QNAP TAS268 and Kodi
QNAP are trying something different, a NAS with Android as well. The TAS268 is a dual bay unit with Android 4.4.4 accessible via built in HDMI https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product/model.php?II=208

I am thinking it could be a decent starter unit for those that want simplicity and minimal boxes and remotes.

Has anyone got one or used one (for more than a test)?

I would like to know if the noise from the fan is as bad as described...Sad I have watched plenty of youtube reviews etc and they say so, but no one actually demonstrates the problem...

Spec says 4K and h265 !!

Cheers
From July 2nd blog post

Quote:Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum

Over the years the Android platform started to mature and catch up to the other platforms regarding capabilities. This also means that we can drop all the custom code we had to add in the beginning to get Kodi running at all as that’s now becoming obsolete. One of those from back in the days was libStageFright which we dropped in a previous release and was replaced by the standard MediaCodec from Android. With v17 we have started to clean up all the old implementations which sadly also means we had to set the minimum Android version to at least 5.0 Lollipop. It’s uncertain at this time if we even hove to go higher and set minimum to Android 6.0 Marshmallow as this contains certain features we need to improve Kodi. For now you are safe if you at least have Android 5.0 Don’t worry you can keep using Kodi v16 on all previous Android versions however you just can upgrade to a newer Kodi version.

https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-alpha-2/
Hmmm, could be a show stopper, BUT, I take it I could use previous versions as indicated? This would be a single instance install, no updates needed type of thing.

I am looking at this from a point of view of function and cost, new installs tend to need some kind of NAS for central storage, and then you need to look at a player and despite cheap units like the pi and odroid etc, this unit can provide both at significantly lower cost, AND requires the least real estate and power needs.

I know it is a compromise, but the next level of units are 50% more on cost.

And TBH I still run XBMC on my original xbox machines and other than HD stuff, they rock Smile as does KODI

Cheers
Do you not have an Ethernet port on your router where you could connect a HDD to?

Sent from my XT1254
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Not sure what you mean?

The scenario is for those users that currently have NO kodi, and use USB/stick/drive loaded with content plugged into the 'smart' TV or cd/dvd through a BR player to same TV

This is a single source unit with KODI (under Android) as the qnap version isn't available, has it's own remote and can have 1 - 16 TB of disk storage connected via onboard HDMI

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QNAP TAS268 and Kodi0