PlayStation 3 (PS3) XMB (XrossMediaBar) skin replica/clone ("XMBOX") maybe someday...
All the other modes except settings have that upper menu piece, and thats only because I stopped coding it. I didn't want to continue if I was re-inventing the wheel. Plus it was hard to understand how some of the menu were supposed to work, without ever seeing one in real life. If I get some free time the weekend, I'll see what I can do.
be sure to check some videos on youtube on the PS3 interface, like the ones Gamester17 posted.
the vertical menu should be 1 object, so eventhough your current method is pretty smart, it's not as good as it should be.
i really hope you'll be able to make it work, either using my idea, or one of your own.
getting it to work will make sure that it's really do-able to replicate the PS3 interface, i'm excited Big Grin
Good luck MacGyver Nod
Yeah this should be pretty easy to make now with the static content lists but I never saw the point I never liked the UI of it but thats personal choice I guess
I'll see what I can do tonight after work, I'll try to correct some of the issues in the screens I've done so far, by that I mean animations, and some hidden buttons to eliminate the need to press enter or a to move within the menus. If I have time, I'll try to fix some on screen control graphics for the overlays.

I'll try to make it a point to finish this skin if I can, but my track record isn't very good for finishing things on my own. I'll try. If anybody has any good links to XMB icons and animated backgrounds without icons and crap on them, by all means point me to them, and if anybody (blaize) wants to help out, I'll create a SVN for it, and give you the details.

I'll see what I can do.
I can get all the icons for the PSP, they are the same as PS3 with a few exceptions.
and also the icons from the horizontal PS3 menu.

When you get the main menu working i can do some back pages like the movie HUD, Pictures, etc.
any updates to this skin?

Its awesome!
Blaize and I have been working on it in our spare time.
We are getting there, but like all skins here, we work on it in our free time.
If anybody has an animated gif or an avi of the smoke effect (with no icons) that loops well, then post it here, it will save us some time in the future, and keep blaize from having to create it from scratch.
Yeah, the skin is having some nice progress, we had to make a few tough choices about the menu's (what to include, and what to leave out) but we've pretty much decided on all of that.

A looping background animation would be great yeah, i've found a way to make it, but it'll take me ALLOT of time
i don't know if this will be of any help, but i found an xmb icon pack over at deviant-art. you can download it here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/11ivmo

bare in mind that these icons are from the psp, they are a bit different from the ps3 xmb. but there may be some usefull icons inside.

good luck on developing this skin!
I've allready done all (except for about 3/4) of the icons, but thanks anyway Smile
This is looking sweet!
keep up the work!

also...if you can darken the skin a lil bitTongue

the one you have is fine...is just..I like dark/black coloursTongue
still working on it, about 2-3 hours a night, when i can, finished ALOT, maybe 1 or 2 major things left,and various other minor things on 720p, then it's just a matter of porting it over to 4x3, which will suck, but not that badly.

as far as the darkness goes, blaize is creating the smoke effect from scratch, and will be transparent, I am already building the ability to diffuse colors into a custom background of your choice, and blaize is working with the guys who run the mc360 theme downloading site trying to setup the download area used by mc360 to allow for in skin theme downloads (not created by me, don't worry Smile ) in XMBox.
nice to know it's almost done, cant wait to see it finished!
Sorry about the delay, but like all the other skinners, real life comes first.
Anyway, rather then say what is done, here is whats left:

Kai, not done, needs graphics to complete.
On-screen keyboard, need graphics.
Generic popups, I'll see what I can do this week (no graphics needed, do to the way XMB works).
OSD primary menu, layout done, need a few graphic replacments for crude place-holders.
OSD secondary menus, not done.
OS status, easy, when I get to it.
Currently I have no "Currently Playing Media" overlays, I may not add them, unless someone shows me what they would look like on a PS3.
I also need various things like arrows, and check boxes.
Blaize is working on the transparent animated smoke effect, and has given me a frame to get the custom backgrounds and color selection in order.

Blaize is working on the graphics as he can, I can't release it until ALL of the PM3 graphics are removed, and all the graphics so far have been created by blaize, so no file copyright issues with our own stuff.

Some elements of a PS3 can't be re-created on XBMC, namely, XBMC lacks the ability to select items on anything other then <onclick> in content list menus (a nice <select_on>down</select_on> would be nice for horizontal scrolling lists (and no, you can't parse information from a list to a button, all <ondown> is the same for every item in the list and can't be told otherwise). Not all of the OSD elements can be mapped because not all objects in the keymap.xml can be mapped to buttons (no <onclick>Aspect Ratio</onclick>. Animated icons as thumbnails (ie. videos) can't be done (I tried, but menu list's focused icons don't support video overlays Smile ) And no glowing menu items, because you can't fade any text that is not in a button, lists don't work (I don't know why). I programmed the skin to support multiple color themes from the start (it currently does 6), and it even can change the smoke's hue, but until the skinning engine has access to the date/time, it won't change based upon time of day or season automatically, until then, you will have to set it yourself Smile .

I don't have a PS3 so it's hard to code this from youtube videos and screen shots, when I'm done, and release something, it will be called Alpha, and based upon feedback, I'll tweek it to be more PS3 like. Then it will be beta. Smile

Have a nice day.
heh.. i've been sick in bed for 3 days now, so not really able to make stuff Tongue
i'll take a look at how many images i've got left to make, i'm sure there wont be That many left Smile

i'm sure this skin will see the light of day pretty soon

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PlayStation 3 (PS3) XMB (XrossMediaBar) skin replica/clone ("XMBOX") maybe someday...0