• 3(current)
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks
Shuey Wrote:Bump again. I don't think we're asking for a lot here and we're not asking for anything that is unreasonable. I've heard of plenty of people reading comic books from xbmc, so why not ebooks in pdf format? Magazines are also considered "media", so why are there people that want to make a big deal about it and say "it's not media!" when it certainly is?
I also think E-books and documents is media. "E-books/Documents" in XBMC would be useful to me. And maybe with support for other formats than PDF (txt, rtf, doc, html, nfo, ...). But PDF is the most important/useful one.
To get things going: MuPDF

It is GPLv3 it is available for: Windows, Linux, MacOSX even OpenBSD...

I think this would be a perfect start for anyone willing to integrate this into XBMC. It is quite clear that people would love to see this happen and with the resolutions of the average TV having gone up from 500 something by nothing to 720 or even 1080 by a lot more the readability should no longer be a reason not to do this.

I might have a go at this my self though if I get this working we are looking at at least another few months before I have enough time to really understand the code and work this thing in without breaking stuff. Blush
rcoops Wrote:To get things going: MuPDF

Cool, thanks for the info/link. And I agree, this looks like it'd be a good choice.

I recently discovered that someone made a Comic Reader plugin, so now I'm even more surprised that we don't have a PDF Reader plugin of some kind.

Hopefully this will become a reality someday soon Smile
I seen this program on source forge it is open source pdf reader and create library. Someone may know what to do with it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/clown/
I ditto this!

I have mass amounts of PDF's I use in my woodworking workshop. (I also use the instructable DVD's/Vids and more) That said, Instructables have the ability to give you a PDF, so why not make it part of the xbmc-player? Surely (as mentioned before) it is a media, just like all other medias? It could be a BIG addin as a media-library!

Just my 10c
cyber7
Do you have any idea how bad for your eyes this would be?
Although I don't pretend to read books in my TV, I've started a epub collection and it would be great if XBMC could add a menu entry for books (calibre or itunes style)

In iTunes you can browse your book covers, get information from the metadata in the book although you cannot read the book.
I'd like that option in XBMC so if I want to know whether I have a book or not I could check directly without having to go back to my PC, login in, starting a program ... etc

Of course absolutely stunning would be to select one (or many) books and get XBMC to send them to a e-reader (since most of them have Wi-Fi today)

Imagine browsing your book collection in your TV and lending a friend an ebook just with a couple of clicks Shocked

PS: Books are media too!
GJones Wrote:Do you have any idea how bad for your eyes this would be?

Actually, not bad at all. Have you tried it before you piped inHuh

1) Load an e-magazine in Foxit Viewer (Adobe Acrobat's resolution is the shits compared to Foxit for some reason, and Foxit is 7mb vs Acrobat's 221mb installed size!)

2) Set it to display "Single Page" (1-up)

3) Set the display scale to "Fit Width"

4) hit F11 to go fullscreen (not really necessary, but it cleans up the interface by getting rid of useless toolbars and scrollbars)

5) use PGUP and PGDN to scroll up and down in pages to read the columns, and to switch pages

6) Look at that on your 50" HDTV - it is *perfectly* readable from 10' away, looks awesome, and is totally functional!

6 years ago when this request was first made, I could see there being limited value, but today, emagazines are definitely the way to go, and are also definitely considered "media".

I wholeheartedly second the request to add this functionality (including cataloging of the magazines into a similar library with cover-art browsing)!

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow Wrote:Actually, not bad at all. Have you tried it before you piped inHuh

1) Load an e-magazine in Foxit Viewer (Adobe Acrobat's resolution is the shits compared to Foxit for some reason, and Foxit is 7mb vs Acrobat's 221mb installed size!)

4) hit F11 to go fullscreen (not really necessary, but it cleans up the interface by getting rid of useless toolbars and scrollbars)

5) use PGUP and PGDN to scroll up and down in pages to read the columns, and to switch pages

6) Look at that on your 50" HDTV - it is *perfectly* readable from 10' away, looks awesome, and is totally functional!

6 years ago when this request was first made, I could see there being limited value, but today, emagazines are definitely the way to go, and are also definitely considered "media".

