Poll: What should be name of Xbox Media Center now that there is an Linux port?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
XBMC as a meaningless acronym, the X.B.M.C. standing for nothing.
55.45%
XBMC-Linux
15.84%
XBMC for Linux, XBMC for Mac, XBMC for Windows, XBMC for Xbox, etc.
10.89%
XBMC as an abbreviation for "XrossBox Media Center" (pronounced 'Cross-Box Media Center')
11.88%
I have another great name and I'll post it!
5.94%
Total
101 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?
Gamester17 Wrote:...we also said that none of the letters in XBMC abbreviation should stand for a specific operating-system/platform, ("**** for Xbox", "**** for Linux", "**** for Windows", etc. is fine but) the name/abbreviation should be platform-independent, so any name suggestions with "Linux", "OSX", "Windows" and so on in the name will just be ignored. So if you guys really want to help, think of a unique (not taken .com/.org domain) name that has the abbreviation X.B.M.C. where none of the letters stand for (or relates to) a specific operating-system or hardware-platform.

Pretty sure he just asked us to think of domain names? lets not play who wants to be a moderator here.
Lightbulb 
QuickJolt Wrote:Pretty sure he just asked us to think of domain names? lets not play who wants to be a moderator here.

This is not about moderation it's about having a domain name that's available Nod it costs about $2 (or less?) to register a domain name and by the time a good suggestion is decided it's probably going to be taken, since we are publicly announcing the suggestions Wink
also know that sometimes when you check if a domain is free, some BASTARD companies regs it and wants to sell if for a much higher price, YES, I claim that some whois services works together with domain companies to steal domains
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

MCP: Media Center Project
Why not just have one of those fashionable recursive definitions?

XBMC Based Media Center
Keeping the XBMC abbreviation seems like a wise thing to me, because it's already known to millions that way.

Also I think the 'MC' part should stay an abbreviation for 'Media Center', and keeping 'Box' somewhere in the name will honours it's roots.

Given "*X*Box* Media Center", that doesn't keep much possibilities open;
"XrossBox Media Center" is nice, but has one problem: Xross would normally be pronounced "ex-ros", not "cross".

So, maybe one of these is better? :

"(e)Xciting-Box Media Center" <- my favorite

"(e)Xtended Box Media Center"
"(e)Xtensible Box Media Center"

"(e)Xpandable Box Media Center"
"(e)Xpanded Box Media Center"
"(e)Xpanding Box Media Center"
"(e)Xpansion-Box Media Center" <- nice one

"(e)Xposed Box Media Center"

"(e)Xtreme Box Media Center"

We could extend 'Box' to 'Boxed', giving "*X* Boxed Media Center", with meanings like "Xtremely Boxed Media Center", or "(e)Xtreme-Boxed Media Center". But I don't think it sounds right this way.

Last, here one half-serious idea, dropping the "Box" :

"(e)Xchangable Brain Media Center" ;-)
My first opinion of xbmc was that it sounds tech and complex. Also I think its too hard to use in real life when recommending the program to a person.

I think there are two vital elements to the name

- It should be recognisable and,
- One should be able to know what it is by reading the name.

My opinion is it should be 'X.B.Media.Center' which is still able to be abbreviated to XBMC but on the official site and hopefully others it is called by its full name so people know exactly what it is by the name.
Quite a few Linux gui apps start with X anyways so thats a good start.

XWMC - X Windows Media Centre
Server: FreeNas 9 NAS: 6*3TB - Kodi Sql Database
Kodi Systems: Nvidia Shield Pro, G-Box Q (OpenElec), RikoMagic MK802 IV[
Skin: reFocus
personally i think it should still be XBMC why should it have to change just because its on a different platform?

if it is going to change what about dropping the B to XMC?

Xwindows Media Centre
Xbox Media Centre
or just X Media Centre

i still reckon XBMC should be the one, seems daft to change it
another reason for dropping all meaning of the 4 letters is so people from UK won't mangle our name with 'centre'
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

pike Wrote:another reason for dropping all meaning of the 4 letters is so people from UK won't mangle our name with 'centre'

Whenever I see that I pronounce it "cen tray". Looks almost as silly as programme ("program ME!").
My neighbour would like to know what colour the logo will be.
althekiller Wrote:My neighbour would like to know what colour the logo will be.
As we already said, no matter what we will keep the "XBMC" abbreviation so we will be keeping the 'old' logo.
(we will probably remove the "MEDIA CENTER" text from the default logo though but that is it).

Get the complete logo package here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/xbmc/XB...e_v1.0.zip

ee XBMC_logo_guidelines.pdf for rules & quidelines on usage (the logo it is not open source like the rest of XBMC!)!
Hehe...I was just continuing the UK mangling bit. Maybe I should have added a smily to drive that point across.
Gamester17 just doesn't have his sarcasm detector on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?0