• 3(current)
XBMC Skinning Contest
leonardo,

sorry about that, it was a mistake. i took down the download link and, i havnt submitted it anywhere.

you did use parts of my skin in yours, so i just figured you would feel the same way. i guess is a little different, because xme is open source. i like your skin, but wasnt thrilled with having two skins looking so similar.

Quote:and you do not have permission to use them in other skins.
i cant believe your saying this when you took the background from my skin. also both backgrounds were recreated from the ground up in photoshop because i didnt have your original work, none of them are your work.

i hope you change your feeling about this kind of things because you are working on an open source project, and that is the spirit of things, sharing, and working together.

again sorry to anger you.

-wabid

edit : im not trying to be mean or anything but i realized that xme is released under the gpl, so i did/do have the right to use your skin once you release it under the gpl. and under the gpl if u decide to keep the xme it in your skin you should make yours open source.

but untill i hear from you i wont distribute the skin to anyone cuz it is still your work.

also if you insist on keeping xme in your skin, choke and i have cleaned up the icons, and the rough edges are removed, it looks much better. get them from the .it/upload, it says for leonardo. (he posted those a while ago)

-wabid again
leonardo,

your settingsaudiooptions.xml, is soooooo messed up, should look into fixing it asap.

i have already made the needed changes and can give you a copy if u like.

wabid
wabid.

i ask for excuses for the previous post, but you have reason in which the project of the xbmc and her skins must be open source.

i propose that from now we are employed together at the skin blackblue to turn it into one of the best of the xbmc.

if you send me a address of e-mail or ftp i will send you the psd files and i will explain you the rules of design of the skin.

if you have a web, we can publish together the different versions of the skin, with his correspondents screenshots, and the updates of the same one corresponding to the internal versions of the xbmc.

pd: my settingsaudiooptions.xml works correctly. i finish it testear with xbmc 2004-04-24 internal. if you give me your e-mail address i send you the file.
ok awesome i dont know where u live but lets try and talk in irc, in #xbmc, makes skinning alot faster.
@leonardo if you are not used to irc use this applet (http://xbmc.nouse.de/irc/nuendo.html). just hit "connect" and you will autoconnect to #xbmc. now you can chnage your nik in the lower right corner. Smile

nice to see you and wabibi are merging your forces. Image

read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
hi
i decided to enter the contest and design a new skin, but unlike ususal skins, i decided to not follow the usual "technology" look-a-like and to do an artistic work (inspired by people like matisse or picasso). it's a totally original work and i haven't ripped anything from them and created drawings from scratch.
i was scared atfirst to create the skin as there's so many xml files, but in fact it's clear enough to handle them, so congratualtion to the team for their nice work!
my only problem for now is fonts, as to create new ones would take too much time, and i don't know much about how handling them and if they are copyrighted. anyway i will manage this problem when the drawings are finished Smile
so as the deadline is getting closer i will not have enough time to finish my skin fully. so are we allowed to use part of the media center skin? like fonts, osd buttons and folder icons?
(alx5962 @ may 10 2004,14:50 Wrote:are we allowed to use part of the media center skin? like fonts, osd buttons and folder icons?
no, not for this contest as each skin should be original. however as it looks now we might consider postponing the last submission date(?)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
hmm i think it's a bit too restrictive so...
like to use media center fonts is of course not an original work, but should be allowed.

maybe a rule could fix the percent of original work needed, like 80% and so it will help us to finish our skin and comply with the rules.
to not be able to use other skins' fonts would be a bit hard i think. if fonts are included in original work that would mean skinners would have to make their own font from scratch. and i don't think thats whats meant by fully original?

other then that i think changeing the rules by the end of the competition wouldn't be fair. mind you that i'm not finished with my submission so i'm by no means biosed here as i would benefit from that. and i wouldn't wanna compete with a half done job.  Image
(alx5962 @ may 10 2004,19:00 Wrote:to use media center fonts is of course not an original work, but should be allowed.
agree that fonts can be borrowed from other projects for a skin, but not graphics (note that is for this contest and not skinning in general)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
grab this tool off my site to create your own fonts Wink

-open the fontbundle.exe
-click the fontmaker button
-load your font and fontsize
-choose charackters from file
-find the all_char.txt that comes with the archive (took me ages to track all chars down Smile )
-check if u can see all chars in the blue rectangle
-if not, your font is missing them
-most fonts are missing 3 or 4 chars - dont worry about this
-save the two fontfiles (*.abc *.tga)
-go back to funtbundle.exe
-load the created *.abc and *.tga
-hit the build button...

tadaa  Image

you should try to keep the blue rectangle 256x256 px
should be fine with normal fonts

if you wanna make a real big font (like i did for the big clock) make a *.txt with just the numbers or just the letters you need and use this instead of the all_char.txt

the smaller the *.tga (blue area) is, the less memory is the font using

u need any help on this - my email adress and msn messenger account info is on my site.

i hope to see many entries in the skin contest

ill bet there are bad ass skinners out there

bring it on!!

cheers chokey

hi
thank you for the infos but your tool url doesn't work...
Sad 
what do you all think about postponing the last submission date of the contest by a month?, (reason: not many skins submitted yet)
(gamester17 @ may 11 2004,17:50 Wrote:what do you all think about postponing the last submission date of the contest by a month?, (reason: not many skins submitted yet)
i think we should postpone it till "one week after 1.0 code release" (whenever this will be).
this way we will have some working skins for the point release and skinners will have enough time (one week) to adjust it to the latest code.

read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Skinning Contest0