Play music while watching video?
Has anybody ever thought about the possibility of an option to keep music playing when selecting a video?

I think this could be a really fun feature....

Thanks so much Smile
It's already there (if you mean listening to music while "selecting" video as you wrote in the body)

Play music, press backspace, browse through library, music keeps playing in the background until you play something else (ie. movie)

If you mean listening to music while "watching" video as you wrote in the title, then no, and I don't see the point either
aptalca Wrote:If you mean listening to music while "watching" video as you wrote in the title, then no, and I don't see the point either

haha, that is what I meant. I think there is a point for it sometimes....eg one might want to have some kind of widlife / BBC Earth-type footage on screen with your own soundtrack. At the other end of the spectrum your own music can be a big improvement on adult video soundtracks!
I agree, this feature would we awesome. Would be nice to play music while watching a game or music while watching any show your not interested in hearing.
japhule Wrote:I know the answer is "No" (and sorry for the bump) but this would be a great feature for the Karaoke functionality of XBMC...having videos playing in the background while singing to a song... maybe we'll get this one day. With XBMC's cdg support already implemented, xbmc can could be an inexpensive alternative to the expensive karaoke machines found in many clubs/karaoke bars that play random videos with music+lyrics.
This is already implemented, see defaultbackground in Advancedsettings.xml

V.
You'll get the best idea about what I'm after by visiting comfytube.com. It's very self explanatory, you don't need to do anything except go to the page and you'll get what it's about.

Basically what I'm after doing is being able to listen to any song in my library and have it accompanied by an audible and visual lit fireplace as well as the sound of rain.

It's a very relaxing way of listening to certain types of music when sat at the PC and I'd love for the functionality to be replicated in XBMC either via a plugin or as a built in feature.

What do you think?
LOL, this is so cheesy, but I kind of like it.

Either way, this isn't so much an XBMC feature, but a plugin--and honestly, you may be able to just hack this into existence using an external player to play either the video of the fire+rain sound, and XBMC playing the song from your library, or vice versa.

Another idea that might work is seeing if you can easily somehow just turn a video into a visualization, but I don't know if that is possible, or how you would add the sound of the fire and the rain.

This MIGHT be a little hard to find support for, so you may wanna look into the external player idea.
Apologies if this has already been suggested - the search functionality keeps cutting out the terms "playing at the same" when I tried to search on the title phrase...

maybe this has been suggested before, but I'd love to see the ability to play video and a separate music file (or stream) at the same time. I don't mean a music video - I'd like to cater for party situations and be able to play tv (e.g. the football, via tvheadend using the pvr functionality) or a cool action movie to keep the blokes happy, then launch a music file or stream to play instead of the tv audio, to keep the wife happy...

I'd envisage something like:
  1. Play video file or tv channel
  2. Leave video playing then enter music section and bring up context menu for a music file/stream
  3. Select option to play music file/stream over the top of the currently playing video (disabling/muting the video's audio stream)
  4. Pressing stop would either stop the music and start playing the video's audio stream again, or just stop both, whichever is easier to implement

Would this sort of functionality be possible to code with the way dvdplayer and paplayer currently work or am I dreaming?
Hi,
Hmm I just searched to do this also. LOL I thought it would be nice to watch a fireplace with Christmas carols playing on top of it, without have to encode a whole new video. (the video is a 60sec loop anyway) the thought of encoding it for hours with Christmas music is daunting Sad

It looks like a few of us would like this feature. Has this been added yet or planned for a future release or even the plugin idea sounds cool.
Let me know if there is a hack Smile

I'm running a minimal Ubuntu install on a Revo and loving it.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Flip out...
make the fireplace video a gif animation then you can play music while watching it, as for actually supporting video + music I must say its a really unnecessary feature. Its a feature that would basically alter the entire player handling in xbmc also.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:make the fireplace video a gif animation then you can play music while watching it, as for actually supporting video + music I must say its a really unnecessary feature. Its a feature that would basically alter the entire player handling in xbmc also.

Just an idea (I understand the appeal of this feature... maybe playing family videos in the background with a different soundtrack), but maybe could you create a custom audio feed similar to how multiple language tracks are handled in the video, but instead point it at a playlist?

I know next to nothing about the decoding side, but it seems that that might be possible?

Or just ignore me Big Grin
Resurrecting an old thread - seems as though there is some demand for this feature. backlist's idea (custom audio track) seems feasible at first glance as sync wouldn't be an issue, though I too am a coding ignoramus!

Would there be any way to implement such an idea, via an addon if ness?
Someone figured out a way to do this by using the karaoke feature. I don't have a link off-hand, but last winter we had fireplaces with music :)
Ok, not sure if anybody has found a solution to this but the one I use, (i'm on Linux btw) is to create a bash script using mplayer to play my playlist. I use another bash script to use mplayer to play my video, I have a hour long log fire video, and a 3rd bash script that runs both of the first scripts to run simultaneously. I then use advanced launcher to run that script. This works for me but the downside is I can't control the playlist. I'm sure this can be done with a pipe from mplayer. Hope this helps.
P.S i'm not a programmer or scripter but have managed to get this working
(2014-09-21, 20:43)kuabi Wrote: Ok, not sure if anybody has found a solution to this but the one I use, (i'm on Linux btw) is to create a bash script using mplayer to play my playlist. I use another bash script to use mplayer to play my video, I have a hour long log fire video, and a 3rd bash script that runs both of the first scripts to run simultaneously. I then use advanced launcher to run that script. This works for me but the downside is I can't control the playlist. I'm sure this can be done with a pipe from mplayer. Hope this helps.
P.S i'm not a programmer or scripter but have managed to get this working

You could take mpd as backend and the mpc addon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play music while watching video?1