Poll: What should be name of Xbox Media Center now that there is an Linux port?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
XBMC as a meaningless acronym, the X.B.M.C. standing for nothing.
55.45%
XBMC-Linux
15.84%
XBMC for Linux, XBMC for Mac, XBMC for Windows, XBMC for Xbox, etc.
10.89%
XBMC as an abbreviation for "XrossBox Media Center" (pronounced 'Cross-Box Media Center')
11.88%
I have another great name and I'll post it!
5.94%
Total
101 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?
pike Wrote:@Gamester17

doesnt PS3 have something called XMB = XrossMediaBar ?
Yeah it does, Sony deserves the gold star! LOL
Yes the PS3 has something called XMB which stands for XrossMediaBar (pronounced "Cross Media Bar")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XrossMediaBar

I do not think that makes XrossBox Media Center a bad choise for the XBMC acronym, if fact I would argue that the name proves that "Xross" is pronounced "Cross" and not "X-ross".
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I don't know how to explain this, but that Sony already uses Xross isn't a positive, it's a big fat negative in my book
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

No offense to the people who have suggested or endorsed the "Xross" thing, but it stinks of marketing, and not even good marketing. I've got nothing against good marketing to make your product more visible, but the whole wordplay thing is kind of 1996 (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a teenage girl). It reminds me of the companies that try using l33t without really understanding where it came from or without realizing that nobody has used it seriously in the last decade.

Look at all of the really popular OSS projects out there and look at their names (Firefox, Audacity, Blender, Gimp, Gaim, Media Portal, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, etc). With the exception of Linux (which doesn't really apply, since it's been around so long), all of the names are simple, straighforward, and are spelled exactly as they're pronounced. Some hint at what the software does, but obviously not all of them.

"XBMC" is similar because although it's an acronym, it's still spelled exactly as it sounds and is easy to remember. Once you start getting into things like "Xross", you lose the simplicity and start confusing people ("Hey man.. check out xrossmediacenter.com. It's spelled with an X instead of a C at the beginning." vs "check out buttshakermediacenter.com").

Not to mention that just having another company use the term "Xross" wouldn't be that bad, but when it's directly related to something this project does... not good. My suggestion would be to stick with XBMC and just drop all meaning from the acronym. If an additional domain name is needed for that, get something simple like team-xmbc.com (similar to MP's) or xbmcproject.com.
How about XBMC-L or XBMC-LP? That way it sticks with the same name but the L or LP signifies it is the Linux Port? Simple, short and tells the person exactly what it is. Apologies if this has already been suggested/dismissed.

Dan
Gamester17 Wrote:no decisions have been made so lets just call it "XBMC for Linux" for now,
...we know we want to keep "XBMC", just not agreed what it will stand for.

Though I personaly suggested "XrossBox Media Center" (pronouced "Cross-Box Media Center", similar to how XenSource is pronounced 'Zen-Source') internally to Team-XBMC, and if you noticed this name still makes XBMC (X.B.M.C.) the short name for it, (as in XrossBox Media Center). However not eveyone elase on Team-XBMC liked that name, however I have to say that I strongly like the name XrossBox myself. My arguments for suggestion the name XrossBox is that the word 'CROSS' associates to both "cross-platform" and "cross-port", which is what XBMC will be, a multi-platform software running cross both multiple hardware platforms and multiple operating-systems. The word 'BOX' in "XrossBox" associates to the fact that it is designed to run on a stand-alone 'device' (ei. 'a box'), 'BOX' also associates to TV (as in Tele-Vision) which XBMC is viewed on, I'm refering to TV as in 'TV-BOX' (TV which has slang the "The Box" in the the U.S.A. and England).

I also happen to think that the name "XrossBox Media Center" is catchy and is easy to remember.

Anyway, the point of any name-change made would be to have a platform neutral meaning (since XBMC will be running on at least the Xbox and Linux, and maybe even OSX and Windows as well in a couple of years time), though the new name should still be 'catchy' and easy to remember.

It's worth mentioning that X can stand for cross already...
(e.g. on signs in trains going to Kings Cross station etc)
so it could be XBMC standing for Cross Box Media Centre.
Whats XBMC stand for if its no longer just for the Xbox? Xtremely Broad Media Center?
Or is it a name composed of letters
It's phonetic.

Its just a name composed of letters.

kind of like MIPS which used to stand for Microprocessor without Interlocked Pipeline Stages Smile [until they decided to get interlocked pipeline stages] now its just called MIPS.
** Team XBMC Tester** XBMC 4 ever

Now that the Xbox is no longer supported is it time to come up with a new name for XBMC? Besides the fact that the XBox is gone it's called XBMC Media Center which translates to XBox Media Center Media Center which is like saying L.A.P.D. Police Department.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
What is wrong with XBMC? Does it HAVE to stand for something?
Dobyken Wrote:Now that the Xbox is no longer supported is it time to come up with a new name for XBMC? Besides the fact that the XBox is gone it's called XBMC Media Center which translates to XBox Media Center Media Center which is like saying L.A.P.D. Police Department.

XBMC hasn't stood for "XBox Media Center" for sometime, it is simply XBMC, which is a recursive acronym for "XBMC Media Center".

There is no need for a name change, the XBMC brand is very strong and coming up with a new name would bring no benefit at all - if anything it would devalue the project.
How 'bout just making it "xb media center"? That would make more sense than "xbmc media center" IMHO. Then the obvious abbreviation would still be xbmc.
I guess there is no need the rename a puplic good known project .....
And the XB is only a reminder to the old days in where XBMC was born.
We get a thread like this every once in a while.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?0