Different thumbnails for different views (banners vs. posters), support using both?
because we need to store the scraper data somewhere (namely in the database)? and if you had a look at that change you'd see it wasnt exactly a large change.. you dont want to see the results of parsing the xml all the time, it would make everything crawl.
michal Wrote:How many skin authors do you see submitting patches for the scraper at the moment? And how likely would it be for you to be accepting dozens of patches (which included the need for more fields in the library database)?

From my experience they're very open to accepting patches as long as they make sense and are done well. I think the bigger question is how many skin authors would rather develop their own scrapers instead of leaving it up to XBMC. I'd venture very few of them. It just doesn't make sense. Let's say djh leaves and stops updating Aeon. 3 months from now we get music fan art capability. You want to wait until djh happens to return to be able to get that feature? That makes no sense at all. It's far better having XBMC handle it for everything, especially when spiff has been more than willing to update it on a regular basis.
commited the PURE XML scraper change to prefer posters. take that michael!Tongue
Quote:...perhaps a choice of default.jpg and default-wide.jpg, and maybe even default-tall.jpg. That way, you could differentiate between the square shaped ones, the tall, dvd case shaped ones, and the wide ones.

This thread seems to have digressed from its original topic, but I too would like simultaneously having two or three thumbs.
so do something about it - patch welcome
Indeed - a patch would be most welcome. I'm more than happy to give directions through the code, as are any devs.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, so I downloaded the source file, took a look around, and... my respect for you guys just doubled. Good god there is a lot to look through, and it doesn't help that my only programming exposure is light php & xbmc-specific python. c++ is clearly a whole different beast.

Because of my total lack of knowledge around the code, I doubt I'll be able to get anything done, but maybe just MAYBE I'll learn something while trying.

Would either of you devs like to point me in the right direct of which files I'll need to be going through to achieve something like this? Obv the database & thumbs & some of the gui views stuff, but, I'm hoping for something more specific.

Also if anyone has any c++ tutorial/learning sites they could recommend that would be great too.
Certainly - I'd hate to get dumped into our code at this point - it was tricky enough when I started, and there was far less code back then!

The thumb setting/caching stuff is done mainly in CFileItem::SetUserVideoThumb() and CFileItem::SetCachedVideoThumb() + it's miscellaneous routines (such as GetFileTBN() etc.)

The idea is you'd have to be able to set + get an alternate version, caching it differently.

In the SetCachedVideoThumb() you'd then set the normal thumb and set the alternate thumbs in a property (SetProperty("name_of_property", "value_to_set")).

Skinners could then retrieve the property and display that if it suits them better.

Have a read through the CFileItem routines and then feel free to ask any specific questions.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yes this would be an awesome feature for all of us that
try out so many different skins. For example, Aeon looks
great for Movies or anything with Posters but with wide
icons for TV Shows, there is a LOT of wasted real estate.

Boy i wish i had continued learning programming... As it
stands, i could help if XBMC was programmed in Turbo
Pascal Laugh

Hope someone does take on this feature request.

Where do i send the Paypal to? Wink
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
Lightbulb 
Hi, I thought it would be nice to have icons for (multiple) views. e.g. each folder can have more than 1 picture attached to it, so the picture is chosen based on selected view.

*if you can do this already then i just owned myself* Sad

i would have searched more but it took me like 20 attempts to enter the varification image, only 3 sucesses. by then i was like cbaOo
Thats a good idea...any one know if this can be done?
this option doesn't currently exist, but it's a great idea

something like

movie-wide.tbn
<filename>-wide.tbn

Maybe this would be a good time to add support for hi-resolution images as well
movie-big.tbn
<filename>-big.tbn

(and for tvshows as well for the show image)

be a great feature request
Quote:movie-wide.tbn
<filename>-wide.tbn
yea... aw well im glad you guys agree. ive only been using icons for the last couple hours so wasn't too sure. it all looks so much better now. but yeh, multi-icons Image
In addition to banners and posters, there is an idea to have third size for TV Shows 16:9 thumbs as seen in Aeon Stark. Being able to switch views and have the skin use banner or poster automatically would be awesome. And given that there is a third possible image format in Aeon it seems the time is right to bring this feature on. Who will take on the challenge and be the hero? Big Grin Smile

Question 
Hey, I have a little problem: As some skins use banners, and others posters I always have to replace the files when switching skins... So how about having support for both simultaniously? For example a banner.jpg and a poster.jpg?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Different thumbnails for different views (banners vs. posters), support using both?2