Poll: What should be name of Xbox Media Center now that there is an Linux port?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
XBMC as a meaningless acronym, the X.B.M.C. standing for nothing.
55.45%
XBMC-Linux
15.84%
XBMC for Linux, XBMC for Mac, XBMC for Windows, XBMC for Xbox, etc.
10.89%
XBMC as an abbreviation for "XrossBox Media Center" (pronounced 'Cross-Box Media Center')
11.88%
I have another great name and I'll post it!
5.94%
Total
101 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?
"Mangled" indeed!

As a UK guy I should officially take offense and go on about how English was invented by the English etc etc but even I prefer American spellings sometimes ("color" vs. "colour"). I prefer "center".

Back on topic, "XBMC" is such a strong brand that I vote it stays. You could still refer to it as x-box Media Center, where "x" in the mathematical sense could be any value eventually (Linux, Windows etc).
Iceman-UK Wrote:You could still refer to it as x-box Media Center, where "x" in the mathematical sense could be any value eventually (Linux, Windows etc).
don't think Microsoft would approve of that http://venturebeat.com/2007/08/22/micros...y-routine/ No
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I kind of like the suggestion Ralfey made:

Xtensively
Broad
Media
Coverage
yuvalt Wrote:My take: XBMC is a strong brand and we should keep it. We need to get rid of XboxMediaCenter and stick with XBMC as a meanigless acronym.

Agreed.
Shouldn't this be in the user forum pike?
I really liked the suggestion for LBMC as in Linux Box Media Center.

The X needs to be removed to avoid confusion with the Xbox Version.
I agree the Xross Box Media Center is the best suggestion by far, and someone deserves a gold star for that suggestion.

Why?
You get to keep the same domain. Instead of having to buy another domain you keep xboxmediacenter and then just do a retheme and rebrand where you change the color scheme post a new logo, yes a new logo. It is important that you change the logo because the software has changed paradigms completely and people will know that something is different immediately when they see the same logo, they just may not know what it is yet. When they read X(cross) Box Media Center they'll know that it is cross platform. People need to understand that this is a new XBMC not the one that worked only for xbox. You can also use that as a method to force everyone to learn the new meaning behind the word. That being said XBMC will still have clear ties to the previous versions, and people will clearly associate it, and if people never learn the new meaning it still works because xbox media center can still mean X Box Media Center, and either way it is clear what they are talking about. I think the most important thing will be coming up with a logo that easily communicates that X stands for cross so that people will get the meaning behind the name change.

I was thinking keep the base logo the same just change the color of the background and make all the letters a different color. Then below it you can just type out what it means such that the colors correspond with each word.

I'm still torn about how accurate you need to be when spelling it out whether or not to refer to it all spelled out as Xross Box Media Center, Cross Box Media Center, or X Box Media Center.

Anyway just a couple ideas, hope it helps out and keep up the great work. I have used XBMC since the very first CVS version, and I am very eager to get to try Xross Box Media Center.

Seriously... haven't the developers already said it'll be XBMC (without having any acronym meaning) and that the Linux port will be referred to as XBMC-Linux or XBMC for Linux? JM, SPIFF (all caps... woo!), Elupus, etc... correct me if I'm wrong, please.

References:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=146...stcount=27
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=146...stcount=43
Actually, we have not put it to an official vote yet, and we also only discussed the Linux version so far.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Ahh ok. I apologize then and retract my beating of the dead horse.
no need to apologize, but there's no need to discuss or resuggest the options that have already been discarded as bad ideas

I suggest:
marshpiffikeupus17

I bet it's free as a domain name.
I suggest we make more constructive posts like:

The original name XBMC should stay, no matter what,
the rest, I don't care, that's for the devs, they get to name their baby, they made itRolleyes
my suggestion is MediaGuru.

I think it speaks for itself.
@Gamester17

doesnt PS3 have something called XMB = XrossMediaBar ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?0