PlayStation3 (PS3) bluetooth remote and LIRC?
My problem was apparently that the batteries drain due to that the remote keeps being connected unless you disconnect it with the PS-button. However, the ps3remote.py script does not recognize that the remote has shut down, and the only way to recover is to restart ps3remote.py.

I gather that ps3d.py is supposed to remedy this, but it doesn't even register the remote, paired or not.

I see now that the remote does indeed generate BT events when not paired. :o
Is there anyone having the BD remote working correctly? Meaning:
  • Remote control needs to be paired at most once after (re)boot
  • Remote's batteries aren't drowned when not used
  • Remote doesn't "crash" so I have to remove the batteries
I tried bdremoted, but nothing. Starts up, LIRCd connects to it, irw displays nothing. Also tried to stop bluetoothd before, with and without hidd enabled and some more stuff I found at the Ubuntu forums.

Using EventClient from XBMC with ps3_remote.py gets it going but it's very unstable. It disconnects after 3-10 minutes (while using it), where I can only reactivate it by removing a battery and pairing it again (same issue as pilophae). Sometimes it lasts longer but in any case, the next day I have to pair again, which is pretty painful (pressing Start+OK for FIVE seconds, WTH!).

And I had no success with ps3d.py either. I'm still not really sure what it's supposed to do though (see my last post).

pilophae, do you have it working now? Does anyone else have similar experiences? I love the reaction time and the smoothness even when wandering around, but like this it's not very satisfactory. Any hints appreciated!

Cheers,
-freezy.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
freezy: It works for as long as the batteries last, and I don't disconnect it with the PS button. I am using ps3_remote.py.

Since ps3d.py listens to the unpaired traffic generated by the remote, it should work in theory, but it doesn't seem to register any traffic at all for me.
Do you use an usb dongle to connect with your remote? Maybe you are affacted by the new btusb driver which replaced hci_usb since 2.6.27. Please check dmesg while you connect to your remote.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...mments=all
Hi,

If you are interested, I have made a guide to setup the PS3 remote using LIRC without need to pair it every reboot

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50717

J.
@pakojones: I don't have an issue with pairing (anymore), it's the power saving feature of the remote that does not work with the Event Server script.

Also, do you have to run the applet to have Blueman automatically pair your remote, or is there some kind of shell alternative?

@bluey: I'm not affected by that bug.
Have the same thing here, runnign XBMC Live 9.04.1

Running this works, I can pair the remote and everything
python /home/xbmc/EventClients/Clients/PS3\ BD\ Remote/ps3_remote.py localhost &> /etc/init.d/start_remote.log

Then I press ctrl-c and run this (as root):
python /home/xbmc/EventClients/Clients/PS3\ Sixaxis\ Controller/ps3d.py 00:21:4F:B1:1A:80 localhost &> /etc/init.d/start_remote.log
Nothing happens

After pressing ctrl-c the log file looks like this:
Connecting to Bluetooth device: 00:21:4F:B1:1A:80
Connecting to : localhost
Starting HID daemon
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/xbmc/EventClients/Clients/PS3 Sixaxis Controller/ps3d.py", line 420, in <module>
main()
File "/home/xbmc/EventClients/Clients/PS3 Sixaxis Controller/ps3d.py", line 416, in main
start_hidd(bdaddr, ipaddr)
File "/home/xbmc/EventClients/Clients/PS3 Sixaxis Controller/ps3d.py", line 357, in start_hidd
if hid.listen():
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/xbmc/bt/hid.py", line 32, in listen
(self.client_csock, self.caddress) = self.csock.accept()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 129, in accept
client, addr = self._sock.accept ()
KeyboardInterrupt

am I doing somehting wrong here?
@Zapa: What are you trying to do? Without knowing what you expect to be right, we can't answer you about what is wrong.

Also, do NOT write program output to any file in /etc, EVER. /var/log or /tmp are more suitable locations for logging.
Im trying to use the PS3 remote without pairing after reboot, thats how I understood using ps3d.py would work.

I can pair the remote using ps3_remote, and control XBMC, then I press ctrl-c to exit the ps3_remote thread and run ps3d.
Then I would expect the ps3d script to work just like the ps3_remote (without having to pair again)

When this works, I will put the ps3d into the .sh file (like danillll wrote in post 21) so, the remote is usable without pairing or manuel start after reboot.

Will move the logs to /tmp, being newish to these kind of linux operations, /etc seemed as good as any other place Smile thats where the .sh file was placed, so the log was easy to open there

Hope that explains it abit better and thanks for responding Smile
I don't think we have any testimonies of a working ps3d.py for the remote. Closing the ps3_remote.py script will definitely disconnect the remote from the Bluetooth stack, so it seems meaningless to start it and stop it before ps3d.py since it does not change the hardware status.

If your batteries last your entire session, I find that pressing Start + Enter every once in a while isn't such a hassle.
Yes, it's not that bad to pair after starting, I just haven't given up on the automatic solution yet Smile

The readme mentions that you have to disable existing HID servers, not sure what that is though, I haven't disabled anything...

It also mentions, that for the ps3 controller, you have to use sixaxis.c for pairing, after that ps3d.py should work here aswell, think I will test that when I get home
There are also signs of life when looking in the repository ps3d.py was updated a month ago, with comments about "PS3 BluRay
remote"
This is with the original bluetooth init.d script disabled to start bdremote before hcid and lircd. hcid modprobes rfcomm for you.

log_daemon_msg "Starting Bluetooth Remote HID"
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/bdremoted -- -p 8888 -a 00:19:C1:5A:F1:3F -t 3
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/hcid -- -x -s
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/lircd -- -H null --connect 127.0.0.1:8888

Edit /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf to your liking (eg, disable iscan, pscan enabled, change pin etc)

Remember to pair it once
hidd --connect 00:19:C1:5A:F1:3F

If needed add this to /etc/modprobe.d/options
options hci_usb reset=1
I am about to buy this remote, but there seem to be these two very
imporant issues still standing.
As in

- reboot = need to re-"pair"
- battery drain = cause of no time-out

is it fixable?
well, I gave up, and got myself a MCE remote instead which worked out of the box

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PlayStation3 (PS3) bluetooth remote and LIRC?0