• 12(current)
New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion
@mike - Sorry, but I don't agree at all. Rob has written several add-ons that are used by many people and trashing his support threads again now looks like a personal vendetta and nothing to do with any 'rules'.

How does this help the wider Kodi community ? Support threads are just that - they don't break any rules as far as I can tell and binning them is, quite frankly, pure nonsense. How will people get support for Robs add-ons while this continues ?

@ned - the sooner you get this repo off the ground, the better I think.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Why is that I knew it would be you to post back first Tongue

You do not know anybody made it personal and saying you do is part of the problem cause then why can't I say he made it personal by removing all non-offending add-ons from the repo?

Why is your opinion of what is going on in the minds of others less accurate than my own?
(2016-09-22, 06:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Get real, man. We're adults here who do what we want with our time.
You seem to have a grudge against certain persons and I, myself, have noticed that some individuals can be "dickish" with their responses but "Get real, man. We're adults here who do what we want with our time." sometimes that is acting out against others like your recent tirade against Kib. Happens to us all, am I right? Wink

@black_eagle I respect your opinion but how does writing several add-ons that are popular show that he followed the rules? We seem to be talking a chicken and the egg situation so I will just reiterate my "OPINION" that I doubt if he had not removed all his add-ons regardless of whatever the reason is, was, or happens to be. None of this would have gone down this way.

Like I said... It is pretty easy to prove me wrong and all of this feels like a silly fight the system argument with no point since the purpose of all of this is to provide free and open source software for all. Who gives a shit if some of those involved want to do things there way. I am sure if any of you had your way you would also make some choices that others were not to fond of.

I will clarify that I never said that this wasn't intentional or personal but to think one side is more culpable than the other is just more tribal take a side bull stinky.

Anyway... I am sure I will drink too much booze again and feel the need to say my opinion but for now... I am done Cool
(2016-10-02, 10:10)mikeSiLVO Wrote: so I will just reiterate my "OPINION" that I doubt if he had not removed all his add-ons regardless of whatever the reason is, was, or happens to be. None of this would have gone down this way.

So in your opinion this whole debacle was because robwebset removed all of his addons from the official repo? Nod But surely the owner of any addon has the right to host there own addons!
Being pissed off at bad behavior is not a "grudge", mike. I have a better idea of what is going on because I have been involved with the damn project longer, worked along side these people, and have even met most of them in person (though, honestly, none of that should matter. It's pretty damn obvious what is going on). I know what the hell I'm talking about. This isn't even the first time something like this has happened. Please, just stop. We don't need some armchair internet critic who thinks he knows better about the situation. You have no basis to marginalize the situation. How can I make that any clearer?
(2016-10-02, 10:23)Ned Scott Wrote: Being pissed off at bad behavior is not a "grudge", mike. I have a better idea of what is going on because I have been involved with the damn project longer, worked along side these people, and have even met most of them in person (though, honestly, none of that should matter. It's pretty damn obvious what is going on). I know what the hell I'm talking about. This isn't even the first time something like this has happened. Please, just stop. We don't need some armchair internet critic who thinks he knows better about the situation. You have no basis to marginalize the situation. How can I make that any clearer?

Actually... being pissed of at bad behavior is a grudge when you follow that up with statements like this "I have a better idea of what is going on because I have been involved with the damn project longer". That is exactly what a grudge looks like there smart guy Wink

Gloves Off:

What exactly is your goal with all of your horseshit? Obviously bitching about everything isn't a solution. Are you just one of those people that likes to complain about things? You have no basis to exacerbate the situation. How can I make that any clearer?

Armchair internet critic... All I see from you is a disgruntled former "employee" who lashes out against anyone who disagrees with the way you see things.

Don't know why you felt the need to be demeaning but I don't take shit from anybody especially some low rent, angry, one step above internet troll with nothing better to do than be part of the problem.
I am not involved with the project, forum, wiki.... and I must say, this is THE MOST unfriendly place I have ever seen. A "North Korea" among forums... this place is all abut intrigues and moderators behave like dictators...
(2016-10-02, 11:06)DaLanik Wrote: I am not involved with the project, forum, wiki.... and I must say, this is THE MOST unfriendly place I have ever seen. A "North Korea" among forums... this place is all abut intrigues and moderators behave like dictators...

+1

My thoughts exactly when I signed in this morning.
(2016-10-02, 10:53)mikeSiLVO Wrote: Actually... being pissed of at bad behavior is a grudge when you follow that up with statements like this "I have a better idea of what is going on because I have been involved with the damn project longer". That is exactly what a grudge looks like there smart guy Wink

So you're saying that because I know someone personally, when you don't, that any criticism of that person is a grudge? You asked why I knew better about the situation than you, and I answered. If you want to twist that around to fit your pretty rainbow world, where the only answer is that I'm an internet troll and ronie can do no wrong, then so be it.

