Minix U1 or Wetek core or..
Hi guys!

I wanted to know you opinion. I'm looking to buy android tv box and I narrow it down to Minix U1 and Wetek Core. Kodi is my number one priority but having kids I'm looking to some lightweight gaming too. Also, I have a 4K TV, sound is 5.1 passthrough with optical to dts receiver.

So, from what I have red so far, today, Wetek Core is the best option, because Kodi is still not taking full advantage of Amlogic S905, but I near future (with Kodi 17) will U1 be better, I'm counting on Minix updates of course...?

Do I wait for S905X with VP9-10 Profile-2 so I could have youtube in 4K @ 60fps?

Do I wait for S912 to have all that + better GPU for better gaming?

Thanx for reply
Please have a read of this article, especially the 3D performance of the two, for gaming.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/29/a...omparison/

No idea when other AML S9xx platforms are being released.

Also be aware the S905 WeTek Hub is likely out, probably within a month, somewhere around the USD $75-90 mark.

The nVIDIA Shield of course is the King if your talking gaming on an ARM platform, you pay for what you get.

So, you would go with Core then?

For me WeTek Hub has one huge con - has no S-PDIF, and I use optical for audio. Plus 1 GB RAM is enough for video playback, but for gaming, or some multitasking...?
Hub also has ir remote while core has rf air remote.
Although I have no interest in gaming, my thoughts otherwise are very similar to yours, Peh. For the past year or so, my Minix X8-H Plus has stood me in good stead for my extensive use of Kodi ... but recently I've been hankering for an upgrade (e.g., to take full advantage of my new 4K TV). The specs of the Wetek Core don't impress me – similar to my current box, although the Wetek lacks AC Wi-Fi. I have been considering the Minix U1 – definitely a step forward. But is it a significant enough step to justify spending $130 (when I already have a good box). [I also thought about the Nvidia Shield, but I'd rather not spend the additional 70 bucks for gaming capability I wouldn't use.]

Like you, I'm considering waiting for a box (preferably Minix) based on the Amlogic S912. Now that seems to be state of the art! Octa-core, Mali-T820 GPU, HDR, etc. But how long a wait would it be?
Just get the Wetek Core.
I've own Amlogic box/general Android boxes/sticks in the past and don't expect long term updates/bug fixes from whatever Chinese brands.
What you want is to look for a device with big great community support behind a reputable/trustable company because the good devs gets interested if a device has potential but also if they get proper sources and collaboration from factory to work on in order to improve it, otherwise believe me is a dead end and your box will be outdated with many bugs to finally become obsolete in less than a year.

Wetek has well talented devs behind and their latest weetek core product has decent specs and feature reach, enough to watch videos, stream the proper way with smooth clear image. That and consistent bug fixes will only improve general user experience.
For your needs you'll have fun with it for a long time.

Enviado desde mi Moto X mediante Tapatalk
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-04-10, 20:24)Don Grimme Wrote: Although I have no interest in gaming, my thoughts otherwise are very similar to yours, Peh. For the past year or so, my Minix X8-H Plus has stood me in good stead for my extensive use of Kodi ... but recently I've been hankering for an upgrade (e.g., to take full advantage of my new 4K TV). The specs of the Wetek Core don't impress me – similar to my current box, although the Wetek lacks AC Wi-Fi. I have been considering the Minix U1 – definitely a step forward. But is it a significant enough step to justify spending $130 (when I already have a good box). [I also thought about the Nvidia Shield, but I'd rather not spend the additional 70 bucks for gaming capability I wouldn't use.]

Like you, I'm considering waiting for a box (preferably Minix) based on the Amlogic S912. Now that seems to be state of the art! Octa-core, Mali-T820 GPU, HDR, etc. But how long a wait would it be?

Don't buy a box purely based on specs - they only tell a small part of the story. Decent software and firmware support is key. No point in having an 8-core CPU if it never delivers decent video and audio playback...
If he already has x8-h plus buying wetek core doesn't make sense as they are technically same players, no difference. Either U1 or something like Himedia q10pro...
(2016-04-10, 22:38)9800pro Wrote: If he already has x8-h plus buying wetek core doesn't make sense as they are technically same players, no difference. Either U1 or something like Himedia q10pro...
WeTek Core and Minix X8-H Plus may have the same SoC, but they are different on many levels. Core has Lollipop, X8-H Plus is on KitKat, Core has HD audio passthrough and multichannel PCM output, X8-H plus has flaky HD audio passthrough only with VxxOx and only stereo PCM output. Core has Netflix HD, X8-H Plus is just SD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix U1 or Wetek core or..0