The 'xbox feel' in Linux ?
Are there current hardware configurations that give the same (or better) look & feel as xbmc on the xbox ? Are there remote sensors that would accept the normal xbox remote ?

I'm a long time xbmc user and love everything about it, including the remote. If/when I make the switch to the Linux version in order to play HD content, I would like it to feel as close to the xbox as possible. I'm not planning on using a mouse or anything.

What's the general consensus about this ? Would I be able to make the switch "invisible" to other users than me in my house ?
? The Xbox remote is a piece of crap. Any other remote would be an improvement imo.

The biggest problem is still to find a small form factor quiet cheap lowpower computer to be able to run 1080p24 x264 etc. I don't think it exists and those that come close cost like 10 times as much
I bought a Harmony 880 a while back and used it for a little while but ended up reverting to the xbox remote. To each his own, I guess Big Grin
of course, I use a cordless logitech controller Tongue
If you're talking about the standard xbox remote, that thing IS a piece of crap lol...Not sure why you would want to have to work with something that has so few buttons, doesn't allow much flexibility. On the other hand, if you're talking about the media center remote, that thing's pretty good. I really don't find myself missing anything, about 99 percent of the time, I prefer it over my logitech controller. It would be nice if support could be added for the media center remote i think...but honestly I don't see the point in the standard one, but perhaps it will be added as well. I have actually been wondering how they will approach the remote issue. Will they be finding one or two really good, solid, easily available, and reasonably priced remotes and adding default support for these, and then you have to add in any other remotes you get yourself, or will you have to do that for any remote you use?
I would guess that there will be an "officially supported" remote. It will be either something that will be bundled with whatever "officially supported" hardware package they decide to go with or will just be a third party remote that is easiest to implement/versatile enough to meet their needs. But it being based on an open system, you can hack in any other control device you like, a different remote (i still have my old tivo series 2 remote, hope to use that if i get ambitious enough to find the ir codes, it really is one of the most ergonomic remotes i have used). Since i'm considering picking up a nokia n800 or n810 internet tablet, a control scheme based on that would be very nice, no IR required, control it through wifi. something to look into...
I'm using the wiimote from the Nintendo Wii and it's mostly great. Few buttons that do everything I need a remote to do and bluetooth instead of crappy IR.

What I do miss from the Xbox remote are the analog triggers for RW and FF and scrolling in large directories and the analog stick for pinpoint seeking in files.

With the wiimote I can only jump 1 min. or use the on-screen controls which kind of suck.
Both the Xbox1 dvd remote and the MCE2005 remote are operational in XBMC Linux
ultrabrutal Wrote:The biggest problem is still to find a small form factor quiet cheap lowpower computer to be able to run 1080p24 x264 etc. I don't think it exists and those that come close cost like 10 times as much

I've just bought a PS3 for this purpose. BluRay-player and _LOTS_ of raw power for all kinds of codecs. The gutsy install failed me but i'll try make another try at it. I especially like XBMC's design choices, like the SDL (minimal overhead at the core) and Python for high-level-scripting (easy to extend, low time to action).

Any success stories on XBMC for PS3? Or anything on ppc?
I prefer the xbox1 remote to any others ive tried. Subjective choice i guess.
Soulfly Wrote:I've just bought a PS3 for this purpose. BluRay-player and _LOTS_ of raw power for all kinds of codecs. The gutsy install failed me but i'll try make another try at it. I especially like XBMC's design choices, like the SDL (minimal overhead at the core) and Python for high-level-scripting (easy to extend, low time to action).

Good luck with that
1. ps3 linux is VERY immature, see http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php...273&page=1
2. ps3's "ppc" is not very powerful, it needs the SPE's to shine
3. no 3d acceleration on ps3 linux which our linux port already needs, and will need even more in future
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Soulfly Wrote:I've just bought a PS3 for this purpose. BluRay-player and _LOTS_ of raw power for all kinds of codecs. The gutsy install failed me but i'll try make another try at it. I especially like XBMC's design choices, like the SDL (minimal overhead at the core) and Python for high-level-scripting (easy to extend, low time to action).

OFF-TOPIC, refer to http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=19144 for any descussion on XBMC for Linux on PlayStation
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Speaking of remotes..

Is it possible to buy just an usb IR dongle for a PC? Or must you purchase a whole MCE remote kit that comes with one? I have a harmony remote that i'd rather use instead of paying 30$ for the MCE kit just for the darn dongle

Oh, and yes, i Know there are plenty of schematics on how to DIY IR dongles, but my expertise in that area is severely lacking.
stokkes Wrote:Is it possible to buy just an usb IR dongle for a PC?
yes it is, see the links at http://www.lirc.org for more information ("Commercially available")
M$ did a resonably nice remote for Media Center PC... still make them s far as I'm aware and theres plenty kicking about ebay etc...

Must admit I quite like the Xbox remote still... does what it needs to quite nicely...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The 'xbox feel' in Linux ?0