• 4(current)
[RELEASE] XBMC Skin Manager (Open Source Python Software for Windows)
Great app, thanks.
Little update to fix a problem with Vista (administrator privileges required). Thx to JoeUser38 who helps me to find the problem.

Go here to get the update.
as XBMCTex has now been ported (via SDL) to Linux and Mac OS X it should now be possible to also port this XBMC Skin Manager to Linux and Mac, ...if you can find any volunteer(s) to do that of course.

XBMC Skin Manager is written in python right?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yes, XBMCSM is written in Python.

I already started to port XBMCSM to Linux. Most of work is nearly finished, it can run on both local or FTP mode !
But I have some problems with WxGTK : apparently GUI actions on delayed results thread (like message boxes, ... while operations are running) works fine on Windows but not on WxGTK and program crash after operations...

For Mac OS X, I can't do anything : I don't have a Mac Sad
Maybe use pyqt4 on Linux? ...just something I heard

Huh
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Finally, it looks to work pretty well ! (I was programming on Linux with my laptop and it's an incredible mess, now I'm on another computer and it's workHuh)

But there is another problem : build scripts. I started to do a generic script for Linux (assuming that XBMCTex is in PATH!!) :
Code:
#!/bin/bash

SKINNAME=Containment

echo ------------------------------
echo Creating $SKINNAME Build Folder
rm -Rf BUILD
mkdir -p BUILD/$SKINNAME/media

echo Creating XPR Files...
XBMCTex -input media -output textures.xpr -quality max

echo Copying XPR Files...
mv -f *.xpr BUILD/$SKINNAME/media/

echo Building Skin Directory...

for i in 720p 1080i extras NTSC NTSC16x9 PAL PAL16x9 colors language fonts sounds *.xml
do
  cp -R $i BUILD/$SKINNAME/
done

cp *.txt BUILD &>/dev/null

echo Removing SVN directories from build
rm -Rf BUILD/$SKINNAME/*/.svn

echo Build Complete - Scroll Up to check for errors.
echo Final build is located in the BUILD directory
echo ftp the $SKINNAME folder in the build dir to your xbox

It might work with some modifications for any skin. Now these scripts must be deployed on SVN (if you have no objection, I can do it myself since I have SVN access).
I've finally fixed all GUI problems and now it seem working fine on Linux & Windows and for local or FTP installs Big Grin

But there is probably some remaining bugs so I don't release it immediately. If you want to test XBMC Skin Manager on Linux, just type on a terminal
Code:
svn co https://xboxmediacenter.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xboxmediacenter/XBMC%20Skin%20Manager/
to get python source and
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk2.8 python-svn unrar
to fix dependences (on Ubuntu 8.04 with universe & multiverse enabled)
and finally
Code:
python "XBMC Skin Manager/xbmcsm.pyw"
to run XBMC Skin Manager (ignore update window)

I've just added Linux build script for all skins in SVN at revision 1611 (except for XMBOX which have not one even for Windows Huh). They require to have XBMCTex on PATH if they are run separately. I have included it into the program and PATH is automatically set instead of put one file per skin.
So basically, everything should work fine for skins at revision 1611+ Big Grin

There is the complete changelog :
  • support for local XBMC versions
  • Linux XBMCtex support
  • Better debug messages
  • Changed : build script extension is automatically set depending on current OS
  • Support for skins without build script (using svn export function)
  • The windows are now vertically scrolled (useful for screens with low vertical resolution screens like 720p/WXGA)
  • SVN files operations are logged in verbose mode
So if I understand this thread correctly, it's not possible yet to install this on OSXBMC? The installer is an .exe file.

Equusz
Well, the 0.61 version is Windows only.
The last release works on Windows and Linux but it's not yet finished so the source is available only by SVN.

It's not tested on OSX (I don't have even used a Mac !) but with correct dependencies, it should run correctly (some little modifications are maybe required).
Dependencies are : WxPython, PySVN, unrar and of course XBMCTex
The main problem is build scripts : I've written Linux ones and apparently MacOSX also uses bash. Are skins can be built under OSX with shell scripts ?

If an OSXBMC user with some Python skills can test it and fix it if necessary, it would be great to have this program working on all XBMC platforms.
Equusz Wrote:So if I understand this thread correctly, it's not possible yet to install this on OSXBMC?
I think you meant to ask if it is possible to install XBMC Skin Manager on Mac OS X.

XBMC for Mac and Plex (formerly known as OSXBMC) are not a operating-system, they are just applications (just as XBMC Skin Manager is an application), so you can not install anything on them, you install them in the Mac OS X operating-system.

By the way, more infromation about XBMCTex here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35129
I just tried out the Linux build 0.7pre and it doesn't seem to be working. I have all the dependencies installed. when I run "python xbmcsm.pyw" I get the small window called starting which say upgrading xml or something to that effect. I then get another window which says there is an update available. I close that window and then I get nothing else, it doesn't seem to crash out it just doesn't progress from that point. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin
If you can see init dialogs, it's probably not a dependency problem.

Try debug & logging mode :
Code:
python xbmcsm.pyw dl
You should have a file named 'xbmcsm.log' in program directory. May it will be more verbose.

You can also try other switches for see if it still crashing. See "doc/readme.txt" for details about command line switches.
Just a little update.
I've committed some fixes and improvements some days ago and except if it's buggy, this version will be final 0.7.

@ould : no feedback... does it work ?

But this version will may be the last Sad Of course remaining bugs will be fixed and XML file still maintained but I will not do any new features (does it really need ?). But if someone want continue the development, it would be great (GPL license is done for that)

The main reason is that I currently work on another project still on XBMC but nothing to do with skins. More news will coming soon !
[quote=juju0]
...this version will be final 0.7.
QUOTE]
Thanks so much for building this tool juju0, it makes interacting with the SVN for skins a whole lot easier and more organized.
I used to have a svn folder for every skin on my desktop (as a reminder to update the skins).
With your tool I can see which skins require an update and all of my favorite skins are organized through your tool.

There was only one trouble that I ever ran into with your tool
i) the ability to vertically scroll (which your changelog indicates you have fixed in 0.7).

Cheers and BIG THANKS again for a fantastic tool Big Grin
In fact the ability to scroll windows occurs only when content height is bigger than window height. For example on my 720p TV :
As you can see skins list is too tall to fit on the screen, so it's scrolled. This also works for changelog dialogs.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] XBMC Skin Manager (Open Source Python Software for Windows)1