I wholeheartedly second the request to add this functionality (including cataloging of the magazines into a similar library with cover-art browsing)!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

Any eye doctor will tell you not to read many pages from a screen across the room. Just because you can see it does not mean it's good for you. The question is not whether people read digital media (two ereaders in my house) but whether the TV is the best place to accomplish this.
I don't believe that for one minute...

My eye doctor tells me to read *several* pages of text from right across the room *every* time I go to see her!

Cheers
The REAL Joe
She must really like a lot to see you... Stare
Ok, next time you go in ask your eye doctor if you should spend hours reading a book from the TV. The doctor will look at you like you've lost your mind.

There is a reason that good e-readers don't use the same technology that TVs do. Books aren't backlit. Most people naturally adjust books to the sweet spot in their vision by moving the book closer or further away. Are you going to move your chair to reduce eyestrain?

Can you display PDF files on a TV? Yes. Does that make it a good idea read books off of a TV screen for hours on end? No.
+1 !

A major cause of Nearsightedness is only looking at things close up.
Looking at things near and far is giving your eyes a workout and very likely good for all us heavy computer/phone users rather than a bad thing.

therealjoeblow Wrote:Actually, not bad at all. Have you tried it before you piped inHuh

Cheers
The REAL Joe
Excuse me, but are there people in this topic discussing the eventual eyestrain from using pdfs in xbmc? How absurd is that? To put it simple: that is none of your business, that's up to the users.

Ok first the facts: pdfs are one of the most used mediums for text, images or both, nowadays.
Pdfs frequently hold content like comic books, magazines, newspapers, articles, product manuals, mini-presentations, customized photo albums, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc and some more etc.
As some users have described, most pdfs displayed on a large screen tv are perfectly readable, and can conveniently be displayed with 2 pages on-screen at the same time.
If some are, indeed, not readable, due to font size or type, the user will be the first to notice. "Zoom" is also something that has long been invented.
Given the enormous variety of pdf files and types of content, it seems absurd to claim the inutility of such a feature, with subjective reasoning such as "it's not a good idea to read books off a tv screen for hours on end", as gjones stated.
Why "hours on end"? A short article can be read in 2 minutes. Why "books"? Pdfs can hold varied forms of text and picture content.
And even if the user wanted to read 20 pages of Dickens on his large screen tv, displayed with a proper font, would it really be that bad? And wouldn't that be the user's problem, not ours?

Any media center should be obliged to support pdf as much as reading picture files, jpgs, pngs, or just plain text files.

And there are people here saying "you shouldn't use that on your tv, it's bad for your eyes"Huh Please!!
pingomister Wrote:Excuse me, but are there people in this topic discussing the eventual eyestrain from using pdfs in xbmc? How absurd is that? To put it simple: that is none of your business, that's up to the users.

Ok first the facts: pdfs are one of the most used mediums for text, images or both, nowadays.
Pdfs frequently hold content like comic books, magazines, newspapers, articles, product manuals, mini-presentations, customized photo albums, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc and some more etc.
As some users have described, most pdfs displayed on a large screen tv are perfectly readable, and can conveniently be displayed with 2 pages on-screen at the same time.
If some are, indeed, not readable, due to font size or type, the user will be the first to notice. "Zoom" is also something that has long been invented.
Given the enormous variety of pdf files and types of content, it seems absurd to claim the inutility of such a feature, with subjective reasoning such as "it's not a good idea to read books off a tv screen for hours on end", as gjones stated.
Why "hours on end"? A short article can be read in 2 minutes. Why "books"? Pdfs can hold varied forms of text and picture content.
And even if the user wanted to read 20 pages of Dickens on his large screen tv, displayed with a proper font, would it really be that bad? And wouldn't that be the user's problem, not ours?

Any media center should be obliged to support pdf as much as reading picture files, jpgs, pngs, or just plain text files.

And there are people here saying "you shouldn't use that on your tv, it's bad for your eyes"Huh Please!!

Then by all means, write it yourself. The idea behind feature suggestions is to rally support for something needed, not something wanted by a few people.

Yes, PDF usage is extremely widespread. That has little to do with this request for ebook support. Web browsers are even more widespread, but there is still a lot of discussion to just how useful they are for a 10-foot interface.

If you have a suggestion, you have two options. Be willing to sell someone else (a developer) on the idea of its vast importance or be willing to learn enough to do it yourself.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks1