• 1(current)
XBMC Skinning Contest
xbmc skinning contest

team-ozxodus and xbox-gear.com has kindly donated 10 xenium modchips each to the xboxmediacenter project for us to run this skinning contest. the contest purpose is to get a more diverse amount of skins for xbmc and hopefully in turn this will also encourage more graphic artists to keep making unique skins for xbox media center. the competition kicks off right away and will end one month from now. skinners who already created skins for xbmc are of course also welcomed to enter the contest with their existing skins. all valid entries not infringing any copyrights, winners or not will be hosted for download by the xboxmediacenter project, however the top-20 entries (decided by the xboxmediacenter team) will each win one state-of-the-art xenium 4th generation xbox modchip courtesy of team-ozxodus and xbox-gear.com!

update! (15/05-2004): we have decided to postpone the last submission date of our xbmc skinning contest by one month, this mostly due to the few number of skins submitted so far. postponing the contest means new skinners will get a chance to catch up to join the competition and all existing skinners get to perfect the final touches of their entries, or perhaps even create another skin for xboxmediacenter? again, the prizes on stake is 20 xenium modchips provided by team-ozxodus and xbox-gear.com. the final submission date is now 20th of june 2004, so go ahead and get skinning!

we here at xbmc would appreciate it if non-skinners could make a small donation to help pay for the winners modchip shipping cost

if you can't wait to hear the results of the contest and want to buy an xenium right now, our co-contest sponsor www.xbox-gear.com would like to inform all non-winners and entrants they as an official xenium reseller offer competitive prices and worldwide shipping of their products.

xbmc skinning contest rules and conditions:
- all the requirements for the competition must be met
- skins must be submitted under the lgpl/gpl license
- no illegally acquired or copyrighted pics can be used
- pics can be taken from other open source projects
- can't mod existing skin unless you made the original
- one person or team may submit more than one entry,
  (as long as look of submitted skins significantly differ)
- no existing xbmp or xbmc team members may join
- complete skin must be submitted before contest end
- zip or rar the skin pack(s) and upload it here (link)
  (make sure you include contact information in pack)
- the last competition submission date is 20/06-2004
- skins will be judged on looks, quality and originality
- winner will be decided by the xboxmediacenter team
- the winners should be announced before 04/07-2004
- winners must provide full psd source to preserve skin
- each winning entry can and will only win one modchip
- if a team wins a prize they have to split it themselves
- all winners pay s&h if the donations do not cover it
- we reserve the right to cancel this contest if needed
- we reserve the right to change all this without notice

ps! we are aiming to have xbmc 1.0 final ready before contest-end, if it is ready then xbmc 1.0 compatibility will be a requirement too!

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Exclamation 
personally i like to see a skin based around the 2005 mustang gt (everything a skinner needs?), however don't think it win a prize Image
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
w00t xbmc 1.0 w!ll rox0rz y0ur box0rzzs !!!!111

Wink

no serious that is even better news than the contest itself. i read in the feature section that 1.0 will have a skin chooser like avalaunch. how is that comming along..? and how is the streaming support coming along since the latest "official" release?

anyway keep up the great work!!
san
fyi, all people who already submitted a skin (no matter if it's for this contest or not) are welcome to join the xbmc skinning project on sf
@all; fyi, you can upload it to www.allxboxskins.com, and/or join the xbmc skinning project (open source) if you want to share a skin publicly

@san; going off-topic (was hoping we could avoid that), anyway, quick answer to those two (if have more question please address elsewhere);
(san @ april 13 2004,15:24 Wrote:read in the feature section that 1.0 will have a skin chooser like avalaunch. how is that comming along?
it's not, noone on the team has had time. basicaly xbmc 1.0 will not have any more 'big' features/functions than current cvs.

(san @ april 13 2004,15:24 Wrote:how is the streaming support coming along since the latest "official" release?
as we never had an official release (1.0 being the first) can't answer. ps! we will still not release xbox-binaries for 1.0, see faq.

"- winners must provide full psd source to preserve skin"

does this mean we must use photoshop?
i want to make a skin for xbmc but i'm not exactly sure on how to do this. are there any templates to use or can i just use an existing skin and change the graphics and use the same xml files?
(bdonkey @ april 13 2004,22:03 Wrote:"- winners must provide full psd source to preserve skin"

nope. if you use another prog to create your pics its fine. just include the sources and the original file
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
can someone link to a nice alpha-channeled png or similar of the final xbmc logo?
Question 
(rickz0rz @ april 14 2004,04:33 Wrote:can someone link to a nice alpha-channeled png or similar of the final xbmc logo?
the logo has not quite yet been finalized, hopefully it will be done soon though (we will post a news post when it is)

(hullebulle @ april 14 2004,01:09 Wrote:
(bdonkey @ april 13 2004,22:03 Wrote:"- winners must provide full psd source to preserve skin"

nope. if you use another prog to create your pics its fine. just include the sources and the original file
also note that there is no need to provide the sources (if you don't want to) until the very end of the contest when winners been announced
oh forgot to mention, i believe the xbmc gui port to pc (link) will a most usefull 'tool' for skinners as you then don't need an xbox for testing Image
i take it that support for different resolutions don't have to be included for competition? i.e. pal/ntsc, 4:3/16:9, hdtv and so on. or is that included in possible "xbmc 1.0 compatibility"?

and a second thing: i just tried using the mediacenter skin from cvs(xbmc xbox) on xbmc pc. and as they aren't quite the same it don't really work. i did cut&paste the media and xml files to the proper locations to be compatible with xbmc pc. or else i'm doing something wrong.
(floink @ april 14 2004,12:50 Wrote:i take it that support for different resolutions don't have to be included for competition?
correct, not a requirement, just a preferability and a plus, (looks better and would make it appeal to a broader audience),
if two skins was just as nice but one had full pal/ntsc/4:3/16:9 compatibility, which one will be chosen as a winner Image

(gamester17 @ april 14 2004,11:22 Wrote:i believe the xbmc gui port to pc will a most usefull 'tool' for skinners as you then don't need an xbox for testing
on second thoughts maybe the windows port isn't good for skin testing/development as resolutions on a pc monitor differs from a tv
(gamester17 @ april 14 2004,14:31 Wrote:which one will be chosen as a winner Image]
i hear u Smile

(gamester17 @ april 14 2004,11:22 Wrote:on second thoughts maybe the windows port isn't good for skin testing/development as resolutions on a pc monitor differs from a tv
i'd say the resolution isn't the problem... that could easily be helped if background texture didn't got stretched and with several temp backgrounds with resolutions and overscan limits in it and all painted in it by the skinner. but this is totally offtopic so i'll leave it at that Smile
(gamester17 @ april 13 2004,12:39 Wrote:xbmc 1.0 compatibility will be a requirement too!
wouldn't have it been better to start the skinning contest after 1.0? in the view of many changes...
(bobrooney_78 @ april 15 2004,12:44 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ april 13 2004,12:39 Wrote:xbmc 1.0 compatibility will be a requirement too!
wouldn't have it been better to start the skinning contest after 1.0? in the view of many changes...
i thinks its better to start the skinning before 1.0 is ready. skinners will need time to create a layout and pics for the skin and to learn how it works anyway no matter what the final skin will look like.
and the upcomming changes till 1.0 won't be so big, that you have to start from scratch. Smile
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Skinning Contest0