Realtime convert DTS to Dolby digital 5.1?
You need to use the provided apk for the time being. I closed my PR adding it. Huge discussion on how to do it best in a platform agnostic way to follow :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Maybe it could me made "tunable" via advancedsettings.xml (GUI option would be probably too much to ask)?

As all devices are not having this problem and as I tested, my Philips TV does not have an issue even with 448Kbit/s (DVD 5.1 Spec) only 640Kbit/s poses a problem, but there may be other platforms, which cannot handle over 384Kbits?

Not exactly sure what would be the optimal way to include it into final release.

Anyway, thank you for all of your efforts for resolving it...

I`m at least, pretty happy with the current result and I bet most MediaTek or similarly limited chipset owners are.

(2016-11-10, 20:21)fritsch Wrote: The bitrate we see here is still way too high ...

Figured this out as well, Player debug shows that high bitrate, because most likely it displays original bitrate of that DTS track, it has to transcode not the outcome... Wink
~1400-1500Kbit/s is fairly normal for 5.1 DTS
It's the original bitrate reported ... jep, got that after looking into the code.

The sane way is a gui setting: OFF 384, 448, 640 with 384 by default for android and 640 for the rest. Advanced users could tune that.

Sorry - I don't have the nerves anymore to get such valid settings into kodi code (it's always shot down internally)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Or you could let the small number of users with buggy hardware tune it with advancedsettings.xml instead og defaulting to a lower bitrate for everybody.
Not that it affects me, I'd commit suicide before touching Android =) I just think it's appropiate to use the highest bitrate possible when transcoding, and that should be the default setting.
(2016-11-11, 15:31)Soli Wrote: Or you could let the small number of users with buggy hardware tune it with advancedsettings.xml instead og defaulting to a lower bitrate for everybody.

I bet that number is not actually very small, as those SoC`s are rather popular among TV Manufacturers.
Actually I don`t personally care much, if it is an GUI setting or XML setting or baked into binary, until it is available as fallback option for users, if their HW is not capable of 640kbit/s.

Fritsch can probably comment more on possible and acceptable implementations as he actually implemented it.
I can only help out with testing it, if required.
@fritsch as I checked latest beta6 git changelog, your work did not make it (was not merged),
so we (MTK Chipset powered TV Owners) still would have to relay on your special test build?
I'm trying Beta 6 on a Sony Bravia 55XD9305. Trying to play DTS movies with AC3 transcoding results in either silence (receiver receives no audio), then video locks up after a few seconds, or audio is just a rhythmic clicking sound.

Is this the same bug that's being discussed here, or should I dig into it further?
Yeah - it's the same firmware bug. It's a sw limitation of the TV firmwares ... the kodi patch is only a workaround to provide minor quality so that these broken devices do like they would work :-)
Thank you! I'll try sideloading your APK.
http://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM/10123/ <- will result in a rebased 384000 instead of 640000 build rebased on latest Krypton work ..
(2016-12-02, 12:25)fritsch Wrote: http://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM/10123/ <- will result in a rebased 384000 instead of 640000 build rebased on latest Krypton work ..

Thank you, for taking care of our poor souls... Angel

For others, this should be it: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
(2016-12-02, 13:20)Etzi Wrote:
(2016-12-02, 12:25)fritsch Wrote: http://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM/10123/ <- will result in a rebased 384000 instead of 640000 build rebased on latest Krypton work ..

Thank you, for taking care of our poor souls... Angel

For others, this should be it: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk

And finally 5.1 works on my PUS8601...
The last problem: DTS... :-(
:-( I really find it sad, that people pay thousands of dollars for a device with broken firmware and don't have the balls to just return it ...
(2016-12-04, 13:17)raverke95 Wrote: The last problem: DTS... :-(

Cannot be done, it runs android 5.x, DTS is not supported via Offical API's, you can use transcoding to AC3.
There should be Android 6.0 coming to those, but I would not bet on it anymore.

(2016-12-04, 15:08)fritsch Wrote: :-( I really find it sad, that people pay thousands of dollars for a device with broken firmware and don't have the balls to just return it ...

Yeah, I would returned it, but unfortunately my "14 days" passed, while figuring out this problem.
Now I unfortunately have to live with it...
Problem is not with balls, but with re-sellers and their warranty policies, at least in Estonia.

In short, if I will return it to re-seller warranty center, they will fire up whatever test video file with AC3/DTS with built-in player and say "it works" and problem is with the app, talk to the developer.
Both we also know, that problem is not the app, it is actually Philips and Sony firmware, but there is 0 possibility to return anything directly to them.
OK, I'm home....... finally.
What's the status of this? Is the build from #56 the latest? Or is this now in latest nightly?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Realtime convert DTS to Dolby digital 5.1?1