Optical (TosLink) Audio output mod?
Question 
Can anyone confirm if this mod works with XBMC??

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/digital-output.php

CoolI have I nice new digital system and want do blow my brains out with my ac3 dvd rips.. Nod
have no idea, probably should work, its just another way of outputing the audio (instead of buying the better cables with this output on it)
I can confirm that it works.. COAX beats optical any day with less errors Wink
ultrabrutal Wrote:I can confirm that it works.. COAX beats optical any day with less errors Wink
Huh Quite frankly, although i know where you're coming from, and I have the COAX mod, I doubt that the less errors you refer to really make a difference for 99.99% of the population.

And COAX is far more susceptible to electrical interferences if your house has a problematic electrical network (I know because on my Squeezebox it meant being force to switch to optical).

COAX has a great advantage in the cable itself, far more resistant and you have to take far lesser care of it when you move cables around (it makes a difference when you have a complicated setup).
ultrabrutal Wrote:I can confirm that it works.. COAX beats optical any day with less errors Wink

What sort of errorsHuh??

My amp only has one coax and my dvd playing is using that.
I've got two optical spare. So I thought I'd use one of them.
If either produce errors, the audio will cut out completely. It's a compressed stream, after all.

Don't listen to the fud.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I can confirm myself, now, that this mod works...

Did it today... Sounds sweet...
aslar, hehe the knowledge of the errors makes people buy insanly expensive cables. The funniest one are power cables. You have a thousand miles of crappy cable all the way to your wall socket and the last bit of cable with low oxydation and gold and stuff makes a big difference? Nah

jm, that's not correct. AC3 atleast does not cut out on errors (didn't test DTS). Try inserting different bytes in a AC3 file. It will play fine and not mess up like for instance MP3 will. I tried this for fun once and was surprised to not be able to hear any of the many errors I created on purpose.
My fibre cable cost me $6AU... They had them at another shop for $180AU.
Both were 2m and both looked the same to me.

$6 cable sounds sweet..... DTS rip of T2 blew my mind!!!
digital is digital.

It works or it doesnt. COAX is no "better" than optical - if you have sound then it will make no difference.

Audio wont cut out and inserting odd bits of crap will make no difference due to error correction. Digial errors sound like parrots squaaking.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optical (TosLink) Audio output mod?0