Kodi in Windows 10. How do YOU deal with the automatic updates?
I got a 24x7 Windows 7 system with Kodi. It's nice because I have windows updates disabled. So Microsoft can't break my computer with crazy updates and no reboots required.

I'm thinking of installing Windows 10 with Kodi. But I'm concerned about the automatic updates as my system is left on 24x7. I don't want updates and I don't want "scheduled reboots". It's connected through ethernet so there's no metered connection option. Of course I like the computer capable of internet but I just don't want the dynamic OS that Windows 10 wants to be.

How do you guys deal with Windows 10's dynamic nature?
This is the closest thing I can find:

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows...indows-10/

Personally I deal with Windows updates by just doing them.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
Disable windows update service and use Windows Update MiniTool. It will turn the service back on, but after a reboot the service will be back to off. Or you could kill it after running this tool. It grabs from official windows servers using the update service, but it's waaaay quicker than stock update in my experience.
I use gpedit.msc. See this guide. I actually disable them completely and periodically check manually for updates.

Therefore for max flexibility I would only upgrade to the Win 10 pro version
All these are good options.
Myself, I find that, at least if 'active hours' are properly defined, its easiest just to let it happen.
Of course, sometimes MS messes up so sometimes 'repairs' will still be required (like the much anticipated anniversary update).
Windows 10 for me has a much better experience with automatic updates. I just set my active hours and allow the updates.
Liking control of the software I use, and having spent many hours solving problems for others caused by unbiddden Windows updates, I was not happy about Win10 updates being compulsory and almost payed out for pro.

Disabling the windows update service seems to have worked, although an unexpected update happened early on when I installed Adobe Acrobat. I will manually update when I feel the need.
I have Windows 10 Pro and I disabled automatic reboot after updates and manually check for updates in the Group Policy Editor. I looked it up on the web.

I was compiling LibreELEC on a Virtual Machine and the Windows Host rebooted on me. At least this time, I am in control when I install the updates and reboot the computer.
Use Linux.
Ok, great replies people. Thanks for the suggestions. Devil

I think I'll go with the metered ethernet registry hack. The previous article says that the gpedit hack doesn't work anymore if you have AU. Sad
I'm capable of installing the Pro version, so that could have worked if I needed it.
I think the metered connection should stop other unwanted updates too, like other apps or maybe even One Drive from spontaneously updating itself.

I've gone without updates in Windows 7 for a year before on my Kodi box. So Windows 10 shouldn't be any different. I only use that machine for Kodi 99% of the time. The 1% is checking Kodi's website for information and the occasional YouTube audio binge in the web browser.
(2016-10-07, 06:54)Skram0 Wrote: The previous article says that the gpedit hack doesn't work anymore if you have AU. Sad

This article suggests that it still does

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi in Windows 10. How do YOU deal with the automatic updates?0