Stop menu links from caching?
I've searched in circles around this, but come up with tons of unrelated stuff Smile

Is there a tweak to force home menu items to go to their assigned item rather than the last place you navigated into it?

For instance, I have a link on home menu for video addons. If I use the link to go into addons, and go into an addon and one of it's categories, unless I back all the way out or go up every directory, the next time I click video addons on the home menu it will take me to the last place I was in the last addon. I would like the video addons home menu link to always take me to the video addons list, even if I hit Home instead of backing out of the last addon.

(I think) I've poked around every setting and I didn't see anything specific to that in settings of several skins.
Not sure I'm getting the same issue you seem to have at least in your post. I pop into add-ons fromn a sub menu, pick e.g. Smithsonian, get into a sub menu and play something then [exit] and back out to the home page, If I re-enter add-ons, I'm present with a list of the add-ons, but focused on the add-ons that start with 'S' (I guess there's a presumption you'll want to dig back in where you left off) it's part of Kodi's caching system and makes the interface as fast as it is. I suppose you could pose your question/suggestion to the feature request thread if you want to change this behaviour. I kinda like it the way it is... on a reboot of Kodi the cache is gone anyway.

If Kodi is not responding in the fashion I describe, you might check out Caches explained (wiki) and leave a proper debug log attached to this thread.

Suggestion: Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki) might be a work around for you.
What skin are you using? You might be able to create a custom menu item that always goes to the root of the Add-ons folder.

Edit: A simple solution may be to add the video-addons to Favorites. I believe you should be able to avoid this issue then.
Edit 2: Just saw PatK mentioned Super Favorites after posting last edit, would try that.
No doubt the submenu is opening the video library addons node aka addons://sources/video/ which remembers your navigation in the directory. Maybe possible to create a custom video node that would force opening the top-level folder?

scott s.
I just tested with adding a custom menu item to Confluence.

Code:
                    <item id="6969">
                        <label>VIDEO ADD-ONS</label>
                        <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;library://video/addons.xml/&quot;,return)</onclick>
                    </item>

1. Opened a the menu item.
2. Opened a video add-on I know has sub-folders (NRK Nett-TV) and selected a folder.
3. Pressed Escape
4. Re-opened the menu item and I'm back at the root of Video Add-ons

If I do same thing via Video>Add-ons>NRK Nett-TV, it will remember the last used folder.
(2016-03-29, 01:52)PatK Wrote: Not sure I'm getting the same issue you seem to have at least in your post. I pop into add-ons fromn a sub menu, pick e.g. Smithsonian, get into a sub menu and play something then [exit] and back out to the home page, If I re-enter add-ons, I'm present with a list of the add-ons, but focused on the add-ons that start with 'S' (I guess there's a presumption you'll want to dig back in where you left off) it's part of Kodi's caching system and makes the interface as fast as it is. I suppose you could pose your question/suggestion to the feature request thread if you want to change this behaviour. I kinda like it the way it is... on a reboot of Kodi the cache is gone anyway.

If Kodi is not responding in the fashion I describe, you might check out Caches explained (wiki) and leave a proper debug log attached to this thread.

Suggestion: Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki) might be a work around for you.
I do use Super Folders for some home menu links and it does not do the caching on the skin I am able to add menu items directly from Super Folders (Nebula) but it does do it on skins that Super Folders have to be added to Favorites before linking to menu.

This really wasn't a problem on my box, as I was in the habit of just holding the back button down on the remote. It's a bit more cumbersome on PC and mouse to back out, thus why I end up clicking Home a lot. TBH, it really wasn't a big deal until a couple days ago when my dog flew out of the window to go fence-charge the mailman and sent my mouse with a back button flying across the room and broke it. Big Grin I'll have to replace it as a standard mouse with this issue is getting annoying.
(2016-03-29, 02:06)nooryani84 Wrote: Edit: A simple solution may be to add the video-addons to Favorites. I believe you should be able to avoid this issue then.

That worked for video addons, thanx! Hopefully I can sort out the rest of the menu that way Smile

When adding directly from the skin, it produces ActivateWindow(Videos,Addons,return)

When adding from Favorites it produces ActivateWindow(10025,"library://video/addons.xml/",return)

Guess I won't be adding from the skin anymore as all of my menu items are top level items, any individual link from an addon I toss into Super Folders.
(2016-03-29, 05:24)nooryani84 Wrote: I just tested with adding a custom menu item to Confluence.

Code:
                    <item id="6969">
                        <label>VIDEO ADD-ONS</label>
                        <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;library://video/addons.xml/&quot;,return)</onclick>
                    </item>

1. Opened a the menu item.
2. Opened a video add-on I know has sub-folders (NRK Nett-TV) and selected a folder.
3. Pressed Escape
4. Re-opened the menu item and I'm back at the root of Video Add-ons

If I do same thing via Video>Add-ons>NRK Nett-TV, it will remember the last used folder.
I found that saving to Favorites, then linking to menu produces that same code and it works the way I'm wanting.

Thanx all! Issue solved Smile
Yep, I only found the code by adding it to favorites myself. I've only ever done small changes like this when it comes to skins. Next thing would be to add this to the Skin's settings so that you can have a copy for later. Tho in my experience I'll take whatever works best, which is usually just using the Favorites like you did. Smile
Quote:cumbersome on PC and mouse to back out
Yup, I bought a spare mouse with a back button, and then I use the windowed mode a lot so the mouse has a programmable top button for that. MK700 series

You still get mail delivery? nice.
I'm still rocking my old G400s, which is one of the many variants of the original Logitech MX518. Just the right ergonomic shape and amount of buttons for most areas of use. It's ashame Logitech don't offer an alternative MX518-clone in their current selection.
Thanks@all for reminding me why i browse these forums..and i agree with you on all the mouse stuff :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stop menu links from caching?0