XBMC for Linux success stories :)
Big Grin 
Successfully running xbmc-linux with no errors on:

Motherboard: Intel E210882
cpu: P4 3200mhz
ram: 1024mb
gpu: ASUS GF8600GS

running Ubuntu 7.04, newest nvidia driver from Envy,
took a while to get xorg to stop messing about but is now running at 1920x1080@60hz. Todays XBMC-Linux build plays 100% perfectly without any segfaults or graphical errors/bugs.

HR.HDTV = 6% cpu load
720p x264 = 32% cpu load
1080p x264 = 50% cpu load

//max
what clips did you use for 720p and 1080p? Im trying to find some to test and it would be nice to have a good bench mark clips for each system.
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
I would suggest bittorrent... you can find plenty of HD clips out there in suitable formats for benchmarking...
The clips I have are full-length movies, but I'll try to create a few small clips this week and upload the torrents.
the issue is getting really good clips that are encoded with the right encoder to really test the cpu load ... I know their is h264 and the open source x264 with x264 not having yet all the hooks that h264 has.

but any sort of clips where we could all test them and send in our results with data from our machines we are testing would be cool, this would allow for an area to bench mark different machines and what works or could be found as the minimum spec for a lmc
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
Running XBMC-Linuix:

Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core2Duo 1.83
Ram: 2048
GPU: BFG Tech BFGR7950512GTOCE

Running Ubuntu 7.04, default restricted drivers.
My Xorg worked after the nVidia drivers were installed.
I need to more testing with Audio, I switched from using ALSA but a friend gave me a tip about my ALSA error.

HR.HDTV = 6% CPU load
720p x264 = No testing
1080p x264 = No testing
1080p H.264 = 20% CPU load

Most memory I saw used was about 256m

-Reg
I just have this short simple question, before installing linux Tongue

Does the rar-support work yet?
Quote:Does the rar-support work yet?
Yes it does! I am streaming rar packed HDTV over samba shares Smile
hello again, sorry for this stupid question, but all my linux-experience have been debian-console Tongue

I got the mediacenter working just fine...
problem is playing a 720p file uses 100% cpu and it has a fps of ~5

I have a 3 ghz cpu, 2gb ram, and a radeon 9600 video-card...

So I guess my issue is that I lack ati-drivers?

any easy howto for this? I installed ubuntu 7.04

thnx again! Smile
I am not sure if this works but it was listed on UbuntuGuide.org as the source of knowledge.
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...tion_Guide

I think there is a post about using Envy as well, I have never used it but I know it works to make installing drivers simple.

-Reg
Reginald Wrote:I am not sure if this works but it was listed on UbuntuGuide.org as the source of knowledge.
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...tion_Guide

I think there is a post about using Envy as well, I have never used it but I know it works to make installing drivers simple.

-Reg

I tried to install the ATI-drivers but still no luck..
depending on how I change things around in /etx/X11/xorg.conf I either get:
A. ~2fps when I start XBMC, everything goes really slow
B. Nice speed in XBMC, but the app crashes when I click a movie file Tongue

since I saw both guys in the thread were using nvidia-cards, I just threw out my 9600 and replaced with a nvidiacard instead... gonna do a full reinstall now...

soo close, but so far away Sad
NVidia has been friendly with Linux for a while now, ATI is starting to become more so now that AMD purchased them. I have heard they are going to be releasing drivers soon. (they may have already)

Well I hope it works out better for you!

Reg

P.S. I played the new Fantastic 4 movie, this was encoded in HandBreak with options that make a P4 crash, (granted since XBMC for Linux is still beta, so did XBMC) but it used about 45% of my proc and only 140m of RAM and a steady 24fps. It was crystal clear. I can't wait for the h.264 support to mature a bit more. Big Grin
baaaas Wrote:I tried to install the ATI-drivers but still no luck..
depending on how I change things around in /etx/X11/xorg.conf I either get:
A. ~2fps when I start XBMC, everything goes really slow
B. Nice speed in XBMC, but the app crashes when I click a movie file Tongue

since I saw both guys in the thread were using nvidia-cards, I just threw out my 9600 and replaced with a nvidiacard instead... gonna do a full reinstall now...

soo close, but so far away Sad

Make sure you use direct rendering.
I had this problem and it was using inderect.
I reinstalled the ATI driver twice with Envy and it worked for me.
Another success story from me.

XboxMediaCenter linuxport svn rev 10482

Running perfectly on a Shuttle SG33G5M (review) with the bundled remote control and the onboard Intel GMA 3100 graphics chip. Linux version used is the beta of Ubuntu 7.10.

Big thanks to the entire development team!! Looking forward to all the improvements to come. I really did not expect anything usuable this fast after the announcement of the project.
Have you tested any HD content with this shuttle box? I'd like to know how the Intel GPU handles 1080p (if at all).

Cheers,
runstop

Redhound Wrote:Another success story from me.

XboxMediaCenter linuxport svn rev 10482

Running perfectly on a Shuttle SG33G5M (review) with the bundled remote control and the onboard Intel GMA 3100 graphics chip. Linux version used is the beta of Ubuntu 7.10.

Big thanks to the entire development team!! Looking forward to all the improvements to come. I really did not expect anything usuable this fast after the announcement of the project.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux success stories :)1