• 4(current)
XBMC Skinning Contest
(hullebulle @ may 11 2004,17:33 Wrote:i think we should postpone it till "one week after 1.0 code release" (whenever this will be).
this way we will have some working skins for the point release and skinners will have enough time (one week) to adjust it to the latest code.
i already spent more than 20 hours on my skin for the contest and i still need 5-10 to finish it for sure...!
so i'm sure when xbmc 1.0 will be release if there's some major changes it will take some hours to fix the skin.
so to postpone 1 week after 1.0 release is a good idea!

gamester17, how many skins have been submitted for now?
i'm sure the rules are a bit too restrictive and as it's a very long job to create a totally new skin i'm not sure many people have entered the contest...
i'd like that, this will give me some more time to work on my second skin. i got the latest build (may 9th, 2004) yesterday and was relieved to find out that my skin still worked.

i had to scrape my first one cause i got sick of working on it and it was getting very ugly on the xml level. if there is an extention, i will clean it up and submit it as well.

and i'd also like to know how many people have already submited their work.
only skin received so far into www.xboxmediacenter.com/upload is "xbox media experince" by wabidwoveren, so it's the only official entry?
(i guess up-to-date blackblue, project mayhem, retro, hifi skin, flatstyle and lixxbox will be submitted later too by their respective artists?)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
gamester17 do we have to pack our pictures into a texture.xpr for the contest or are we allowed to let them in png?
(alx5962 @ may 12 2004,13:56 Wrote:gamester17 do we have to pack our pictures into a texture.xpr for the contest or are we allowed to let them in png?
both are allowed but i would suggest to submit both (png for others to edit as required by contest rule, and texture.xpr for end-users use)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
the link for the tool works now.

i agree with postponing the deadline.

and i really think the rules are too tight - why not let the skinners just do what they want? the only design rule should be not to use gfx from existing skins. i mean who cares about copyrights? why may i not make a coca cola skin if i want - or a kill bill skin. its just a skin!

i think if skinners had more freedom, we had more entries by now. originality of the design and xml quality (alignment, functionality) should be rules

well thats my opinion  Image

wouldnt a mod like simple blu, still be eligible, because any skin (or skin based off xme) be open source. an open source skin, should be legally entitled to enter.
i just uploaded two skins:

visor

zippo

it was fun playing around with xbmc and these skins are the results.

i didn't really cared about the contest rules, so remove them if you want.
(bobrooney_78 @ may 12 2004,22:47 Wrote:i just uploaded two skins:

visor

zippo

it was fun playing around with xbmc and these skins are the results.

sweeet Smile and congrats to the way you see the contest.

to all others:you have to understand that we can't promote skins breaking a copyright, cause we try to stay as legal as possible. but if you are a real skinner you do the skin for own and the ppl who use it and not for a modchip anyway. Smile

read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
way to go bobrooney_78

not bad for a first go
i see you understand the skin system very well.

but hey, im sure you can do better than that

the visor title screen is pretty cool, you should change the rest of the skin aswell, and not just change the gfx

cmon Wink

cheers, chokey

Information 
fyi, all people who already submitted a skin (no matter if it's for this contest or not) are welcome to join the xbmc skinning project on sf
Exclamation 
(bobrooney_78 @ may 12 2004,21:47 Wrote:i just uploaded two skins: visor zippo
we will accepted the visor skin as valid entry for this contest (as per "pics can be taken from other open source projects") Image

however we cannot accept the zippo skin unless you get expliced right to use pics from the zippo corp., why not ask them?
i'm sure if you or anyone who want to use copywrited pictures for a xbmc skin just write to the owner they will allow it(?) Image
bobrooney_78, nice job
how about a few more screens?

i was going to do two, but it looks like i wont have time to finish my second one in time

here's what i got so far in case someone wants to see
http://www.earthbound-misfit.com/mig....#
can someone think of a name for this skin?
(gamester17 @ may 13 2004,13:29 Wrote:however we cannot accept the zippo skin unless you get expliced right to use pics from the zippo corp., why not ask them?
done. i hope they will understand my pretty bad english.

@chokey
if i weren't sooo lazy....
the hard and very good work should be done by you and the other great skinners like wabid, leonardo, onkel bouncy...

@webMASTER_P
the screens look very good

btw: the work of our former-python-guru alex5962 sounds very promising.
(bobrooney_78 @ may 13 2004,17:58 Wrote:btw: the work of our former-python-guru alex5962 sounds very promising.
:d
i'm still working on python you know Image

i'm not sure everyone will like my skin as to like art and the "fauve" trend artists is so far from computer stuffs...
so i guess only few people will understand and like my work (i studied at school art some years ago) but i admit i really hope to receive some nice feedback too Wink
as many people post some screenshots of their work here is an old snapshot of my skin (some big changes since this was taken):

early beta of the main page

i have to draw files icons and then my skin will be finished, but as i made some changes in xml files i need to check my skin using other languages if everything fits the screen.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Skinning Contest0