• 6(current)
[REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?
Quote:cubicgarden: I'd love an excuse to have a meeting with the Beeb tech guys. No idea what I could tell them that they don't already know though. IMO the best thing that the Beeb could do right now is to create an open source RTMP library and submit it back the mplayer project so an open source iplayer could be created. I bet they've heard this multiple times from plenty of different groups though.

You will be surprised how little we sometimes hear. This is another reason why Backstage was setup. To go out and listen and participate in discussions which are going on outside the BBC about the BBC. I have the pleasure of then feeding back directly to the correct group or person. So in this case the head of the iplayer team Anthony Rose (who was also interviewed by backstage recently about iplayer - http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/news/archives...tervi.html)

About the library, maybe we could do something here. I'll speak to some people and see what could be done. Who knows maybe someone in our R&D team might have already done some work on mplayer before, and would be happy to work on this.

Quote:...or simpler and more likely just switch over to using FLV over HTTP (instead of RTMP), or even better standard MPEG-4 ASP (H.263) or MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) over HTTP, ...or even DivX (DivX, Inc.) if they want a commercial solution, as they are still so much more open source friendly than Adobe.

I don't think we'll be changing the flash streaming anytime soon, because it works so well for alot of people. If I go back and ask them to change the infrastructure, we will get no where.
OK, I think basically that the only missing bit of the puzzle is RTMP support and we don't have anyone *firmly* saying they will implement it.

If the BBC released an open source implementation of an RTMP client that would be absolutely awesome, but I doubt that's going to happen.

The RTMP support is going to have to come from the XBMC team, more specifically elupus Tongue We just need to know from him how tricky that is, how long it would take, etc. If we don't have RTMP support then we're never going to have this plugin.
Strawp Wrote:OK, I think basically that the only missing bit of the puzzle is RTMP support and we don't have anyone *firmly* saying they will implement it.

If the BBC released an open source implementation of an RTMP client that would be absolutely awesome, but I doubt that's going to happen.

The RTMP support is going to have to come from the XBMC team, more specifically elupus Tongue We just need to know from him how tricky that is, how long it would take, etc. If we don't have RTMP support then we're never going to have this plugin.

Wouldn't it be easier to ask the BBC if they'll create a version over HTTP?
It doesn't seem too outlandish an option. If you're subscribed to their backstage mailing list there are loads of ideas flying around.
paperclipmonkey Wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to ask the BBC if they'll create a version over HTTP?
It doesn't seem too outlandish an option. If you're subscribed to their backstage mailing list there are loads of ideas flying around.

Yeah I am subscribed. From what I gather though (from cubicgarden here) it's the people upstairs that aren't likely to agree to HTTP rather than it being a technical problem.
Strawp Wrote:Yeah I am subscribed. From what I gather though (from cubicgarden here) it's the people upstairs that aren't likely to agree to HTTP rather than it being a technical problem.

I mentioned it anyway. Isn't that just madness, they're ok with helping us to hack out a way to use one protocol. But won't implement another one? If they both get us to the same goal what's the difference...

I think the meeting could be a really good idea.
I don't know if I could go though, if I used it as part of my work experience It's possible in February for me.
What about other people?
Lightbulb 
Strawp Wrote:The RTMP support is going to have to come from the XBMC team
Well, RTMP client/parser code could just as 'simply' be coded by anyone not on Team-XBMC and submitted as a patch to the XBMC project, ...or it could just as well be coded by anyone and submitted to the MPlayer and/or FFmpeg projects, (then someone could in turn probably relativly easily port that code to from MPlayer or FFmpeg to XBMC).

....a other, third-party, project (and their developers) which might be interested in getting RTMP client/parser code is libnemesi

Rolleyes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Well, RTMP client/parser code could just as 'simply' be coded by anyone not on Team-XBMC and submitted as a patch to the XBMC project, ...or it could just as well be coded by anyone and submitted to the MPlayer and/or FFmpeg projects, (then someone could in turn probably relativly easily port that code to from MPlayer or FFmpeg to XBMC).

....a other, third-party, project (and their developers) which might be interested in getting RTMP client/parser code is libnemesi
I've been looking at Libnemesi and they also have an Mplayer with rtmp support in it! It's an oldish fork compared to their up to date libnemesi but better than nothing!
I tried following the build tutorial for Mplayer.dll and couldn't get anywhere, and looked at the diff of the two projects and they seem to have quite a lot of differences (maybe they have the newer version of Mplayer)
Would it be possible to get someone that knows how to compile mplayer and what code we have that's specific to XBMC to have a look?
*feels stupid*
They have rtsp support, from what I remember that's what mediaportal use to stream TV. Which could actually be a more requested feature.
paperclipmonkey Wrote:I mentioned it anyway. Isn't that just madness, they're ok with helping us to hack out a way to use one protocol. But won't implement another one? If they both get us to the same goal what's the difference...

I think the meeting could be a really good idea.
I don't know if I could go though, if I used it as part of my work experience It's possible in February for me.
What about other people?

You are right - it's a proprietary protocol as well, which contradicts their tenet of not favouring a particular company. What is wrong with just using HTTP exactly?

I could make the meeting, although I'd have to take a day off work. It's the peak-time rail travel costs that's putting me off though.
People that are on the backstage mailing list: Have my replies in there turned up or are people just ignoring them?
OK, why are my replies appearing above the first post in this thread?
It is weird where your replies are turning up.
What's you email name or email address so i can see if it's getting through.
What about mine?
Mike Waterworth
OK, it's not just me then Tongue

I'm Iain Wallace. I think I've had this problem before with other mailing lists. I've registered from a Gmail account and I've sent mail to it using an alias email address. I don't see my messages appear on the list because of the way the gmail inbox is set up. I also attempted to registed on my alias address but that doesn't seem to take.

I will attempt to re-post using the real gmail address...
I wasn't seeing your name appear in that thread, Mike.

God, I hate mailing lists. There's a reason no one is writing new mailing list software.
I dont know if your php script takes this into account (I only got it to tell me that the program ID was invalid) but the value here of the pid:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pbz1.shtml

Is not the same as the one you put into the iplayer url:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/3/str...d=b008pbyn

I just thought I would raise this. The pid can be found in the actual source of

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pbz1.shtml

Look for :
version_pid=b008pbyn~

But there are other occurances of it in the .shtml file.

I found this using adblock on firefox. If you click on the items on the page it lists:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/3/str...d=b008pbyn

(you have to add bbc.co.uk as a whitelist through @@bbc.co.uk not just by "disabling on bbc.co.uk")
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?7