enable HQ scalers for scaling above xx%?

2) Why is the above setting under Acceleration and not Playback?

3) Why are default deinterlacing and scaling methods in the OSD of a specific video? The option to have specific options configurable through the OSD is excellent. The need to access the OSD on a specific video to set defaul options for ALL videos is counterintuitive at best.
(2016-05-12, 12:16)ashlar Wrote: 3) Why are default deinterlacing and scaling methods in the OSD of a specific video? The option to have specific options configurable through the OSD is excellent. The need to access the OSD on a specific video to set defaul options for ALL videos is counterintuitive at best.

What would be awesome is if you had to save the video settings (instead of just backing out of them) and there were two save buttons: "set for all videos" and "set for this video". Functionally the same as we have now, but much more intuitive.
Yeah, Ned, clearly more intuitive. But the "set for all videos" should be *a* method of setting them. Not *the* method.

Maybe it's hard to do, I don't know, but the "for all videos settings" entry definitely belongs to Settings/Video/Playback, in my (in this case not too humble, I'd admit) opinion. The same for scaling options overall. The whole "Acceleration" entry is in my opinion outdated. Nowadays pretty much everything handles decoding through HW, it should be brought back to Playback or renamed and made a more comprehensive set of settings.

Smile

Edit: I see this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2132182 and I'm interested in that discussion. Too bad it's off limits for regular users. I hope that what I mention in this thread can be part of that discussion. Especially the "set for all videos" in the OSD that should be in settings (together with all relevant configurations).
This is not different from settings such as Replaygain. Who would look for replaygain settings in the music OSD if they were not found under the regular settings section? The same should be true for videos with scaling, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
More transparency in scaling options0