FTP-Client code built-into XBMC for streaming
i am trying to figure out how to have the xbox media center access an ftp server that i have set up with the files i want the xbox to read.  does anyone know how to do this?
i would use a smb share instead ..
i know how to use a smb share but this will share to my entire network and i do not know how nor think it is possible to password it. i am just trying to figure out if it is possible to read files from an ftp server.
q: how do i give xbmc a local ip address & subnet mask to use a xstream server or ftp?
a: use dhcp or you can give xboxmediacenter a static ip via the xboxmediacenter.xml file.

i looked throught the faq and found this...is this something that might help me and if so can someone walk me through it?
no, xbmc cannot access or play files direcly from ftp. moving to the feature suggestions forums as it's currecly not possible.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
can i suggest installing a firewall on the machine and then block out all access to smb from all other than the xbox ip. this would solve the problem. alternative two is install an extra network card in the pc and firwall the one connected to the network, or disable smb on that network card.

but, username and passwords on the smb share is supported also. at least to my knowledge, smb://username:pass@smbserver or something?

lastly, can i suggest the following if all else fails to suit you're needs. name the share on the pc for instance "thisismysecretxboxshare$". adding the $ to the end of the share will not make it visable to others in you're network. this does not mean that its not possible to find out with more advanced network tools, but at least it hides it from the "point and click" people.

perhaps some of these could solve you're needs.
yes you can password smb shares. given this i don't think there's much milage in adding an ftp client to the xbox.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

hi,

for me the possibility playing from a ftp fileserver (like a linksys epg120 or similar) would be great. so i don't have to run a real linux/windows server in the background Wink

regs
coyote
sweet! linksys has a little baby nas. offers 120gb of storage over cifs/smb. it's probably running a modified linux kernel, like they use in their routers.

this *should* work fine with xbmc, although you'll have to use the dreaded smb protocol to access the shares. ftp isn't neccessary.

i wouldn't expect lightening fast performance though. who knows what cheapo risc processor linksys uses for their cpu?
hiya all

if i want to copy data from one xbox to another...xbmc has no way of connecting to another xbox on a network...i guess there is no ftp client program inside xbmc..only a ftp server...

if there was a client...this would be very handy Smile

plz some1 come up with a fantastic script plzplzplz Smile
sorry to divert slifghtly from your subject but if i use avalaunch(xbox1) to avalaunch(xbox2), which have autodetect of other avaftps' in lan btw, i get 10mb/sec+ transfer speeds. used that to copy my 120gb xboxhd to a new one.
xbmc's ftp server supports fxp mode - you have to enable it in the ftp server xml.
once you have that enabled you can use an fxp program such as flashfxp to transfer files directly from xbox to xbox.

hi,

thanks for the answer. unforthunately the device i was thinking about seems not to offer smb shares (it's specification wasn't out till now).

i mean a device like the ovislink mu9000 (see http://www.ovislink.com.tw/mu9000.htm). it's a standalone router allowing me to attach everything i need via usb connectors (in my case 2 hd + 2 printers).

it would be great if the xbmc could use simple ftp access for streaming mp3s, videos and pictures Image

regs
coyote
there's a patch for streaming from ftp on sourceforge, however it's unlikely to be integrated till after 1.0.

(butcher @ april 22 2004,17:45 Wrote:there's a patch for streaming from ftp on sourceforge, however it's unlikely to be integrated till after 1.0.
do you have a link to this patch?
i have been unable to find it on sourceforge.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FTP-Client code built-into XBMC for streaming0