[RELEASE] EasyNews Streamer (Script)
Has anyone been able to get the Easynews plugin to work?

I've spent tons of search time looking for a resolution but haven't found much. Is it me or is this one not working?

I'd love to help out to get this one working again - I really miss it!
So I was playing around with this script and I got it to work today on both my XBOX and Apple TV.

First of all, the two tricks already posted were both necessary. Moving the skins folder under resources and also adding the window focus line to Default.py (mentioned on page 4 of this thread).

Also, to add some more newsgroups, or change them... just go into resources > language > english and edit strings.xml.

Here you can just edit the groups that are available. If you want to add them, you'll need to give them an unused number and also add them to the appropriate section in Default.py.

For the search results, I tweaked the easynews code so that instead of just returning the default selections from each search (which is just subject), instead it returns the newest results first. This way, if you run a blank search in any of the newsgroups, it will bring back the most recent results... in effect you can just browse groups!

To put this change in place, edit Default.py, search for the line starting with url2 = and change it to:

Code:
url2 = "&sbj=&from=&ns=&fil=&fex=&vc=&ac=&fty^5B^5D=VIDEO&s1=dtime&s1d=-=&s2=nrfile&s2d=^2B&s3=dsize&s3d=^2B&pby="

Two more things I noticed:

- You have to be running Project Mayhem III as your skin (not PM3.HD). If you can't use Project Mayhem for some reason, you can rename the folder under resources/skins in the plugin to match your skin and it will work, but it will make everything look way out of whack... I might try redoing the XML file to get it to work with PM3.HD or MediaStream.

- If you are not using XBOX or Windows, you'll need to change this line:

Code:
BASE_SETTINGS_PATH = os.path.join( "P:\\script_data", __scriptname__ )

to this:

Code:
BASE_SETTINGS_PATH = os.path.join( "special://profile", "script_data", __scriptname__ )

This made everything work on my Apple TV. But I needed to leave the line unchanged for everything to work on my xbox.

One more thing, on an AppleTV, you need to place this in the My Scripts folder under scripts, not in Common Scripts.

Hope this helps!
nothingcool Wrote:So I was playing around with this script and I got it to work today on both my XBOX and Apple TV.

First of all, the two tricks already posted were both necessary. Moving the skins folder under resources and also adding the window focus line to Default.py (mentioned on page 4 of this thread).

Also, to add some more newsgroups, or change them... just go into resources > language > english and edit strings.xml.

Here you can just edit the groups that are available. If you want to add them, you'll need to give them an unused number and also add them to the appropriate section in Default.py.

For the search results, I tweaked the easynews code so that instead of just returning the default selections from each search (which is just subject), instead it returns the newest results first. This way, if you run a blank search in any of the newsgroups, it will bring back the most recent results... in effect you can just browse groups!

To put this change in place, edit Default.py, search for the line starting with url2 = and change it to:

Code:
url2 = "&sbj=&from=&ns=&fil=&fex=&vc=&ac=&fty^5B^5D=VIDEO&s1=dtime&s1d=-=&s2=nrfile&s2d=^2B&s3=dsize&s3d=^2B&pby="

- You have to be running Project Mayhem III as your skin (not PM3.HD). If you can't use Project Mayhem for some reason, you can rename the folder under resources/skins in the plugin to match your skin and it will work, but it will make everything look way out of whack... I might try redoing the XML file to get it to work with PM3.HD or MediaStream.

Code:

to this:

Code:
BASE_SETTINGS_PATH = os.path.join( "special://profile", "script_data", __scriptname__ )

This made everything work on my Apple TV. But I needed to leave the line unchanged for everything to work on my xbox.

One more thing, on an AppleTV, you need to place this in the My Scripts folder under scripts, not in Common Scripts.

Hope this helps!

This worked -THANK YOU!!!!

You were right about the skin not working. I renamed Project Mayhem III folder and all is good but navigation is a bit of a challenge.

Have you tried the version of Easynews Streamer that is in SVN Repo Installer? It seems to be similar and I was wondering if that could be modified like this one? My version quit working a few months ago which brought me to this one. I'm a noob when it comes to Python.

Again many thanks for the information.
nothingcool Wrote:So I was playing around with this script and I got it to work today on both my XBOX and Apple TV.

Code:

Code:

to this:

Code:

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much. It works on my Linux box now. I was wondering if anyone has a problem with buffering on the XBOX. It is really hit or miss. Some movies will play fine, but I just tried to watch Fight Club, and it played thru the intro right up to the plane scene then "Buffering", then quit

Script output shows I my account has boost turned on for Easynews, also, I have 25/15 internet. Just curious. Thanks all. Ed great script as always. I haven't worked on it at all.

PS also the one in the SVN doesn't seem to work.
1 Original XBOX XBMC with every game under the sun
3 Raspberry Pi's w/ Openelec Kodi shared MySQL db
1 Win7 Kodi hosting shared MySQL and media
1 Mythbuntu backend v.27 and HD Homerun Prime 3 tuners
Sadly my Apple TV bit the bullet and I replaced it with a htpc running Windows 7 and XBMC. This script was running on my ATV with some modifications (see my post above) but since I've changed to my htpc I can longer configure it to work.
Does anyone have this script running on a Windows version of XBMC?
I would love the help.
zydeco Wrote:Sadly my Apple TV bit the bullet and I replaced it with a htpc running Windows 7 and XBMC. This script was running on my ATV with some modifications (see my post above) but since I've changed to my htpc I can longer configure it to work.
Does anyone have this script running on a Windows version of XBMC?
I would love the help.

Man I wish I could help, I have since left Easynews, but I might have a backup copy. Only caveat is that I won't be able to test these backups without being a member. I will give it a look for my backup and let you know.

Also can you please post your Win7 Debug log?

On Win7 can you login to the Easynews site and start a stream thru your browser of a tv show or something?
jwdv22 please check pm.

I'd love to try.

I can stream right from their site.
However, I imagine that if neither my backup OR your script doesn't work maybe we can troubleshoot it on here and see if anyone else chimes in.

I also know the developer of this script, but don't want to bring him into this since he has moved on to other projects.
Thank you.

I'll install tonight and post results.

I tried contacting Ed but I agree that he has moved on. Thank you Ed for the original scrip.
So...

Code:
to this:

Code:

NEEDS to be updated because I had to do this change to Windows7 as well... Not sure if I had done that when I used it last time or not, but I got it working with all the changes done in this thread. If I find the time I will make all these changes to the code and have 2 versions, XBOX, and everything else...

So zydeco extract the second file I sent you from my dropbox and put it under XBMC\scripts\

Also I had to reinstall Project Mayhem III skin if you haven't done that already.
jwdv22 Wrote:So...

Code:
to this:

Code:

NEEDS to be updated because I had to do this change to Windows7 as well... Not sure if I had done that when I used it last time or not, but I got it working with all the changes done in this thread. If I find the time I will make all these changes to the code and have 2 versions, XBOX, and everything else...

So zydeco extract the second file I sent you from my dropbox and put it under XBMC\scripts\

Also I had to reinstall Project Mayhem III skin if you haven't done that already.

THANK YOU!!!

I can't tell you how much help you have been!

I did exactly as you detailed and it's up and running again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] EasyNews Streamer (Script)0