Audio bookmarks (like video bookmarks but for music)?
Lightbulb 
Been having a think and it dawns on me there's a missing feature in XBMC and it should be simple to impliment given that most of the code for it must already be in the source code.

We can bookmark our position in video files to come back to them later.

However this feature is not available for audio files. I know why: Many people are listening only to music audiofiles via their xbox and the idea of picking up the song from the beat you were listening to is just silly Wink

But it is a function I feel I need because I listen to audiobooks, seminars and sometimes recordings of my lectures on my xbox.

Does anyone have similar problems? Is there a way we can address this?
i think the fact that you

a) posted in the wrong subforum
b) used the forbidden '...and it should be simple to impliment'

will ensure that

a) nobody will see your request
b) you'll only be getting this one: PATCH WELCOME. after all its obviously trivial to add
Which brings me to something I have been wondering about, but haven't researched.. Is there any specific audiobook support in XBMC?
Such as grouping audiobooks somehow in the Library and automatically storing resume points (as iTunes does for .m4b files).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
no there's no such functionality
Rainbow 
spiff Wrote:i think the fact that you

a) posted in the wrong subforum
b) used the forbidden '...and it should be simple to impliment'

will ensure that

a) nobody will see your request
b) you'll only be getting this one: PATCH WELCOME. after all its obviously trivial to add

Very deontological. Evidently not all of us are as versed as you in the subtle nuances of what does and does not fit in which subforum as you.

If this is the wrong subforum could I ask for some Mod's help to fix it Smile
TheBoxMan Wrote:If this is the wrong subforum could I ask for some Mod's help to fix it Smile
moved (to the Feature Sufggestion forum).

PS! I would actually like to have a 'audio bookmark' resume feature myself in XBMC.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i see the uses as well. but good news! looks like there's a diff coming up, theboxman is on it.
Rainbow 
spiff Wrote:i see the uses as well. but good news! looks like there's a diff coming up, theboxman is on it.

Well if you're going to wait for me to get well enough versed to do it it might take time ;-)

Right now I'm devoting myself to learning python/ktinker then i'm going to get into python coding for XBMC.

Python's one of those languages I always meant to devote time to. Good to finally get down to it. (by the way does anyone have any suggestions for good tutorials? Especially xbox related ones (relating to the specific modules for XBMC for instance) as that's where I'm planning to eventually take this in the end Wink )
Just a quick note that I think this feature would be great and is one of the very small things I find lacking with XBMC. I use my ipod or my squeeze to listen to audiobooks now (since both bookmark) but would love the ability in XBMC.

And no, I dont code...
Rainbow 
Hey folks, just to say that I'd still be interested in seeing this done if it is possible...

And before spiff jumps down my throat for it I'm not going to suggest it's easy. I'm worldly wise enough now to know what buttons not to press if I don't want folks going crazy.

Hopefully this feature is managable? Can the existing bookmark database for movies be utilised? Or will this mean setting up a separate database for positions of audiobooks?

All the best,

TheBoxMan.
Oh this is a necro threading. But I really need this myself. I listen to audiobooks all the time. And if this was to be added. Then XBMC would be just about complete (apart from blu-ray support).

I Am thinking of setting up my own scrapper for audiobooks. This way we could have a new menu system for audiobooks. With it's own fan art and thumbnails and so on.

Do you think it is worth doing?
Oddsodz Wrote:Oh this is a necro threading. But I really need this myself. I listen to audiobooks all the time. And if this was to be added. Then XBMC would be just about complete (apart from blu-ray support).

I Am thinking of setting up my own scrapper for audiobooks. This way we could have a new menu system for audiobooks. With it's own fan art and thumbnails and so on.

Do you think it is worth doing?

As I frequently listen to audiobooks myself, I would certainly be very happy to see this.
I would also love to be able to bookmark audio files Smile
Well, This is a true necro. (I Did not want to start a new thread).

Anyway. I Have been thinking about this some more of late. And now have changed my mind about doing a website/scrapper (see posts above). It's just not needed. With the wonders of "Smart Play lists" and the normal way of tagging audio files. A Scrapper is not needed at all. So the only thing we "AudioBook" nerds need is just the ability to "start/stop/resume" in the middle of an audio file. Just like you can with a video file. We don't need anything else at all. Sorting a library mode can be done at the "Skin" level with "Smart Play lists" just like some skins have with "HD Movies" (Night and The Carmichael do this with Movies). All a audio file needs is it's genre tagged as "Audiobook" and then have the "Smart Play list" pick that up and sort it. I Have done it with my setup and it works out great.

So I hereby repeat this request for "start/stop/resume" features for audio files in XBMC. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Oddsodz
We almost have it.

See here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86753&page=12

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio bookmarks (like video bookmarks but for music)?2