XBMC Linux port updates
btw with the mac mini you can update the cpu to one of the faster ones and im sure you will be able to play all that 1080p content thats floating around Tongue
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
First off, thank you for the continued updates XBMC team. They are very appreciated to those of us that are craving this release.
And it sounds as if you are really working fast.

second:
gateway69 Wrote:btw with the mac mini you can update the cpu to one of the faster ones and im sure you will be able to play all that 1080p content thats floating around Tongue

hate to get off topic, but i gotta know: What socket does the intel mac mini use? and could someone link me (or pm me) a newegg link to a compatible faster CPU for it.

-Ash-
It's socket M. You can do it, but the mac mini is definitely not meant to be user serviceable, they're difficult to open, you'll void your warranty, and those mobile C2D's are very expensive.
Exclamation 
Please respect that the Mac Mini discussion (or any other hardware for that matter) is off-topic for this topic thread!

PS! There is already a Mac Mini discussion here => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30410
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
is it just me that gets a 500 server error almost every time they try to load the changelog? could someone maybe host it as a .txt updated every 24hours or something so the server doesn't have to generate it all the time?
Just run tools/Changelog/Changelog.py in your XBMC source dir to grab it live.
I don't actually run XBMC for linux, I just like tracking the changelog to see how its coming along. I guess that explains why no-one else is complaining though Smile
if you really want to track the commits just subscribe to the xbmc-svn mailinglist
Freddo Wrote:...could someone maybe host it as a .txt updated every 24hours or something...

I would be happy to see a summary posted ever couple months so that us less technical people can follow the progress and get an idea of when the time will be right for us to jump in and try it. By the way, it has been about two months since the last update.
Question 
Neil Wrote:I would be happy to see a summary posted ever couple months so that us less technical people can follow the progress and get an idea of when the time will be right for us to jump in and try it. By the way, it has been about two months since the last update.

Curious, what's stopping you from trying it nowHuh? Honestly, it plays most any HD video I throw at it on my setup. If you have DVD ripped as ISO it will play those too I believe. It's not 100% polished and perfect but it's pretty usable right now. Is there some specific feature that's critical for you to make the attempt? My XBOX is only used for games and for playing my DVDs in VOB\IFO format. My HD-DVD rips are played on LinuXBMC as are all of my MP3 and downloaded video. <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Curious, what's stopping you from trying it nowHuh?...

Well, for example:

Jezz_X Wrote:...we havn't got as far as making it easy for people Smile we are still trying to work out the kinks. Makign a total simple install is for later

I know that it doesn't seem so difficult for a techie like you, but I looked into Linux a little and it left my head spinning. I don't even have an Intel computer yet, only an IBM cpu, a G5. I plan to give the Mac port a try. I'm not in a big rush because I would also like to see computer prices fall a little more too. Getting the horse power to play HD is still a little pricey.
Neil Wrote:I know that it doesn't seem so difficult for a techie like you, but I looked into Linux a little and it left my head spinning. I don't even have an Intel computer yet, only an IBM cpu, a G5. I plan to give the Mac port a try. I'm not in a big rush because I would also like to see computer prices fall a little more too. Getting the horse power to play HD is still a little pricey.

Currently, both the Linux and Mac ports of XBMC run only on x86 processors, so if your Mac is a G5, or specifically, if it's not an Intel based Leopard Mac, you're out of luck for the time being.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Even the G5 is a little marginal for HD playback especially since I always have other apps running in the background. I would get something newer and dedicated for an HTPC.

Meanwhile, I have a very nice (standard definition) set-up for recording TV shows and synchronized multi-room playback. I couldn't duplicate that in HD.
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but here's hoping :0)

I've been using XBMC for about a year now and I love it. I have an extensive Movie/TV library set up and I use it almost daily. Lately, though, I've been collecting some HD videos that I'm forced to play from my PC. This is a pain, so I'm buying a dedicated HTPC to do the job for me. I'm evaluating what I should use for playback and I'm wondering if XBMC Linux will do it for me at this stage of its development. I guess the easiest question to ask would be what does XBMC currently not do on Linux that it does on xbox? What features are missing?

Thanks,

Nic
Everything core works except python scripts, but it's not entirely stable, changing some options under video decoding will crash/freeze the program, it still has some references to the Xbox including game saves, there's no user friendly install, and it requires linux proficiency.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Linux port updates3