• 2(current)
XBMC for Linux success stories :)
Hi runstop,

Yes I have tested with both 720p and 1080p x264 files and they played smooth without any problems. The Intel graphics chip is pretty good and also supports compiz and stuff.
Does it support 1080p24? Can't find any info on this
Anyone managed to get DD sound or DTS sound?
Has anyone tried running LXBMC on an ATI videocard/AMD chipset? I'm looking at a barebones kit that uses the AMD 690 chipset but I wanted to check in before pulling the trigger. Check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856171002
That kit from Hiper has everything you need for a media center including a remote, HDMI and a whole host of connections.
ATI is the worst supported card in linux from what I hear
Just because of that Smile

Clean compile on Ubuntu 7.0 with radeon 9600. About 60fps
Jezz_X Wrote:ATI is the worst supported card in linux from what I hear

Yea depending on the card the extent of run around to get everything working is pretty involved. I remember trying to get full support for my 9600pro way back when took a few nights of hair pulling and tower kicking to get working. I've moved to NVidia since so I am unsure of ATi's current state in the *nix world.
ATI support for linux has come on quite a bit recently.

there are some guides on the ubuntu forums for getting just about any ATI card working pretty much perfectly. they aren't quite point and click, but if you can manage 5 or 6 copy/paste actions you'll be laughing (and not hysterically whilst pulling your hair out like you would have been previously). Smile
I too am looking at building a HTPC as a replacement for my xbox.

Can I ask those people that already have XBMC for Linux running at 720p a question? How do you get the correct resolution set on your graphics cards and how are you connecting to the LCD/Plasma/Projector?
Most graphics cards seem to have DVI (a few have HDMI), are you using DVI to HDMI adapters? Do you connect from DVI on the graphics card to VGA on the TV?
Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.
johnnygal I've done all vga and hdmi to dvi adapter and straight hdmi. Really it just depends on what your tv/projector supports
As for how you set the correct rez its an option in settings like the xbox version
I have XBMC running nicely on my HTPC at 720p. I just set it up yesterday. It connects to my HDTV(JVC rear projection) via a DVI-to-HDMI cable. The video card is an Nvidia 7300GS.

I started by installing Mythbuntu 7.10, which detected the TV and configured xorg to work at 720p. Then I installed the necessary dev packages and compiled XBMC and it worked perfectly. The only thing I had to setup was my streamzap in XMBC's lirc xml file. Mythbuntu takes care of setting up the main linux lirc conf file.

Also, all the sound, stereo and AC3 passthrough, worked without any configuration.

Over all, I am extreamely happy. I had been waiting for the day I can play HD files with XBMC.

-Bryan
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Just been looking at my LCD specs and it only supports SVGA/XVGA over the VGA input and not 1:1 pixel mapping.
So I am certainly looking to use the HDMI port.

Good to hear Bryan that you have your setup up and working using a DVI-HDMI cable. I may buy a cable and try initially on my current PC before splashing out on all the HTPC components.

Jezz_X, will it matter which graphics card you have whether you can select 1280x720 or will Linux/XBMC override this anyway? I assume all modern cards will do this?

Bryan, I have been considering the nvidia 8600gts (toying with the idea of having enough ummpph to play games also!). Can I ask what system specs you have to run 720p smotthly i.e. motherboard, cpu, ram.

Thanks again.
Here are my machine's specs:
- Antec Fusion Case
- Motherboard: ASUS A8N-VM CSM
- CPU: AMD X2 4400+ w/ Zalman CNPS8000 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
- RAM: 1GB
- Hard Drive: 400GB Seagate SATA
- SATA DVD ROM Drive.

I built the machine about a year ago had been using it as a MythTV Frontend, but the Myth Video interface is crap when you are used to XBMC.
Thanks Bryan.
Yep, the frontend of XBMC is great. I record using a nebula DVB-T card in my Server box and stream the recordings using XBMC.

I currently have the fusion box on my list too (V2 with 430E PSU) and was thinking about a AMD X2 BE-variant (45W) with a Thermalright SI-128 cpu cooler. I really want to keep noise level to an inaudible level (the 8600gts I am thinking of is passively cooled)

How do you find the noise levels on the Fusion box (is it a V2 with the 430E PSU) and cpu cooler?

Thanks,
John
Basically my LCD TV just works as a monitor. I plug it into my linux box it detects the resolutions it can display and then I set the desktop res to what I want (currently 1280x768) I did have it at 1360x768 but there is a floating point issue in the code currently that makes labels scroll in file lists when the don't have too at that resolution. Then I go and set XBMC res settings to (Desktop) and it fills the whole screen at that rez.

So what I'm getting at is it really depends on what your TV can handle as input from various connections and I guess what the graphics card can output on them as well
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux success stories :)1