Video quality?
I'm comparing MythTV frontend on a ordinary PC/Ubuntu and Kodi on a Pi3 running OpenElec, watching live football. And even if is not like night and day it is a pretty big difference. I just can't get the playback smooth on the Pi3. The most obvious is when watching when they shoot the ball across the whole field. You really see a jumpy/jerky motion of the ball, as with the MythTV frontend the ball is smooth all the way.

I've been playing around with changing refresh rate and sync playback to display, and also the different deinterlacing options. But can't get it to be better, only worse.

Maybe I need to install Kodi and see if it is Kodi or the Pi3 that is the problem?

Does anyone have any experience and maybe a solution on how to get the best quality and smooth playback?
What codec is the video in? Most like TV is usually MPEG2, and the RPi requires the purchase of a license to decode MPEG2 in hardware.
(2016-04-07, 23:22)rpcameron Wrote: What codec is the video in? Most like TV is usually MPEG2, and the RPi requires the purchase of a license to decode MPEG2 in hardware.

Yes, you are right, it is MPEG2, but I have bought and installed the keys for the codec. Sorry, should have mentioned that. But besides being able to deinterlace I don't see much difference in the smoothness of the playback before and after codec key. But I don't really know what to expect from the Pi3. But what I've read about the Pi2 I thought the Pi3 would be better than this with ordinary MPEG2 video. So I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong?

And I live in Sweden and have 50Hz on screen and 25fps in the LiveTV/recordings according to MediaInfo. So it should be good?
Do you have any acceleration enabled? MMAL? OMX?

Have you verified that the codec license key is properly installed and recognized?

Which version of OpenELEC and Kodi? Which version of pvr.mythtv? Is MPEG demuxing enabled in the addon settings?
You could try investigating the following:

1) Use a wired connection if you're using wireless.
2) OMX / MMAL acceleration settings (System->Settings->Video->Acceleration)
3) Playback of the file direct from the backend using UPnP (bypasses the pvr.mythtv client) Video->Files->Add Videos...->Browse->UPnP devices->(Your server), save the directory, then browse there from Videos and play back the same file.
4) Play with the 'Enable demuxing MPEG-TS' (pvr.mythtv's demuxer) setting (System->Settings>Addons->MyAddons->PVR Clients->Mythtv->Configure->Advanced)
5) The latest millhouse test builds (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250817)

That should give you a good idea what's causing your issue and therefore where to try looking (or providing detailed bug reports ;-) next for an improvement.

My experience (mostly on PIB/B+) is that OMX gives the best picture, MMAL is less likely to fall over with strange files (i.e. recorded from TV content which changes bitrate/screen format/audio etc...), but can be a bit more 'grainy' at least on a PI1.

I run without de-interlacing enabled by default and use OMX acceleration with the pvr.mythtv demuxer on a wired connection. Seems the most fluid, with the best picture quality while being at least 'unlikely' to freeze up.

If you're running on a PI3 you might even try turning off acceleration completely to see what the software decoder can manage. P1 isn't up to it but you never know....
Now I have a few things to try. Unfortunately my backend has autodeleted the football match I was using since it was LiveTV, easiest to see the problem there. I will wait for another match and record it and then try your suggestions.
It should still be there - look in 'deleted' recording group.

Sent from my U65GT
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video quality?0