basic hw set up for testing?
what video/audio and or hardware set up do you have currently, im looking into building something now that things are rolling and would love to test and provide feedback.
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
I used the fastest machine I got currently (and it ain't very fast, hehe)

A Dell D620 laptop, has 14" 1440x something display, Intel chipset with Intel GMA950 Gfx + Intel "HD Audio", Intel CoreDuo 1.66GHz, 2Gig Ram all running on Ubunty 7.04

Intel has no HW acceleration in XBMC yet, but maybe when MESA gets updated to 7
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for volunteering. I just started messing with code a day or two ago, so I might not be qualified to answer this, but...

Your video/audio hardware is probably not that important, as long as you get 3D and audio in Linux. Just buy whatever suits your needs outside of XBMC. Also, as I understand, it will also be a good deal of time before we have an alpha version.

That said, once we have a version for testing, hammering away at all the features, including network shares (of many different types), various file formats, views, thumbnails, etc. would be more than helpful. "Special cases" that only apply to Linux are more likely to be points of failure, such as insertion/removal of a thumb drive, long file names (beyond 41 characters), read-only drives such as NTFS-mounted drives, etc.
thanks i have access to piles of hardware and a really good av set up at home ill just stick with prob decent nvida and sound blaster cards while i keep my trusty old xbox.

Ubunty (Ubuntu) ? the unix flavor of choice? prob the easiest to set up since it has a nice install/setup.
-------------
(k/x)Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) is the environment most of us use, and is the recommended development environment.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Well I'm running it on an old p4 2.4 with 1 gig of ram and a gforce 7600gt graphics card
Now this plays very well under all tests but I do find that because of the older cpu I can't really do h.264 720p and up encoded videos on it
yeah i'd like to know too. Intel chipsets that are rock solid for core 2 duo (great overclocking/underclocking) that aren't too new to use built in HD audio? or stick to external sound card like a soundblaster (what model) since i plan to run PCM/Digital out full time?

I was thinking it might be cool to be able to run TWO xbmc on one pc so another room (nearby) could share the pc.

Would be sweet if the whole shebang would run off these 4gb cheap USB thumb drives, then use NAS to playback x.264 data.

My poor xbox1 has a bad sector on the boot video so it stutters Sad so i'm hoping this project scoots along before my xbox1 dies
Given that the XBOX only has 64 megs of ram, will 256 megs be sufficient for the Linux version?
Running on a shuttle SB61G2 P4 3.0 GHZ.
Radeon 9600
sblive 5.1 (the internal soundchip (realtek) has issues with xbmc)

By the way sound and pictures are stable from ntfs, video seems pretty good too
Runing a macbook core duo gma950.
Uppgraded ubuntu to gutsy with mesa 7.
sorry no pixelshaders for video rendring.
updated CFLAGS with -march=prescott sorry those gentoo habits die slowly =)
Now I really feel old, my idea of an old CPU is a Pentium Pro 200. Smile
I'm not a programmer by any means so this may sound like a silly question, but some of the micro and nano boards I've been looking at say they have hardware decoding for MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, does the hardware just kick in when it sees code running through memory for those codecs, or does the programmer have to write code to access it, and are all hardware decoders different, in such that to be able to use them on all types of boards, every implementation would have to be coded?
None of them "just kick in automatically".

They all require code to set them up and request that stuff gets decoded.

Whether or not anything has support for them is the question. Often these things tend to come with no open source drivers, so we generally can't take advantage of them.

Cheers,
Jonathan

check out this puppy, just saw it posted on engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/19/shutt...d-display/

could make for a mean xbmc running linux with all the proper video and audio out stuff, not to mention a remote control..
-------------
gateway69: too expensive, sins it is only barbone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
basic hw set up for testing?0