Music Library: Playlist folder, user defined
kraqh3d,

i have two requests...

1) user defined playlist folder location.

2) user defined playlist 'start' folder substitution.
- this will allow someone to have a dual purpose m3u playlist for both xbox and pc.

so say your playlist is in \music\playlists and your m3u has this...
#extinf:0,tori amos - spark.mp3
music\tori amos\tori amos - spark.mp3

if xbmc plays the list it will not work since it will be starting in \music\playlists as the root. but if you tell xbmc to replace 'music' with '\music' then the song will play correctly.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
1) you can define the playlist directory in the xml (i believe the library follows that)

2) xbmc should save playlists with the full path to the file, not a reletive path. perhaps the program your creating your playlists with is using reletive paths?
xbmc should play the files back exactly how they are referenced in the playlist.
the cause of your playback problem is your copying a playlist with reletive paths to another directory. of course it wont work.
if you scan the playlist into xbmc it will create a new playlist in the defined playlist directory with the appropriate path.
(loto_bak @ dec. 22 2005,20:16 Wrote:1) you can define the playlist directory in the xml (i believe the library follows that)

2) xbmc should save playlists with the full path to the file, not a reletive path. perhaps the program your creating your playlists with is using reletive paths?
xbmc should play the files back exactly how they are referenced in the playlist.
the cause of your playback problem is your copying a playlist with reletive paths to another directory. of course it wont work.
if you scan the playlist into xbmc it will create a new playlist in the defined playlist directory with the appropriate path.
1) what xml?

2) i used relative paths since i have my m3u files in the root of my 'music' share. this allowed both xbmc & my pc to use the same lists without modification.
post an rfe. on sourceforge. maybe you'll get lucky and someone will implement it.

1) a user defined playlists location is in xboxmediacenter.xml.

Quote: <!-- directory to put playlists in !-->
<playlists>$home\albums\playlists</playlists>

this is where xbmc stores its playlists. music playlists are in the subdir "music", and video playlists are in the subdir "video" of this location. playlists in library opens up the music subdir.

2) i've thought about something like this. i was thinking that when a scan is run, it could copy found playlists into the xbmc playlist folder and somehow fix the paths so that they are xbmc paths.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(kraqh3d @ dec. 23 2005,13:23 Wrote:2) i've thought about something like this. i was thinking that when a scan is run, it could copy found playlists into the xbmc playlist folder and somehow fix the paths so that they are xbmc paths.
it already does...

for example
Quote:#extinf:258,snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-deep cover
01 - snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-deep cover.mp3
#extinf:288,snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-fuckin wit dre day
02 - snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-fuckin wit dre day.mp3
becomes this after scanning
Quote:#extinf:0,snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-deep cover
smb://192.168.0.200/share/sata1/media/music/unsorted/!albums/!unsortable/snoop dogg - the best of/01 - snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-deep cover.mp3
#extinf:0,snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-fuckin wit dre day
smb://192.168.0.200/share/sata1/media/music/unsorted/!albums/!unsortable/snoop dogg - the best of/02 - snoop dogg - snoop dogg ft dr. dre-fuckin wit dre day.mp3

#2 should be addressed by affini either by
a) in file view using the playlists from his /music/ directory or,
b) by scanning them and using them from the library

only 2 quirk about scanning
it will automatically scan all subdirectories of /music/. if your music is properly tagged this should be non-issue though.

xbmc created playlists are not playable from your computer. but then again they never were in the first place

having the playlists the way i do... using relative pathing and having the playlist in the root of the music folder share it works perfectly on both xbmc & pc.

i like kragh3d's suggestion about mod'ing the pathing upon playlist load. i hope he puts in that feature. should be pretty easy for a coder of his caliber... simple text substitution with user defined variables.
your not understanding,

your trying to copy a playlist with reletive paths to a another place without modifying it. of course it wont work. (nor should it) how is xbmc to know the proper path?

what i am saying is that if you were to scan the playlists xbmc would handle the copy and modify the paths as neccicary

kraq is not recommending modifying the playlist on load. he was recommending modifying the playlist on scan, and placing the modified playlist in the user defined playlists directory.
as i have outlined in my previous post this feature is already present.

if you would just scan the playlists, xbmc will do what you desire.

