• 3(current)
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] MPlayer porting to XBMC for Linux/Mac/Windows?
none apart from deinterlacing at the moment.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for replying.

So, reading this means that xbmc video playback quality on original xbox hardware "might be better" because mplayer (with video postprocessing) is (or can be) used, while current linux version uses "dvdplayer" which does not have any postprocessing steps at the moment...

I'm even more :confused2:
XBMC for Linux is still under early (pre-alpha) development, please read this:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit...rt_project

This does not mean that XBMC for Linux will use MPlayer in the future, instead we are more likely to improve on the features and functions on our DVDPlayer:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit...d_Features
...if you are a C/C++ programmer yourself then feel free to submit patches:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?tit...ment_Notes

This has been discussed in a number pf previous threads already in this forum.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
So just out of curisoty I remember in the old days on xbox xbmc, we had the option to switch to an experimintal player, could this option be added and anyone with the skills enough to get mplayer in which has alot more of the filtering and postprossing in?

I know its not an easy task and If I was a c++ programmer I could potentially help but my stuck with php and python as my skills at the moment.

What is the issue with using mplayer? Maybe this was already hit in a thread before, im not trying to start a stir but from my stand point looking at all the open source stuff it seems to be the most supported and mature of the players out their.

I do have to agree with Amode, videos look better on my old xbox than the linux version and yes I know its in alpha, just curious on the decision to use dvdplayer over other more mature players.

I want to make clear this is just constructive criticism, and totally respect the team and what they are doing for the Linux Port.
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
postprocessing is disabled by default on standard xbox too as it pretty much always resulted in worse quality. only way to enable it was from advancedsettings.xml. any difference against linux build must be in renderers or tv output, has nothing todo with player.

Quote:postprocessing is disabled by default on standard xbox too as it pretty much always resulted in worse quality.

how do you explain that enabling postprocessing on stand-alone mplayer actually enhances quality? Might this be related to the used version of mplayer?
i don't explain it since if i could it would have been fixed Smile. one issue seem to be it toggling between different levels all the time. thou not verified

hrm, lost my first response...

Anyway, just so I'm on the same page - is DVDplayer capable of playing DVD right now? So far neither I nor a friend of mine have been able to accomplish this:o I have ripped my DVD in VOB\IFO format and I think he was using a physical DVD. Mine hung buffering, his also hung apparently. Is there some support that we've not loaded? My understanding was that the code was still being worked and that this part was currently broken - is that no longer the case? I'm not willing to change the format of what I've ripped, there are simply too many DVDs (600+). Getting this working would be huge and allow me to use the Linux box pretty much full time!
ripped and decss'd should work just fine. encrypted only works on some drives it seems.

elupus Wrote:ripped and decss'd should work just fine. encrypted only works on some drives it seems.

Thank you for the confirmation! Are you having success as VOB/IFO or as ISO? I've reloaded on Ubuntu Desktop and yet to try again, perhaps this time I'll be more successful. Previously both I and my friend were on Mythbuntu which I figured would support DVD but heck who knows heh.

P.S. thought I was losing my mind - moving a thread and then resurrecting a similar one screwed me upWink
I think the whole thread issue was lost here, we basically had a guy asking about some various filtering and post processing, and I just went back and watched the same video on my xbox and linux xbmc and you can really tell the difference. now with that said, with xbmc linux being said its alpha and people screaming for mplayer type of support or a wrapper what gives ?

and what is dvdplayer? I have hard of ffmpeg, vlc, mplayer but not dvdplayer? is it easier to implement? Does it have all the snazzy filtering and post processing mplayer has?

anyhow.... just curious asking questions, I know the dev's get mad when you ask questions that go against what they are planning.. Confused
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
Quote:we had the option to switch to an experimintal player

Hey, this sounds fine and usefull to me. Why was such an option dropped? This entire discussion would be useless, if we have the option - for people who want it - to start an external player application.

Just my two cents here Wink
Isn't the whole XBMC-linux almost experimental as of now Smile

I'd say it's better for now to just strengthen one and give that one good stability.
Exclamation 
Anyone who replies to this topic thread should first start by reading all the previous questions and answers in this topic thread. You guys keep asking the same questions over and over again, ...if you just bothered to read what others have posted before you then you would know the answers already! I'm starting to get pi**ed off so the next person who ask something that have clearly already been answered just mifght get themself a wanring and a 10-day timeout from posting in this forum!

gateway69 Wrote:now with that said, with xbmc linux being said its alpha and people screaming for mplayer type of support or a wrapper what gives?
XBMC for Linux is still classified by us as PRE-ALPHA actually:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Linux_port_project
Quote:Note to XBMC end-users! Please understand that this Linux port project is not yet mature enough for a regular end-user to play with. We can not yet give you an ETA as to when it will be useful for end-users. Respect that we can not accept any bug-reports or feature/function-requests for this Linux port yet, nor do we offer support to end-users. If you are an end-user and have any general questions or need to get something off your chest about this then please direct that towards the existing XBMC Linux port end-user discussion topic-thread in our community-forum. If, however, you are a developer or have Linux expertise, we encourage you to keep reading to find out how you can help.

gateway69 Wrote:and what is dvdplayer? I have hard of ffmpeg, vlc, mplayer but not dvdplayer? is it easier to implement? Does it have all the snazzy filtering and post processing mplayer has?
DVDPlayer is Team-XBMC's own made video player core, (based on FFmpeg).
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?title=DVDPlayer
More detailed information is available here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=10216
the bool setting that let you load an alternative mplayer-dll back in the days... has fuck all to do with anything. read, understand what we have written and if you're not capable of that, just accept it.

alternatively supply a patch but stop reiterating the same things over and over again - that's what makes us angry not ppl questioning our decisions.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] MPlayer porting to XBMC for Linux/Mac/Windows?0