Games library (with database), and extend scraper interpeter/engine to include games?
Alright, I just spent the last couple minutes skimming the Scenyx Xport threads, and I have to say, there's some interesting stuff going on over there.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=96

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=633166
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=663137

It looks like they've got working in beta form what we've been talking about on this end for quite some time. A core series of emulators and a synopsis library to take them all and their respective games into account.

How possible do you think it would be to port, almost ironically, all of the Xport ports BACK to the Windows and Linux environments? They are already designed to be used with a controller exclusively. They are integrated enough to be connected, it appears, through a single library interface. Any developers have any ideas on this end? Or, alternately, any developers know Madmab, the developer over there?
Lightbulb 
ok before anyone asks i've searched and i have found a few "launcher" plugins etc but it isn't for what i want.

i just want to add links to games in the games section, specifically for aeon skin as i want to be able to browse thru the games section with all the coolness of having the mad backgrounds for the games i put in there.

is this possible?

just something uncomplicated. like adding the .exe which is in my say games folder on my desktop but have it so it shows up in the games section of the xbmc screen. you click on it from there it runs game, when game exits it goes back to xbmc. (but with having the cool background for it or its no point really, maybe a bit of info about the game etc like it shows in tv shows, movies etc)

if its gonna be to complicated its easier to just exit xbmc to play games and then reopen it. but my goal is to have this setup in the lounge as a dumbed down pc for anyone to sit down and use and not have to ever exit xbmc.

(edit) yes i've read this thread, hoping someone has a workaround to do what im after.
Without using the launcher plugin, the answer is no. There is a separate branch under development for adding launching apps and games, but it is not ready yet.
Hey Guys what happened with this project? did you manage to get anything up and running.

The thread made great reading and I'd love to know more Smile
For more fun reading, follow this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40715

Leo2 is currently developing what sounds like exactly what everyone is looking for. I recommend keeping your comments and questions on this thread, unless you want to actively help with development, but that thread is a good read regardless.
Lightbulb 
Much like we have themoviedb and thetvdb we can start a new scraper for games called thegamedb.Big Grin I think this has been mentioned on the forums but just repeating. I love this idea. and THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK.
Some people wonder if an HTPC is the best place to host games (as opposed to dedicated games console). I, for one, think it definitely is, when you consider the popential processing power of a PC. I always sigh when i have to close xbmc so i can launch a game. I think the spirit is the same and that's why gaming consoles also tried to provide (even incomplete) multimedia center options. XBMC's just going at it from the othe end.

I'll try and sum up the kind of user experience i'm hoping this budding effort will lead to.
Even though XBMC can be installed on many platforms and ran as a integrated application, i really see it's future as a living room (or elsewhere) stand-alone appliance.
But whichever the case, the user experience shouldn't differ too much.

Based on my current setup (ubuntu minimal + standalone XBMC):
- "native" games (wesnoth, nexuiz, crack-attack for the wife)
- emulators (zsnes/pcsx/etc..)
- arcade (SDLMame)
- wine games?

Hopefully the games library should present all of these games seamlessly to the user with as much info as can be scraped.
It should allow him(her) to launch the game in a way that emulates a gaming console (no fullscreen jailbreak).
The user should be able to use the required input devices for each game (e.g. bluetooth keyboard/mouse for native wesnoth, wireless games pads for SFA3 to bloody up a visiting friend). If at all possible, the application should "pre-configure" the input devices, although custom configurations should be possible using the game's interface.

I tried using the Launcher plugin in standalone mode but i had no mouse support, so i didn't pursue it much further.

So i wish best of luck to all devs involved in this project and hope others join to make this a reality sooner.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
I chose Windows over Linux for my HTPC, and got a non-integrated video card so I can play games... mind you, my HTPC couldn't play Crysis, but it runs Halflife 2 games beautifully, and using xpadder and xpadder-hook I can use the xbox360 controller both for XBMC and the games... it's nice!

I'd love to see a library view for games though, launcher is kind of clunky...
I've been following the progress on this, and I must say what has been shown and described sounds like it's getting there. Is there any way for end users to test any of this? I'm running the Windows version, so it would be hard for me to compile my own copy of XBMC without a lot of work. I'd really like to see how this is coming along, because I'm definitely a part of the group who can't wait to see this and have a seamless media experience on my HTPC.

So, how can I try this out?
i just got an email an hour or two ago from leo212 where he said he doesn't have the time to work on this further. seems you have to cross your fingers that some other game interested people will step up.
Damn Sad
Roncore Wrote:Damn Sad

Seconded! This is really all I need an XBMC will fully be the only app running on my HTPC (besides PowerDVD for Blu-Ray, and once XBMC has blu-ray I can ditch Windows for something a little more open source :-)
I am interested, and specifically charmed with hyperspin frontend:

See a video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEgaqXsavYA
Can't we create something similar in python using SDL?
Hi,

searching this feature for my HTPC too, I am really interested in this kind of plugin.
i'm not python developper (just some basis) but i can help for graphical tasks.

i've found a link which can be interesting cause you can search by rom filename, http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/

++
Hey kbalist,

you might want to check out this thread... its coming along pretty good. not sure whether it supports xbox or not. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724

John

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Games library (with database), and extend scraper interpeter/engine to include games?1