*edit
perhaps you want xbmc to add playlists to the library on load insted of on scan?

loto_bcak, you are correct... scanning the playlists alters the path and copies them into the playlist folder (or it used to). but it only works correctly if the playlists used relative paths. if they didnt, the xbmc playlist would just be wrong. you wind up with stuff like this, which wont play in xbmc:

smb://mycomputer/musicshare/g:\music\u2\vertigo.mp3

to remedy this issue, a simple regexp style substitution engine could xbmc how to fix the pathes. ie, replace "g:\music\" with "smb://mycomputer/musicshare/" so that in the xbmc playlist has the correct xbmc understandable path:

smb://mycomputer/musicshare/u2/veritgo.mp3

but, no, i likely wont be implementing such a feature.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
wow, it doesnt work... good thing i checked. i think a bug introduced when the playlist locations were split. i'm fixing it now.

** edit **
i just commited a fix to the playlist caching function. here how it works...

when a playlist is encountered thru normal browsing, or music scanning, its read in to determine what type of playlist it is. the location is based on the first item, and only the first item, in the playlist. music types go in music. video types go in video. the playlist filename is then made fatx compliant, and if there's no playlist already with that same exact name, its cached.

(it always worked via just browsing to the location. that is not new.)

ok i lied... i was bored today so i put together a path substitution schema which will be used by the playlist loader. it'll be committed to cvs in a day or two. i need to do some more testing with it. but, here's what you can expect to find in xboxmediacenter.xml when its committed:

Quote: <!-- optional advanced configuration setting -- path substitution !-->
<!-- uncomment for path substitutions; currently only use by playlist loader. !-->
<!-- like the video stacking regexps, these are processed in order, so be sure to put the !-->
<!-- most specific substitutions at the top. !-->

<!-- <pathsubstitution> !-->
<!-- <substitute> !-->
<!-- <from>g:\dvds\</from> !-->
<!-- <to>smb://somecomputer/g-share/dvds/</to> !-->
<!-- </substitute> !-->
<!-- <substitute> !-->
<!-- <from>g:\</from> !-->
<!-- <to>smb://somecomputer/g-share</to> !-->
<!-- </substitute> !-->
<!-- </pathsubstitution> !-->

you can use this to fix any non-relative remote playlists you may have to conform to xbmc's path style. the premise is simple... when a remote playlist is loaded, the path of each item is tested against this list. if the path matches, the substitution is made. be careful of the direction of your slashes. they must match too.

(the playlist caching route will automatically use this if configured on any playlists you happen upon in your browsing.)
maybe not the apropriot topic, but i suggest it anyways..wouldn't it be a good idea to add an extra option in the context menu, now you only have "queue item.." but i would like "queue all"...also. much better for people with heaps of music albums/files. and make it a toggle button.

yes. it is off topic, but thanks for sharing. that's what the "all" items do in the music library. you can use them to queue everything on currently screen.

and i have no idea what you're talking about with making it a toggle button. *if* its added to the context menu, there would be an option which says "queue all", in addition to the existing "queue item" option.
so there is allready an option for this in the music library.. Huh. if you say so, i didn't quiet noticed it though... why not put it in "my music" context menu, and what i ment was, to put "queue all", and "queue item" in one button, so it doesn't take more space than it does now.

the context menu doesnt support that. it could call a secondary dialog asking for "all" but that would be annoying.
ok... path substitution was just committed to cvs. i tested it as much as i could. it's not arbitrary substitution. it's anchored to the left so as not to substitute in the middle of a path.

** edit **
thanks to pike for fixing my little xml problem!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library: Playlist folder, user defined0