• 3(current)
Android KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2016) based on Android TV
You won't get that speed from a Sony, see my review.
(2016-11-22, 20:09)CiNcH Wrote: You won't get that speed from a Sony, see my review.

Hi,

Thank you for the link, the review was very comprehensive and unfortunately validated my findings.
It's indeed very sad that in 2016 sony still puts 100Mbit ethernet controller on a 4k TV.
Anyway, 802.11ac seems to be a solution, but still limited by the usb 2.0.
I was also thinking if a usb3.0 to gigabit ethernet adapter would work ?
Quote:I was also thinking if a usb3.0 to gigabit ethernet adapter would work ?
I don't think that any 3rd party USB WiFi driver/firmware is included in the firmware.
(2016-11-22, 20:32)CiNcH Wrote:
Quote:I was also thinking if a usb3.0 to gigabit ethernet adapter would work ?
I don't think that any 3rd party USB WiFi driver/firmware is included in the firmware.

You are probably right, knowing sony's history with third party integration, it is very unlikely.
I will try with an ac router...
Not sure how you assumed they'd put a Gigabit adapter on a TV, really Wink
You'd probably never get near 1gb/s on any embedded devices, anyway, due to internal architecture (often, the ethernet adapter run on usb2 bus internally)
(2016-11-23, 09:08)Koying Wrote: Not sure how you assumed they'd put a Gigabit adapter on a TV, really Wink
You'd probably never get near 1gb/s on any embedded devices, anyway, due to internal architecture (often, the ethernet adapter run on usb2 bus internally)

I have a 50$ android box with gigabit ethernet which reaches 480 Mbit/s on a 500 Mbit line. It has a similar mediatek soc as the sony tv...so it is possible. It's 2016.
Well, yeah, it's 2016, and the trend is to stream video from the cloud, be it Netflix, Amazon, or whatever, in case you didn't notice Wink
Pretty sure streaming 200mb/s files from lan is not the typical use case for a TV, or any box really...

It's time for fritsch's meme, I guess [emoji14]
Oh, ok then. So sony was thinking into the future when deciding to put a 100Mb/s ethernet controller and not a 1Gb/s, as everybody else. My bad!
No, Sony probably didn't think it was worth to make the TV more expensive for that use case Wink
(2016-11-23, 09:28)Koying Wrote: ...It's time for fritsch's meme, I guess [emoji14]

...Big Grin
(2016-11-23, 11:03)Koying Wrote: No, Sony probably didn't think it was worth to make the TV more expensive for that use case Wink

So they've made it useless for that use case Laugh To be honest, I don't think a 1Gb/s ethernet would have added to much cost these days ( maybe 5 years ago).
Also, from what I understand, even the top versions do not have the gigabit lan, where I believe the cost should not be really an issue.
Sony always finds a way to screw themselves. Just when I was thinking that they've created a decent looking panel with a decent android implementation.
Well, if that's so important to you, return the TV, buy a "dumb" one at a third of the price + a shield and still make a profit

700€ for a 4K Sony Android? At that price, no wonder they'd do some saving on a basically pointless gigabit Wink
(2016-11-23, 12:25)Koying Wrote: Well, if that's so important to you, return the TV, buy a "dumb" one at a third of the price + a shield and still make a profit

700€ for a 4K Sony Android? At that price, no wonder they'd do some saving on a basically pointless gigabit Wink

The whole series is based on a 100Mbit chip, even the top model. Anyway, I still think 1Gbit is not that of a hassel. Thanks for the answers.
(2016-11-23, 12:25)Koying Wrote: Well, if that's so important to you, return the TV, buy a "dumb" one at a third of the price + a shield and still make a profit

You pretty much, pay only for the LCD panel...all other stuff inside those devices, is "free extra"... Image
anyone has problems with 4K content through Kodi?
with some videos I get very choppy intermittent playback, especially when the picture seems "complex" – e.g. I tried the 2160p version of the latest The Grand Tour episode, and when you can see lot of detail, grain, and movement I guess the video data rate goes high... and the playback suffers.
any ideas about how to solve this?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2016) based on Android TV0