skins and memory optimization
I've been working on my custom skin by manipulating the files from the latest Clearity beta-build. I've managed to get free memory immediately after boot up from 32 MB free to 40 MB free (e.g by replacing large images with smaller ones) but now I'm stuck.

Would you skin-gurus happen to have pointers for me on what to look for, what to avoid and what to just remove to maximize available memory? I don't mind the skin being very simplistic so all ideas are welcome.

If you think there is no added benefit on trying to gain 20 KB/200 KB/2 MB more memory by endlessly optimizing the skin, I'd like to hear that, too.

Thanks!
power of 2 rules Smile is the biggest
a texture will be stored at 1,2,4,6,8,16,32,64,128,256,512 pixels wide so if the image is 270 it will be placed into xpr at 512 wide there for wasting alot of memory

eg 270x270 image takes 4 times more mem than 256x256
That's not correct any more.

Rather, power of 2 is useful as we can use a swizzled texture (faster on xbox).

Otherwise, width as a multiple of 64 is the next best. Height doesn't matter.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thanks! Is there a particular reason why I should pack the media (.png/.jpg/etc.) files into the .xpr file or can I just keep them as individual files in .\media\ ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
skins and memory optimization0