HOW-TO: Build XBMC for Win32 in VC++ Express Edition
Freemem is enabled when you build debug. Build release.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks i'll try that another thing how can when i build one the file is 16mb when
rev13239 or other is only 8mb.
The same reason: Debug (large) versus release (small).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

If i want to compile entirre build not just XBMC.EXE what to do.

Thanks TT
run XBMC\build.bat
Smile 
Hello,

Just wanted to say my first build of xbmc.exe only went pretty smoothly today, didn't see the build scripts till now so I copied things manually and mounted Q drive after seeing what was falling over. Only took a couple of mins to get it going which was a pleasent surprise.

I added /MP4 to the command line which speeds compile up a fair bit, this starts 4 compilation threads which works well for dual and quad cores if any one cares.

Mike
I decided to try out building XBMC myself using VC++ Express, but it's not working out.
Bare in mind that I never compiled a thing in my life so I don't fully realize what I'm doing Big Grin
I went through the steps in the Wiki several times, got everything I need, setup VC, etc.
The building process starts end eventually VS gives me a fatal error:

Code:
4>Linking...
4>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\guilib\debug (sdl)\guilib.lib'
4>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Jeroen.STELLAR\Desktop\XBMC BUILDING\tools\Win32\Debug (SDL)\BuildLog.htm"
4>XBMC_PC - 1 error(s), 3984 warning(s)
========== Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I've looked for the obviously missing guilib.lib, yet assuming I know where to look I can't locate it in the svn dirs.

So anyway I would like some help :o Would providing the full buildlog be of any help? Anything else I should/can do?
guilib is a seperate project that's included in the solution and should build when xbmc starts building. You could try just building this project by right clicking on the guilib project in the solution explorer and pressing rebuild. This might narrow down the problem.

I'm not familiar with the Express edition of VS so things might be slightly different.

I'm a total noob here with xbmc so I'm probably not going to be very helpfull and might be giving bad advice!
my4keys82 Wrote:guilib is a seperate project that's included in the solution and should build when xbmc starts building. You could try just building this project by right clicking on the guilib project in the solution explorer and pressing rebuild. This might narrow down the problem.

I'm not familiar with the Express edition of VS so things might be slightly different.

I'm a total noob here with xbmc so I'm probably not going to be very helpfull and might be giving bad advice!

I tried that and ran into another obstacle:
Code:
1>Generating Code...
1>Creating library...
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'DSound.lib'
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Jeroen.STELLAR\Desktop\XBMC BUILDING\guilib\Debug (SDL)\BuildLog.htm"
1>guilib - 1 error(s), 570 warning(s)
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I checked the installation of the DirectX SDK and noticed that DSound.lib resides in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (December 2006)\Lib\x86
while the wiki did not mention an x86 subdirectory. Pretty logical, but being able to narrow it down is needed to find the problem.
And that's what your advice did, it compiled with no errors, so thank you Big Grin

Now see if it works Smile
edit: it does, excellent Smile
Jeroen Wrote:I checked the installation of the DirectX SDK and noticed that DSound.lib resides in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (December 2006)\Lib\x86
while the wiki did not mention an x86 subdirectory.
That's because you got December 2006 while the wiki are instructions (and link) for Summer 2004, the 2 sdk's use different directories. Glad you got it going Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I just checked because I could have sworn I read 2004 or later, but now I see that was for the skinning tool :o Reading can be difficult sometimes Wink

My build's working pretty good, apart from plugins not working and xbmc not going fullscreen even though I set it to fullscreen in the screen settings.
I did a debug and a release build, both the same problems. Are there any additional things I need to do to get plugins working ?
I need some help again Confused

Since the build I compiled turned out not that great I tried to do it again. Unfortunately I'm getting a bunch of fatal errors preventing me from succeeding.

All but XBMC_PC build successfully, it gives me 4 errors:

Code:
C:\Program Files\development\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\stdio.h(483) : see declaration of '_vsnwprintf'
..\..\xbmc\lib\libGoAhead\XBMChttp.cpp(40) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'xbox/XKHDD.h': No such file or directory
XBMCConfiguration.cpp
Code:
C:\Program Files\development\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\stdio.h(483) : see declaration of '_vsnwprintf'
..\..\xbmc\xbox\IoSupport.cpp(37) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ntddcdrm.h': No such file or directory
Code:
..\..\xbmc\GUIWindowBuddies.cpp(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'xbox/xbeheader.h': No such file or directory
GUIViewStateScripts.cpp
Code:
C:\Program Files\development\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\stdio.h(358) : see declaration of '_snprintf'
XBTimeZone.cpp
c1xx : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '..\..\xbmc\XBTimeZone.cpp': No such file or directory
At least 2 of them seem to be xbox related. Should these even be required? I have the build type set to Release SDL Win32
I updated from SVN, cleaned and rebuild several times already. I have not changed a thing in the project settings. Anybody able to give me a pointer as to what I am doing wrong?
There's at the moment some clean work ongoing to get rid of the xbox specific code. Unfortunately it may break the ports and will not be immediately fixed.
You can try to remove the cpp file from project (because it's deleted) and to uncomment the includes. Afterwards press thumbs that nothing out of the files was needed Wink
fixed in svn. Update and you should be able to build.
Ah, that explains a lot Big Grin
I'm glad it wasn't because of me losing my mind
Thanks a bunch, going to try again Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Build XBMC for Win32 in VC++ Express Edition1