Quote:What exactly is your goal with all of your horseshit? Obviously bitching about everything isn't a solution. Are you just one of those people that likes to complain about things? You have no basis to exacerbate the situation. How can I make that any clearer?

My horseshit? The only thing you've done in this thread is belittle and marginalize the situation. You want to believe in some world were all sides are equally wrong, to what end? Are you going to eat your shit when we prove you wrong, again and again, that ronie is just moving goalposts? That this has nothing to do with following rules?

My goal with this "horseshit" is to find a middleground. To make an add-on repo that is allowed to be discussed on the Kodi forums, for add-ons that can't be in the Kodi.tv repo (for one reason or another). Thanks for calling that horseshit.

If someone ever gives you undeserved attacks, deletes your work, and pushes you around, and you hope someone stands up for you and all the hard work you've put into the community, maybe there will still be people around to speak up for you.

I'm sorry if you think that "exacerbates" the situation. That's one way to look at it. Like people who exacerbate a situation by stopping someone else from beating a man to death. Or maybe the fact that people are justifiably angry is what you think "exacerbates" the situation. I don't know. I don't really care. Please just stop posting in this thread. This thread is about trying to find a solution that doesn't divide the community, while at the same time being realistic about the situation.
(2016-10-02, 10:10)mikeSiLVO Wrote: @black_eagle I respect your opinion but how does writing several add-ons that are popular show that he followed the rules? We seem to be talking a chicken and the egg situation so I will just reiterate my "OPINION" that I doubt if he had not removed all his add-ons regardless of whatever the reason is, was, or happens to be. None of this would have gone down this way.

OK, this is totally off-topic for this thread (I apologise to all those who are actually trying to get this new repo off the ground) but I feel that I have to respond to this.

Firstly, writing several add-ons does not show that Rob 'followed the rules'. However, if you have actually followed what happened, Rob 'followed the rules' by bringing to attention the fact that there was a module in the official repository that no add-on depended on. According to 'the rules' this should be removed. However, Rob was told that rather than hosting his own updated version of it, he should update the one in the official repo (regardless of no add-on referencing it) and that this was his only option. Rob (as far as I can see) did nothing wrong apart from possibly causing an issue by bundling an updated version of the module with one of his add-ons (not that it was an issue because nothing else depended on that module anyway!!). He then re-named the module so it couldn't cause an issue.

Secondly, a Kodi team member removed ALL of Rob's support threads, originally because of the hosting of a module that potentially could have caused an issue with other add-ons (not that this was likely, as no add-ons in the offical repo were referencing it anyway, but I can understand the teams view that potentially it could cause an issue).

Rob re-created all his threads again (this forum is for support isn't it?) and then gets them all binned for what reason ?

Finally, they are Rob's add-ons. It's his code. He is free to host them where and how he wants, or at least, he should be. Team Kodi can't make him write the code or release it to the public, he does that because he wants to give something to the wider community. If he chooses to add or remove his code from the official repo, then that's his choice. Nobody should be able to dictate what or where his code is hosted other than himself.

For me, this whole thing doesn't reflect well on certain team members and it makes me wonder if I really want to be a part of this community right now. I don't see that Rob's threads broke any rules, but they were trashed anyway. That makes me wonder if other add-on writers might be subject to the same treatment. I understand the rules and I have no problem with them. What I do have a problem with is the suppression of free speech and the dictatorial way that certain team members are apparently behaving right now.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-10-02, 10:10)mikeSiLVO Wrote: You do not know anybody made it personal and saying you do is part of the problem cause then why can't I say he made it personal by removing all non-offending add-ons from the repo?
You make it sound as if you think that would be okay.
(2016-10-02, 11:15)Ned Scott Wrote: So you're saying that because I know someone personally, when you don't, that any criticism of that person is a grudge? You asked why I knew better about the situation than you, and I answered. If you want to twist that around to fit your pretty rainbow world, where the only answer is that I'm an internet troll and ronie can do no wrong, then so be it.
I didn't really want to know why you think you know better, it was more of a rhetorical question Wink No one knows what someone else is thinking.

There you go again bringing ronie into this. I am talking about you. I didn't mention anything about ronie doing no wrong. I have to admit though, the way you speak about him, I am picturing ronie kicking your dog or slapping you in the face while your family members looked on... That would be grudge worthy.

