Music Library, first impressions
I've been using XBMC for about three years now but only started using the music library functionality a couple of days ago. So I've been spending a bit of time cleaning up my own collection by adding ID3 tags where missing, etc.

Here are some initial impressions that seem like shortcomings to me:

1) 'The Beatles' and 'Beatles, The' are not considered the same thing. Any title being words followed by ", The", the title should be rewritten, IMO.
2) There is no simple way to remove an entry from the database
3) There should be an option to "Let folder name override ID3 settings". My music collection is logically sorted with one album in each folder. The database should be able to assume so when scanning for new music.
4) Following the same logic as in 3), if a Folder.jpg is present, use this instead when no graphic is found through the online repository.

Other than this, the library mode is fantastic: I love the party mode and the 3D folder view is amazing ! Smile Although I do wish there was a way to scroll through the albums by hitting left/right.
It's cool, isn't it Smile One wonders why you have taken this long to try it out! I guess you've played with smart playlists as well?

1. That only applies to English, just like "The Beatles" vs "Beatles". Furthermore, there is no suggestion that "The Beatles" and "Beatles" couldn't be separate artists. Assuming things is bad - we rely on tag correctness instead, as then the user has complete control. Yes, it takes a little more work, but in the end is worth it.

2. Yes, that is correct. To remove a file, delete it (from file view, or from FTP or whatever) and "Update Library".

3. Not going to happen. Who says a folder should be an album? Fix your tags - there's programs that will fill the album tag from folder name available. See 1 about assuming things.

4. It already does use folder.jpg. No online repository is looked up unless you specifically request a lookup, and then the thumb is only overwritten if the album doesn't have one.

As for the albums view and moving left to right, that's doable with the skinning engine - see the DVD view in videos for instance.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I humbly withdraw all complaints from previous post :-) I agree that it should be up to the user to make sure all tags are in order. MusicBrainz is working miracles for me at the moment... Haven't tried smart playlists yet. Now you made me curious.
My music library is becoming more and more complete now, as I have slowly over the last couple of months been tagging my collection. At this point, however, there are some albums that are driving me crazy, as xbmc claims individual tracks are tagged with different artists than the rest.

Some of my Smashing Pumpkins album get tagged as "The Smashing Pumkins" while some are just "Smashing Pumkins." Futhermore, some albums by G. Love and Special Sauce. Some of them show up as "G. Love & Special Sauce" (& instead of 'and')

I've usually just been using the built-in functionality in WinXP to tag my mp3s, but for the problematic ones I have been using 'Magic MP3 Tagger'. According to it, both id3v1 and id3v2 tags are set to the same thing and there's no deviations in artist names. What am I missing ?
Go grab MP3tag from http://www.mp3tag.de./en/index.html

I had issues with V1 and V2 tags, and it's an easy way to copy from one to the other.
@sickboy719, I actually just discovered MP3tag right after posting my previous message. Unfortunately the outcome is the same.
Got it ! MP3tag saved me :-)
"Extended Tag" was the bastard that got me. 'Artist' was right, but 'Band' wasn't.
Sandmn, I was interested in your post. I want to use the library but have a very large collection to tag and am anticipating this taking a long time. I have tried "The Godfather" but it is slow going. Did you find Mp3tag quicker than the others you mentioned? Your earlier post said that MusicBrainz was working wonders - if you were starting afresh would you use Mop3tag from the outset?
I can recommend Tag&Rename for mass tag editing.
It is not freeware, but you get a 30 day trial period.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
heh or MediaMonkey Smile
Catchy Signature Here
Media monkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com/

is also fantastic for sorting tags and renaming loads of tracks - I keep all mine sorted with that.
I have used both but for different purposes, does mediamonkey allow you for example to mass tag via filenames for tag less files. Like tag&rename?
@earlneath: I would definitely use MP3tag if I were to start the tagging over again. I haven't done a lot of research comparing different tools, but this program works well for my needs. It's also pretty speedy.

Good luck. My collection is now tagged correctly and I'm happy to be at this stage. Now I just hope that there won't be any internal chances to the xbmc music database so that I'll lose my listening stats when I upgrade Smile
Just done the same myself, something around 37,000 tracks - which has been the main reason I've avoided using the library, it felt like I needed clean tags to use it properly, and lots weren't.... I love the video library so thought it'd be worth making the effort for, tried it out on a few albums and loved/love it!

I've been slowly going through each letter (folders 0 - Z) and tidying them up, reripping if its too bad, using tag&rename to lookup stuff that I couldnt auto tag myself.

I started using media monkey as well because whenever I imported cleaned up tracks to itunes it'd change something - maybe correctly, but I hate apps making decisions on their own! Smile But still found tag&rename the best for changing track file names etc - it might just be cause I've used it for years and am new to Media Monkey.

What I found great about media monkey was to use it for error checking - ie tracks that still have unknown genre or artist name (sigh, there are always mistakes it seems) and making huge mass changes - like I changed all the 001 and 1 tracks to 01, Drum and Bass to Drum&Bass etc.

What I'm really hanging out for is a way to sync play info from the media monkey and xbmc library - I don't really care which one is the umm master library I guess, although it'd be nice if they just mirrored changes - but it would let me synch my ipod into MM, track playcounts from xmbx ... and have a much more accurate capture of my play/listening habits....

in fact I want to walk into my house and have my computer go 'hey dude, you look like you've been enjoying that kiwi dub you've been listening to, I'll start it playing on the stereo, but I'll mix in a little prog house after dinner, cause it's a friday and I know you'll want to start getting amped before you head out....'

Ok so the remote itpod sync isn't that close (well it should be but hey!) but my touch can run my xmbc now, so I don't see why I should have to make all the decisions and wear my finger out too Smile
kiwi dub? Bloody NZers :p

foobar2000's tagger is great for accuracy as well. It picks up everything XBMC does plus way more (so good for finding those hidden tags that some other tagging apps don't pick up).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library, first impressions0