• 4(current)
[XBOX] T3CH Upgrader (Python Script)
so maybe you could exclude "default" sources from the file that's copied over, I know that might get complicated
Hi BBB,

For more on wat Affini needs done see thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28199

I did half of it but didn't get around to having time to build a GUI.
BigBellyBilly Wrote:Affini:

Could I just clarify:

Your example of excludes, is list of saved files/folder you'd like to copy from your smb location over the new installation after the extraction is complete ?

My confusion is because that reads just like what you want you INCLUDE list to do too ?

As it stands, the downloaded rar is extracted to its own folder, it doesn't overwrite anything. So I think the list you propose, really only are INCLUDES, those that you want copying (to the new build) from your own smb location ?

I'm thinking a full update routine... so Excludes would be needed since most of the files you'd want to update, except (excluding) the files the user has mod'd (e.g. customized) -- anything in the UserData, other XMLs in the Skins folders, etc.
If you, by default, set everything to overwrite and only Exclude the specific files you want to keep, there are far less items to specify. Nod
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I think that is a good point.
...on a side note regarding this updater:
My softmod is loading from evoxdash.xbe on my E: drive. The upgrader swaps out the dashes on C:. I was driving Big Belly Billy and myself crazy until I discovered my xbox was actually using the evoxdash.xbe on the E: drive.

I remember once when I did a softmod it asked where to load from, but now that I do it, it just asks which dash to load but not where the loader is. Can someone give me a clue on how to get it to load from C:? I am going to check out the new SID 5.01, maybe this option has made it back in....or most likely it has been so long I have forgotten something.
Question 
Maybe there is a way to auto-detect if an Xbox is softmodded (and which softmod it uses?)?

Like check the file-size of the modded/hacked files or something? ...I got HW modchips myself
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I don't want this script to become that complicated, which unfortunately means it wont do everything your asking.
It initial idea was to save having to ftp UserData, scripts,plugins to a PC then back over the new installation. That alone saved a load of time and was good enough, imo.

Extra file/folder coping could be done from having a simple 'include' text file, which would have lines like:

<some_remote_location>/folder/filename=<local_folder_location>/

eg
smb://..../hostpc/mystoredfiles/PMIII/home.xml=<installation_path>/skins/pmiii/

At present this is a manual user created text file. GUI maintenance could be added.

Also added a setting of 'Location of Shortcuts' (eg. E:\) to accomodate those with softmods that dont use C:\

I've added in more checking to see if the extraction was success, as sometimes it only partially unpacks, why, i've no idea, the builtin doesnt throw an exception or a status.
Best I can do is check the new build path exists?
Retired from Add-on dev
BBB,
I see what you are getting at now. It would end up with the same outcome as what I was looking for... just one added step, keeping a folder/file structure with the custom files on a PC to be available for your script to "pull" from. That will work. Thanks!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
i just tried b10 and here are my impressions:

1. The script works fine unless you don´t choose your actual XBMC-folder as the installation-path. Then you get an error (b10) or the script can´t unrar the file (b8), afair.

2. Installation Path:
The Script shound mention, that a subfolder (e.g. T3CH XBMC 2007-10-28 SVN rev10638) is created, see 3.

3. Subfolder Name:
The Name of the subfolder should be shortened:
not: T3CH XBMC 2007-10-28 SVN rev10638
e.g.:20071028 rev10638
it´s easier to read in the filemanager fo me (4:3 PAL). I´ve installed XBMC-builds to "F:\xbmc\T3CH XBMC xxxx-xx-xx SVN rev xxxxx". For me the subfoldername can be "20071028 rev10638", i know it´s XBMC Wink

4. Files "inside" new Release
the subfolder "_tools" and "win32" and all the other files (copying.txt, ...) should be deleted, no one needs them Wink

5. Why is there a subfolder "xbmc"?
The script should do a "clean install" of xbmc without a extra subfolder xbmc (see 3.)

6. Why not extract the RAR to an tmp-folder and copy only the necessary files to the installation-path?
That would give a cleaner install without unnecessary files like the "win32"-things on the xbox. This would also help with 5.
The tmp folder could be deleted via autostart script inside the NEW xbmc. If xbmc starts correctly, the tmp folder can be deleted.

Thats enough for the moment.
Thx for writing the script, keep up the good work!
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
BigBellyBilly Wrote:I've added in more checking to see if the extraction was success, as sometimes it only partially unpacks, why, i've no idea, the builtin doesnt throw an exception or a status.

Hi BBB, I've recently discovered this very same problem with some Vobsubs. Problem is that they sometimes don't extract fully.
I'm currently trying to find a developer willing to spend some time on our unpacker code (it's real messy code I've been told)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

use Z: for temporary stuff, its cleared upon reboot Smile
i thought it was X: :-S
I really needed this to make my script work, X: is cleared for me but not others.
I will try Z: then :-D
Thanks blittan
I am pretty sure that X: get cleared on reboot, and that Z: does not get cleared on reboot Huh

Can anyone confirm?
I've worked some more on script. Now upto b16

This adds several things.

New Settings Menu - Allows you to change/view individual settings without having to redo them all

New Setting: Shortcut location Drive: (E: or CSmile This accomodates people whos softmod is setup to use shortcust other than C:

New Main Menu option: Custom File Copy - Use this to select files from your current build (eg any special modeed files from skins etc) that will get copied over in final stage.
As script doesnt overright folders that come with new build (eg PMIII) thats when you'd need to specify extra files (eg. home.xml)

Managed to sort out rar extraction and the folders reporting no existing.
Had to implement a waiting loop that repeatedly sleeps/checks until os reports it as existing. Seems to take about an extra 20 secs. But it works.
This check also prevents script from carrying on and failing to do other copies to a new build path that doesn't exist.

Additional folder copying of: Plugins and visualizations

Lots of code tidying.

I'd advise deleting any existing UserData ... settings.txt file, so it starts from a fresh (some option names have changed)

get it HERE (limited downloads for 7 days)

cheers
BBB
Retired from Add-on dev
I should also add:

Unrar path is shortened to \T3CH_<date>

It delete rars on exit but only if extraction was ok

The final path consists of <build_name>/xbmc cos thats whats inside the rar.
The build_name is used as a root folder so to make it unique from one upgrade to the next.

I could get it to delete the extra files, but they don't use up much space.

You shouldn't be able to pick Q: for any of the settings paths now.

I would like to see the extract builtin use a Progressdialog somehow, it would give better indication to user as to whats happening.
but, if thats not possible, at least return error_success, at moment it returns nothing.

BBB

PS. Sorry for my lack of input over last few days, work got busy and forum wasnt sending notifications (?)
Retired from Add-on dev
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] T3CH Upgrader (Python Script)1