HDTV users: Help needed to optimize
the output quality for pal and ntsc sdtv users has been optimized and is pretty good at present - the choose best resolution code is working really well.

i need hdtv users to test what happens in their case. i do not have an hdtv, so i can't test this myself - i'm relying on you the users to help me out.

please test the latest cvs source code.

i need to know the following:

1. how's the quality of the video?
2. what is the size of the video (in pixels) that you are viewing?
3. what resolution is your tv in?
4. what resolution is xbmc using to play the video?
5. do you have "choose best resolution" enabled?

note that you can press the start key on the controller to switch between normal, zoom and stretch modes. it will also display the source resolution and output resolution information. i need to know this for normal mode only.

please try a range of videos - particularly some that are fairly large - i have a small (3mb) clip at 848x480 resolution if you need one.

for your information:

the screen resolution should be at worst 480p - check this.
it will only use a higher resolution if the size of the video is bigger than 720x480 if choose best resolution is on. if choose best resolution is off, it should use the screenmode that the gui is in. please comment as to which gives you better quality images.

please pm me if you can help.

thanks,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

1.  how's the quality of the video?
not usable (only the top half of the image is displayed)

2.  what is the size of the video (in pixels) that you are viewing?
624 x 352 (16x8 xvid), 320x240 (4x3 xvid), 480x480 (tivo extraction), 560x336 (xvid movie)

3.  what resolution is your tv in?
1080i

4.  what resolution is xbmc using to play the video?
1080i (toshiba 65h80 widescreen hdtv)

5.  do you have "choose best resolution" enabled?
no

enabling choose best resolution switches to 480 mode for playing these files.  this is not what i am after - i would like to upscale to 1080i.

what happens is the top half of the image is displayed, taking up a varying amount of the screen side to side, and filling the screen top to bottom.  setting calibration does not help.  changing to stretch or zoom changes the exact amount displayed but doesn't really increase it.  nothing seems to allow me to see the entire image.

this is a shame because otherwise the image quality is very good.  it looks like it should be capable of doing a complete upscale to 1080i, which would be awesome.

i'm happy to do more testing, and may even start digging into the code since this is something i really want (as well as dvd upscaling).  i'd be interested in trying the larger size videos too.

great work on xbmc and xbmp.  this is an awesome project!
i've updated the code quite a bit, so if i could have some people test the hdtv modes in particular, that'd be great.

in particular, please test when choose best resolution is off and your resolution is a hdtv mode - it should hopefully not crash anymore (fingers crossed!Wink

thanks,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hdtv support has been improved much in the recent version. thank you guy for implementing this.

here is the screen shot taken with digital camera. my tv is 4:3 philips pixel plus support only 1080i.

my pictures screen [text and thumbnails are too small on this resolution]

playback divx movie (spirited away, 23.976fps ~640 x something)

display still picture in hdtv mode [work great]

performance for playing back mpeg4 movie with dvd resolution (bitrate~800kbps-1mpbs) is quite acceptable but not great. i think some optimization to the scaling code (or postprocessing) can fixed this.

i don't concern much about this because i can turn on auto res. features and avoid playing sub-d1 resolution video on hdtv mode. i don't think xbox hardware can handle hdtv resoultion video anyway.

furthur improvement for hdtv support should focus mostly on gui. xbmc need to use larger text in hdtv mode. Smile

here is my feature request:
since 1080i standard for 16:9 only, so i must turn on vertical squeeze on my 4:3 hdtv to adjust to the right aspect ratio. it would be very nice if you can add 4:3 1080i mode to xbmc. i know this aspect ratio is not in the hdtv standard but implementing it would help a lot of people with 4:3 display.
so does the current build of xbmc only output in 480p or can i up the res?

if so where?

i have an infocus x1 projector and can only seem to get xbmc to start up in the 480p res, it can handle up to 1080 i believe.
nevermind i just got the latest csv build and it's in there  :d

looks brilliant!!!!!

nice work peoples

if you want any more testing done please let me know.
picture viewing in 1080i mode seems to be broken (pictures cut off) in the dec 3 cvs.  can anyone else confirmed this?

edit:  just noticed this post
i just got an hdtv, so i can now contribute to this! ^_^

1.  how's the quality of the video?

very good, especially up-res'ed to 1080i. looks absolutely amazing. lower resolution files do look a little rough, but that's to be expected.

2.  what is the size of the video (in pixels) that you are viewing?

varies greatly, from 320x240 to 720x480

3.  what resolution is your tv in?

i run xbmc at 1080i, but only xbmc and other xbox apps use that mode. regretably, most things are in 480i, so that's what i'm in most of the time.

4.  what resolution is xbmc using to play the video?

always 1080i, res'ed up to full screen.

5.  do you have "choose best resolution" enabled?

no, since this would force 480i (or p) for almost everything, and that defeats the whole purpose of having an hdtv, doesn't it?

one hd bug i did notice is that in 1080i mode, still pictures display horizontally squished. since i would seldom use xbmc for stills, not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

thanks for a great piece of software!

-justin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDTV users: Help needed to optimize0