Jump in with both feet!!!
Ola chaps...

I shall have an xbmc htpc by the end of the week!!

quick specs list...

ASUS M2N-VM HDMI - built in NVidia HMDI gfx card!!
2tb Hdd - 5400rpm
AMD Athlon LE-1640 2.7Ghz
2gb ddr2 800 ram

I've been backing up my DVD's to ISO's and am planning to try to wedge them all on the 2tb hdd along with some emulators and stuff

a few quick q's... I'm planning to use the live edition and I've got a usb wireless gamepad... hasn't arrived yet but coming from hk so i'm guessing it's gonna be as generic as they come! would it be possible to use this as the main interface instead of a keyboard and mouse? will it boot without the keyboard??

also... with all the dvd's being just an iso file... is there a way to get xbmc to display dvd covers? would i need to put the iso's into individual folders for that to work? or can i group them into genre's?

I'm sure i got more questions but I'll leave it here for now cause i got to get it all set up!

If anyone can spot any problems or have any advice i'd appreciate it... I've been after a proper htpc for ages... just need to back up the rest of my dvd's!!! lol...
Perhaps a good place to start would be to read this. I don't think it'll answer all your questions, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what you're working with.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide
shugs81 Wrote:also... with all the dvd's being just an iso file... is there a way to get xbmc to display dvd covers?
It'll do this automagically and they'll appear in the Video Library after you add your movie folder as a source, set its content to movies, and then scan for content.
shugs81 Wrote:would i need to put the iso's into individual folders for that to work?

Nope, but its a good idea for organizational purposes especially if you plan to add additional things like logo's, extra thumbs and extra fanart for your movies/tv shows
shugs81 Wrote:or can i group them into genre's?
As per your first question, XBMC will do this automatically once you have scanned your movies into the Video Library.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
Bah!!! after snapping the fan retainer of the mobo and having to wait ages to get a replacement from china and i get error 25 when i try to run anything...

any ideas?? Sad
shugs81 Wrote:Bah!!! after snapping the fan retainer of the mobo and having to wait ages to get a replacement from china and i get error 25 when i try to run anything...

any ideas?? Sad

You need to give us a bit more info. Where is the error 25 coming from? XBMC? The OS? The BIOS?

JR
damn phone!!! I had posted a response but obviously didn't work... did it via phone...

Turned out to be a duff cd... i re downloaded the image but it would let me wipe the cdrw i had it on so that must've been the issue... it's currently installing as we speak... all i need to do now is to start transferring my dvd's over to this machine!! woohoo!!!

also... is there any way to set a game pad as the controller rather than a remote? just i've got one of them but no remote... it picked it up too...

also how do i add emulators?? sooo many questions!!! so close to having them answered too as it's almost running!!!!
setting up controllers and games/emulators is a regular thing on xbmc, and many users here on the forums and written guides and help topics regarding such. Hit the search button and try your luck Smile
I have tried to search for stuff but failed to find anything... but I will admit it has been put on the back burner for the minute as it plays videos... which was the main thing... will have to do proper dig through... I have just bought a Generic rc which is mce compatible so whenthat arrives hopefully should work out of the box! Was only 4 quid delivered!
programs like xpadder, joy2key, etc. might help you to use a controller or gamepad within xbmc as you like. in the wiki there's info about setting it up i believe.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jump in with both feet!!!0