Also it seems to me that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of language and what certain words mean.
Grudge
noun
a feeling of ill will or resentment:

In my pretty little rainbow world I am finishing watching Luke Cage instead of going tit for tat with the likes of you...
(2016-10-02, 11:15)Ned Scott Wrote: My horseshit? The only thing you've done in this thread is belittle and marginalize the situation. You want to believe in some world were all sides are equally wrong, to what end? Are you going to eat your shit when we prove you wrong, again and again, that ronie is just moving goalposts? That this has nothing to do with following rules?

My goal with this "horseshit" is to find a middleground. To make an add-on repo that is allowed to be discussed on the Kodi forums, for add-ons that can't be in the Kodi.tv repo (for one reason or another). Thanks for calling that horseshit.

If someone ever gives you undeserved attacks, deletes your work, and pushes you around, and you hope someone stands up for you and all the hard work you've put into the community, maybe there will still be people around to speak up for you.

I'm sorry if you think that "exacerbates" the situation. That's one way to look at it. Like people who exacerbate a situation by stopping someone else from beating a man to death. Or maybe the fact that people are justifiably angry is what you think "exacerbates" the situation. I don't know. I don't really care. Please just stop posting in this thread. This thread is about trying to find a solution that doesn't divide the community, while at the same time being realistic about the situation.
The only thing I have tried to do is to get all parties to move on. If that means marginalizing something as trivial as this then so be it. You are not curing cancer or saving a life. Yeah, sure I will "eat my shit" whatever that means...

I was not calling the repo horseshit. Not sure who you are used to conversing with but your piss-poor equivalency doesn't work on me. Beating = Thread bin... You must be joking. I guess that would be a shining example of being realistic, huh?

Quote:If someone ever gives you undeserved attacks
You mean like you have just recently done to me? I am an adult, I do not need anyone to "stick" up for me. That is a trait I learned on the playground. Along with "when a bully pushes you push back" but I also learned about compromise and not acting out cause someone took my toy away.

By your "horseshit" I meant your responses and attitude toward those you disagree with.

No need to try and use your "detective" skills to interpret what I mean. IMHO you do not seem to very good at it.

You are exacerbating the anger and causing more of a divisive attitude amongst users so maybe you should heed your own advice? I will make a deal with you. I stay out of this thread and any others like it if you do, agreed?
(2016-10-02, 12:30)mikeSiLVO Wrote: I will make a deal with you. I stay out of this thread and any others like it if you do, agreed?
Seriously? This is Ned Scott's thread.
(2016-10-02, 12:30)mikeSiLVO Wrote: You are exacerbating the anger and causing more of a divisive attitude amongst users so maybe you should heed your own advice?

I'm going to ignore the part where you seem to think it's okay to insult and belittle everyone else, but where it's apparently not okay to get mad and insult you. I'm just going to respond to this part:

The anger and divisiveness that you see is the direct result of the situation itself. Don't mistake visibility for exacerbation. It exists even if we never acknowledge it on the forums. There's actually a lot more anger that has never been acknowledge on the forums, including about the people we're talking about here. There's actually multiple people who have been "ran off" the Kodi project by certain individuals. The only thing stopping me from saying anything about their specific situations is that they asked me not to.

People have a right to be upset about this. Otherwise, everyone will just assume that nothing bad happened, that no wrong was done. Otherwise, nothing will change. They're not upset to get back at anyone. They're not upset because they're a former employee or some because of some past dispute. They're upset because of what is happening here and now.
(2016-10-02, 12:48)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm going to ignore the part where you seem to think it's okay to insult and belittle everyone else, but where it's apparently not okay to get mad and insult you. I'm just going to respond to this part:

The anger and divisiveness that you see is the direct result of the situation itself. Don't mistake visibility for exacerbation. It exists even if we never acknowledge it on the forums. There's actually a lot more anger that has never been acknowledge on the forums, including about the people we're talking about here. There's actually multiple people who have been "ran off" the Kodi project by certain individuals. The only thing stopping me from saying anything about their specific situations is that they asked me not to.

People have a right to be upset about this. Otherwise, everyone will just assume that nothing bad happened, that no wrong was done. Otherwise, nothing will change. They're not upset to get back at anyone. They're not upset because they're a former employee or some because of some past dispute. They're upset because of what is happening here and now.
I do not think it is OK to belittle anyone and if your responses had not turned to the dark side then nether would mine. This is a good example of what my point is. You got mad and took it out on me then I got mad and took it out on you. Who is right and who is wrong?
We are both wrong and the only thing that matters is moving on. We have very different opinions on how to go about that.

Right now things seem way to explosive for anything good to come from it so what I am saying is maybe everyone should turn down some of the rhetoric. I don't think getting things off your chest will illicit the response or changes that anyone desires.
Okay, yeah, you got me there. I can see your point of view. I did jump on you pretty easily.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion6